Prospective '91 VFR750 buyer here...questions....

Discussion in '3rd & 4th Generation 1990-1997' started by wyldemannn, Jul 23, 2005.

1. wyldemannn

wyldemannn New Member

Guys, I'm looking at purchasing a '91 VFR750. Bone stock, runs excellent, 23k miles. Front left caliper is weeping slightly, and fork seals are weeping slightly. Bike has sat for approx 1 year. I'm trading a '96 Vulcan 800a w/ 10k miles for it. My bike is worth $2100, the VFR $2300. Is this a good deal? This will be my first sportbike, but I am a responsible rider who grew up with a Ducati-racing father. Anything I need to look for in particular? I rode the bike today, and kind of cleaned it out for him. Took it up to 120, it runs killer and I was impressed with the power.

2. 92yellowveefer

92yellowveefer New Member

Map
    I own a '92 that I bought brand new. As I've owned quite a few bikes through the years, the veefer is the only one I can't part with. With 23K miles, not only should you replace the seals and brake lines, put in some progressive rate springs - makes a world of difference. Check the brake pads too. I would also suggest getting a set of GenMar risers - if it doesn't already have them. As this is your first sport bike, and especially if you plan on doing any extended trips, do yourself a favor and install a pair of GenMar risers.
    $2300 sounds fair if it is generally in excellent shape- you might try and cut a couple hundred out for the brakes and forks.
    One thing you'll learn quickly is that most aftermarket parts mfgs/vendors no longer support the bike, so upgrading can be tough.
    Ebay can be a GREAT source though - and you can save a bundle.
    Some quick tips: a K&N, jet kit and new exhaust will release the inner beast. You won't beleive the difference. The stock saddle will kill your ass on a long trip, so look for a Corbin (my choice) or Seargant. Puig makes a great replacement windscreen. later model VFR "Y2K" mirros - vastly superior - will fit the bike.
    Not much else I can say I guess - best of luck!

Last edited: Feb 4, 2008
  3. michael

michael Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map