Problem with the clutch Vfr 800 y 2006

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by Dosix, Jul 21, 2016.

1. Dosix

Dosix New Member

Well I just bought a few days ago a VFR 800 2006. Like it sound a little weird, I cleaned the chain and see how is the crown so I have to take out the odometer and the slave master cylinder, then I realize that inside was a stone like a quarter making that noise plus a lot of old grease and eventually could damage or provoke an accident. I put back everything and bleed the clutch, clean the master cylinder fill with new dot4 and take out the air but the air is coming out still, something is wrong some how the air is coming from somewhere do I have to keep bleeding I did at leas 20 times. Before everything works fine but now I can get any pressure from the clutch.

I'm thinking to take out again the slave MC to see what's going on, no oil or brake fluid is coming from the slave MC which tells me that everything is seal, so why the clutch doesn't work?

any suggestions?

I don't have any idea of motorcycle mechanic. I'm just a handy man that I want to learn what I ride, of course it's easy pay so they fix it but I believe that I have to link with my VFR so I applied common sense "1-2-3-4 and then 4-3-2-1" and some knoledge about hydraulic but I guest I'm missing something. Anybody has a diagram of the slave master cilinder?i know are a few parts but May be there is something missing and that's why the rod doesn't push the clutch? I don't know. Thanks for your answers. Hopefully my post doesn't sound stupid.

I'm from Spain I use to ride a Suzuki bandit 650 and the Vfr is my first bike in the states my after being in the US ARMY that was my next goal. Now I'm on vacation and I can't ride :(

Vfr 800 interceptor year 2006 image.jpg

2. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

Kuwait
    Map
    Hi Dosix

It does sound like you've done the right things, but you still have air in the system. This happened to me when I changed my clutch plates, I left the slave alone but the rod pushed through the other side and air got in to the slave. I could tell from the springy feel of the lever that it was not right. I did just bleed the slave (probably 2 x the master reservoir volume) and it came right.

It might pay to double check that you've got the sprocket cover and the slave bolted in tight, maybe one of these is sitting proud so the slave can't extend far enough for the clutch to disengage? Otherwise, just keep bleeding.

An old technique to get air out of hydraulics is to clamp the lever to the bar (big rubber band or similar) and leave it like that overnight, which allows air to escape back to the reservoir.

Best of luck.

3. baz263

baz263 New Member

Yes. Had the same problem a Cadbury64, when everything didn't go back together properly. Had to bleed it a few times and all was good.

Sent from my SGP512 using Tapatalk

4. Dosix

Dosix New Member

I will leave overnight the clutch pressed and if this doesn't work I will try to do a reverse bleeding I doubted to do it and now I regret it, it's easy if you feel from bottom to top with fluid so it's easier for the air to get out. The break fluid will force any air bubble to get out from he master cylinder.

Thanks for the replies I will keep you posted.

5. GreyVF750F

GreyVF750F Member

United States
    Map
    The clutch mc banjo might be below the floor of the mc like on old Interceptors. Loosen the mc and rotate so the banjo is higher then bleed. Air always get caught there and you have no clutch action. Also check to make sure the little hole in the bottom of the mc is open and not partially plugged.

6. Dosix

Dosix New Member

Well today I have time to do a reverse bleeding and it come out a lot of bubbles from the MC, as soon I pumped a few times it got pressure and finish this DIY successfully. I use a 60cl syringe and a macaron from an IV bag "don't ask how I got this" lol as you can see the theory is to easy and the practice sometimes is complicate. I never got scare at all and I will keep doing the maintenance by myself as long it doesn't required expensive tools next goal is the oil change baby steps.

Thanks to everyone because each one of you is part of this success end.
    Keep supporting the users of VFRWORLD the Comunity is what makes this place a perfect place for VFR owners

7. GreyVF750F

GreyVF750F Member

United States
    Map

?????????????
    [h=1]macaron[/h]
    [mah-kuh-rohn, ‐ron]

noun 1. a round, colored cookie consisting of a ganache or buttercream filling between two halves made from beaten egg whites mixed with sugar and ground almonds.

Origin of macaron

Lost me there Dosix......................but it sounds yummy.................

8. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
    I like cookies.

9. Dosix

Dosix New Member

Lol with macaron i meant macaroni is anything That is like a macaroni in other words a tube. But I believe you got that. My wife is English teacher and sometimes is like what?? But in still bitting her as at scrabble because I can create words easily because are Latin roots lol.

I hope you can do the recipe of that macaron because like you said sound delicious and I can tell you taste better lol I ate it at Lisbon Portugal

10. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    It's always best to bleed the mc separately at it's banjo bolt before hooking it up to the system.