Project - 1985 VF1000R Euro - Take 2

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by straycat, Oct 28, 2020.

1. straycat

straycat Member

United States
    Map
    A couple of years ago I restored another VF1000R in the Euro colours:

https://vfrworld.com/threads/new-to-me-vf1000rs.55458/

2 big issues came out of this restoration/build:

1) The Tranny turned out to have no 2nd gear
    2) The Frame was powder-coated in a less than stellar fashion and...I suspected that the frame was slightly tweaked, there were a few tell tale signs.

Now I've left it for 2 years and have finally summoned the energy to tackle it again, this project will be another Frame Swap and a Tranny strip and re-do to replace the M2/3 gear and maybe the shift forks (we will see when I get in there).

I have 2 complete spare transmissions in my parts store, however both sets of tranny gears had a bad M2/3 with the dogs chipped. I managed to find a very nice used item out of Japan in the spring and ill use my other spares for any other issues I find in there. (other gears, or shift forks etc).

I have done pretty much everything on a bike build EXCEPT a transmission overhaul, so this will be a first for me.

The good news is, the top end can stay intact and I can split the cases with the cylinders, heads, pistons and crank in place, I have a buddy who has done it on a VF1000R.

The last of my spare frames was blasted and primed in the spring, so I just sent it to my painter for painting and to have a few clips/tabs welded on it. Wire harness clips and the fuel line clip were missing so I cut them off the bad frame I just took off the other VF1000R.

Here's where we start. I wont post alot of pictures of the strip down of the bike as everyone has seen that in my other thread, one VF1000R is much like the next. Maybe Ill just post the engine/tranny work and some pics of the build back up. I hope this is an uneventful project.

Here's the new frame at my painters place, he's just attached the replacement clips. next they will be primed and the whole frame will get paint.

Should have her back in a week, and ill let her sit around for a few weeks/months to ensure the paint is fully cured before I start any re-build with it.

IMG_4109.JPG IMG_4110.JPG

Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
    jgaskell likes this.
  2. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    Transmissions are not hard. They are tedious. You have the attention to detail and will have no problem.

I remember my first FULL transmission rebuild (ironically 2nd gear in my XR400R). When i got it apart, I thought, "Oh. Shit. I see." Everything went out for Cryo and Coat... on Honda's dime. Which meant it was gonna be apart for a while.

Having a dedicated space to dis-assemble in the "exploded" state, with no cats or children (I only have to worry about cats), is key. And a Factory SM I suppose.

You got this NO PROB.

3. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

New Zealand
    Map
    "Having a dedicated space to dis-assemble in the "exploded" state, with no cats or children (I only have to worry about cats), is key."

Or dogs; my puppy loves all things small and hard, and really enjoys 10mm sockets. I quickly learned that the Mancave floor was not a safe storage location for tools, washers, bolts and other parts when she was around. Sorry for the thread hijack, as you were...
    [​IMG]

mello dude likes this.
  4. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    Jeez, Stray... dont you take a pause, maybe a week off, quaff a few good micro brews in celebration of newly completed pristine and awesome work?

5. straycat

straycat Member

United States
    Map
    Yea, good point, ill likely not get to the tear down for a couple of weeks, unless I get really bored. Its hunting season now, so that might account for a few extra hours in the bush.

On the other hand, my strip downs take time, even if I have done it 6 times on a VF1000R. I like to write down every step, bag and tag every part. That way i'm not rushing and and making a pig's ear out of something. So I don't mind getting to the bare frame stage in November then ill continue to take my time splitting the cases and seeing whats inside.

6. straycat

straycat Member

United States
    Map

Nice Pup, my boys are finally past the stage of picking up stuff from the shop floor. 1 yr and 2yrs old...
    FullSizeRender 2.jpg

Glenngt750 and mello dude like this.
  7. sixdog

sixdog Member

United States
    Map
    Good lookin pair!

8. straycat

straycat Member

United States
    Map
    Back to the topic at hand. Here are the obligatory "before" pics.

Oh yea, and I think the Hindle will stay for now. Not sure I can bring myself to install the chopped OEM pipes with the tea pot tips. I have one VF1000R with good OEM pipes, ill leave this one with the 4into1.

IMG_1555.JPG IMG_1556.JPG

New frame is ready for pick-up tomorrow morning...

IMG_4112.JPG

Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
    Captain 80s likes this.
  9. raYzerman

raYzerman Member

Canada
    Map
    Yep, take your time. I am waiting for an invite for the shop tour and I'll slow you down, lol. I'll bring (maybe) a few bits of spare hardware to drop on the floor when you're not looking and let you fester over that after I leave.:Canada:

10. straycat

straycat Member

United States
    Map
    LOL, thats cruel.

lucky for me im a sanitary builder, all my parts are in labeled bags. Nothing on the floor here.;)

Shop tour's next summer once we get through this Pandemic

Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
    mello dude likes this.
  11. straycat

straycat Member

United States
    Map
    Opinions please.

Do I paint the 4 into 1 Hindle pipes Black or leave them Silver?

Of course the Silencer and silencer mid pipe will stay as is, But in my mind the silver paint looks a bit cheap and I'm considering black. If it were all stainless or nickel it would be different, but silver paint... not been 100% sold on it since I did it ?

Thoughts ?

Last edited: Nov 1, 2020
  12. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    If you're doing paint, black for sure. High heat silver looks cheap to me. Those were nickel plated originally.

I painted the RC26 stainless headers black. They were VERY stained and beat up. Sand blasted before coating, I am very happy with the look and durability.

straycat likes this.
  13. raYzerman

raYzerman Member

Canada
    Map
    Can you polish up the Hindles (Autosol)..... got my 5th Gen with a "silver" Two Brothers. Spent a little time on it, this may give you an idea. Hindle may have been polished originally, dunno but you could test that on a hidden area. Spent all of 20 minutes on the first pic....

Attached Files:

14. straycat

straycat Member

United States
    Map
    IMG_1555.JPG The silencer and mid pipe will stay as is (its a brushed finish on the can and a polished finish on the Mid pipe). Its just the 4 into 1 header/collector that I need to paint, its just steel and looked like shit before I painted it, didnt clean up well. So I painted it silver, but you can see the collector and the header below the fairing in the pics above, and its that silver that just doesnt seem to fit. Im thinking Black may look better ?

So to be clear. Black header and collector/ polished mid pipe as is, brushed silver end can as is

So....paint black or leave it silver ?

Last edited: Nov 1, 2020
  15. lsc86

lsc86 New Member

United States
    Map
    I'd vote for semi flat header section. Still jealous of all these 4-1 headers floating around here!

Is no shops doing gear/trans refurbs anymore (like APE and others did back in the day?)

16. A.J.B.

A.J.B. New Member

Canada
    Map
    Cerakote?

Either way, I vote for a black header for sure. PO painted the header on the VFR silver and I agree it looks like crap. My plan is to strip and paint or coat it black.

17. straycat

straycat Member

United States
    Map
    Yes, I agree on the "cheap" look.

Black it will be.

18. straycat

straycat Member

United States
    Map
    Not sure about gear and trans refurb's, but I got a nice M2/3 gear out of Japan for $70 CAD. Im sure any refurb would cost way more than that.

I have 2 full Transmissions here, but the M2/3 's are finished on both of them. they will be good for other spares If I find other issues while im in there.

19. A.J.B.

A.J.B. New Member

Canada
    Map
    stray, where in Japan do you source parts from? Just curious...

20. straycat

straycat Member

United States
    Map
    This Gear I bought off an Ebay seller in Japan.