Put on my Helibars this morning.

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by FJ12rydertoo, Feb 26, 2009.

1. FJ12rydertoo

FJ12rydertoo Member

United States
    Map
    Man, talk about a piece o' cake!!

I put these on my 5th gen in about 2-2 1/2 hours. I didn't run the throttle cables behind the fork tube like the instructions said, and there's no problem with smooth operation of the throttle. I used a small handheld hacksaw to trim off the stops on the master cylinders. Even getting the dampers out was no problem, they just pulled right out and I used some mineral spirits to lube them up when I put them back in. No problems with interference with the tank or the windshield.

All in all a wonderfully easy installation. Now for some nice weather to try them out. It's warm enough, but the streets are wet.

2. Knife

Knife Member

United States
    I've had trouble from day one after installing my Helibars. The throttle won't return properly. I rerouted the cables like the instructions say, but I think I'll return them to their original routing since you say you're not having any problems. Hope this cures the problem, or I guess I'll have to purchase, or have made, longer cables.

3. Hootch

Hootch New Member

United States
    Map
    I put mine on last weekend and I DID reroute the throttle cables per the instructions. They seem to be fine being behind the fork, but I wish I would have tried it without doing that. Oh well, whats done is done. I haven't had a chance to take it out yet, so I guess if I need I can change it back.

4. FJ12rydertoo

FJ12rydertoo Member

United States
    Map
    I thought I would try it without rerouting since that looked like a real PIA. It works fine with no tight spots and the throttle snaps back like it should and the idle stays the same from lock to lock. I'm dyin' to get out and try them. They do feel good just sitting there.

5. Kevin_70

Kevin_70 New Member

hey Knife, I don't have the install instructions in front of me but I do recall a statement in there about if you didn't put the damper back in correctly it could have this effect on the throttle. Have you checked that?

6. Y2Kviffer

Y2Kviffer Insider

United States
    Map
    One damper on mine was a bear to get out, the other no problem. To reroute the cables I just took it apart at the throttle rather than remove the triple clamp as in the directions.

7. cstmvfrguy

cstmvfrguy New Member

Map
    anybody got pics of the helibars especially on a first or second gen?

8. Hootch

Hootch New Member

United States
    Map
    I removed the triple clamp as pe the instructions. I was a bit nervous about it and was dreading it, but they came off and went back on very easily. Just had to make sure to torque everything back to specs.

9. SLOVFR

SLOVFR Member

United States
    Map
    When will people learn that we will not believe you without video or pictures?

10. Hootch

Hootch New Member

United States
    Map
    I truly meant to take pictures and do a write up for the 5th gen install, bit Ottrod's write-up worked pretty good for me. I did start to take pictures as I started the job, but then got zoned out and involved in the project and was 3/4 of the way done when I noticed the camera sitting on the back of the work bench. Sometimes I get a little too focused on one thing.

My apologies to all the 5th genners out there. Please feel free to shoot me a PM if you have any questions...I have a pretty good memory still :)

11. FJ12rydertoo

FJ12rydertoo Member

United States
    Map
    Ditto, the write up for the 6th gen was so much like a 5th that I didn't see enough difference to mention. I followed his write up and it worked like a champ.

12. Blackcloud

Blackcloud New Member

Map
    I am awaiting another warm day to install mine on an 06. Are there any secrets or tips that you guys have found that would simplify my install?

13. Hootch

Hootch New Member

United States
    Map
    Here's the link to Ottrod's 6th gen install. Very helpful.

http://vfrworld.com/forums/modifications/15496-6th-gen-heli-bar-install-see-before-you-try.html

The hardest part is getting the damper units out. Use lots of alcohol to lube them up...it helps a bunch. Also, when you are getting the little triangle retainer tabs pushed in, be careful not to tear up the rubber on the outside rubber. Take the stock bars off the bike and put them in a vise to get them out. I wrapped them in a towel, put them in a vise I have mounted on my work bench, outer end up so that the "rise" of the bars would catch on the bottom of the vise and then just pulled them up. You have to pull hard.

14. btay67

btay67 New Member

Map
    FJ12rydertoo,
    Nice, I really like mine but I never actually had the originals so I'm not sure how big a differance they made. My VFR came with them installed. Have you installed the brake lines yet? I thought I read were you had orderd a new set.

15. FJ12rydertoo

FJ12rydertoo Member

United States
    Map
    Not having access to a good vise, I removed the dampers while the handlebars where still on the bike. I put the weight back on the end, after removing the grip, so I would have something to get a good grip on, and just pulled hard, after pushing down the "triangles" and getting them started with a small screwdriver. I didn't use anything to lube them for removal, and the left one came out easily. The right one was a bit more difficult but no real problem. I did use some mineral spirits to lube them up before putting them in the Helibars. I did that before I installed them on the bike. Easy, peasy.

16. FJ12rydertoo

FJ12rydertoo Member

United States
    Map
    No, not yet, I've got them down there in the garage, but am putting it off so I don't have the bike apart if the weather turns nice. There's been some rumors of nice days in the near future, so I'm optimistic. But so far: :smow:

I hate bleeding bleedin' brakes.

17. Blackcloud

Blackcloud New Member

Map
    Thanks To All!

18. Knife

Knife Member

United States
    I believe the damper is in correctly. The little tabs are where they should be. I'll take another look, though. Thanks for the suggestion!

Something strange is going on, though. I went for a long ride yesterday and the throttle snapped back perfectly. Poltergeist maybe? :scared: :evil: :shocked: :suspicious::fear: