put put around on a new VFR

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by landlover, Mar 3, 2008.

1. landlover

landlover New Member

United States
    Map
    Hi, been wanting a VFR for ten years and think I am finally going to take the plunge. New rider thirty six years old and taking the MSF BRC in April, took it last year but did not buy a bike but anyway, after the course is finished going to practice in a parking lot for a while. Will the motor break in properly if I just put put around for a while?

2. Nungboy

Nungboy New Member

Map
    That is a GOOD question (and one that is likely to get very different answers). I'll start by saying "no." I think that the most important thing about breakinf in a new bike is the temperature cycling involved in "normal rides." I also am smack dab in between the "ride it very gently" factory recommendations and the "rise it like you stole it" approach of taking it almost to redline from the start (see www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm). I just don't think putting around in a parking lot is a good way to break-in a bike, unless you want to ride it that way forever...if so, buy a golf cart! Why not get a loaner bike from a friend to learn the skills and then break the VFR out for the REAL RIDING? (Or, give the VFR to a friend for 250 miles of real riding to break it in and then YOU ride it in the parking lot...)

3. canib

canib New Member

Map
    I've heard you should keep it below 55mph for the first 500 miles, so you should be fine.

I know someone at OTD Cycle Sports who talked to a Honda engineer about break in period for the 2006 VFR and the engineer said, "It doesn't matter. Those engines don't loosen up for the first 25 thousand miles anyway."

4. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    No puttzing allowed. Really. you need to get it up to a good operating temp, puttzing around will IMO not really bring it up to temp like it should, and stop and go traffic is a no no too. during this period. No high winding free load, meaning no run ups in neutral where one redlines it. best to go out and about say a 50 mile ride going up through the gears backing off on the throttle here and there, don't lug it either, keep it loosely spinning pretty easy to do just a lot of say up through 3rd-4th and back down shifting, then up shifting. you can go past the 6k rpm limit too, thing to remember here is to keep it from over working avoid an over stressed situation where a lot of heat is generated for a while. For the most part your bike or any new bike for that matter is like 90% broke in all ready, but man don't go puttzing around. on't forget to change the oil when you get home too, once you see it, you'll know why I say this.

5. Nungboy

Nungboy New Member

Map
    Boy Howdy, RVFR! ...what he said!

RVFR says it a bit more directly than I did...it is about getting it heated up properly, but not too hot. Then rest it, then do it again...with all the caveats that he mentions. But the parking lot thang just doesn't sound right...

RVFR likes this.
  6. elf800

elf800 Banned

break in by the book

your gonna spend around 10-11k for a great machine but breakin in a parking lot will get it hot!!!!!!! heat is the enemy :eek: at least try to get it up to 45mph on a less traveled road be careful be safe welcome to biker world :cool: ohh i heard you can downgrade your exhaust for 15 dollars.........:confused:

7. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Could, maybe, if there is one in the area to do a dyno break in, it's what I'll do next time around.

8. Big3

Big3 New Member

buy a "cheap" bike learn to ride then buy the NEW VFR

9. Lgn001

Lgn001 Member

United States
    Map
    I tend to agree with Big3 on this. The VFR is a wonderful motorcycle, but you can pick up a used Ninja 250 for about $2000, learn about everything including driveway and/or parking lot tip-overs, and sell it for almost what you paid for it.

If you have access to some dirt riding, a dual sport bike is even better to learn on. You get used to riding on limited-traction surfaces, how to react when the bike moves around, and all of the hand and foot controls become second nature. And if/when you fall in the dirt, it doesn't do a lot of damage to you or the bike.

End of lecture. If your heart is set on the VFR, there are currently lots of used ones with a couple of thousand miles on them that are relatively inexpensive, and already broken in (food for thought). Parking lot speeds, just like stop and go driving, are really tough on an engine.

10. pontiacformula99

pontiacformula99 New Member

A Ninja 250 IMO is not a good starter bike at all. 1. It's too light, the wind will kill you 2. The front brakes are touchy and will cause the bike to lowside 3. No Umph when it counts.

I know this topic has been around a time or two, but I believe that no matter what you ride your going to drop it. And being ex-military I've ALWAYS been told and have tought my troops to "Train as you fight". In other words... If you want a VFR learn to ride it and keep your own limits in mind. Your on the right track with the classes. Just respect your abilities and know your limitations. The Viffer is not a difficult bike to ride, just watch for traffic and no matter what - keep your cool in tight situations.

p.s.
    If you do get a 250 let Canib know and he can do an exhaust can for'ya

11. Alaskan

Alaskan Member

United States
    Map
    A bit of controversy here (and you thought you would get THE answer, I bet!). I think a used Ninja 250 is absolutely the BEST starter bike because it is light for low-speed manueverability and is definitely forgiving of noob errors. It's a real motorcycle too. You can smoke your 600 supersport buddies on The Dragon and commute on it too. The only drawback is that it has lots of expensive plastic that will get ruined when you drop it as you crab-walk in the parking lot (every new rider does it, so don't worry!), but who gives a rip? It's a good starter bike and one I wouldn't mind as a cheap-o third or fourth bike myself (although I am leaning toward a Derby or small-displacement Aprilia for fun - or maybe a cheap Suzuki Supermotard).

12. Puma Cat

Puma Cat New Member

Agreed on all points. It's also a great bike for novice roadracers. I learned stuff riding a 250 Ninja for two months that I didn't learn on my 500 Interceptor (my first bike) in the first 18 months.

Alaskan likes this.
  13. billy356

billy356 New Member

Yes you will drop it, everyone agrees on that and I think we all have done it. But dont look at it as a negative, drop it twice in a parking lot (or at a 4-way stop on a hill when you sneeze violently and pop the clutch, then try to pick it up with your shield fogged and it trying to roll on you) and you will get very good at repairing scratches in your paint!

PS the VFRs are HEAVY, it takes a little experience to just be able to manuver it safely without losing your balance. Its hard to get overwhelmed by the weight of a ninja 250.

14. Lgn001

Lgn001 Member

United States
    Map
    Now THAT made me laugh! Mostly because it sounds so familiar. Like the first time you give it too much throttle from a full stop and it starts to get away from you, but you try to hold on to it which makes you twist the throttle even more, so you end up lying on the bike with your legs dangling behind you for a short distance until you fall down in the middle of the intersection...

15. Alaskan

Alaskan Member

United States
    Map
    I have seen that on You Tube!