Pro racers practice.

Discussion in 'Racing & Track Days' started by Bryan88, May 3, 2016.

1. Bryan88

Bryan88 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

South Africa
    Map
    Something I thought about yesterday, How/when do MotoGp and WSBK riders practice? With the restrictions placed on testing, it would appear that you get to ride your race bike (out of competition) about 6 times a year. I know they do a lot of fitness work and messing around on motocross bikes ect, but surely nothing beats getting out on a track and taking the same corner 30 times.

2. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

Besides the 3 test days following the last round in Valencia, the 9 official test days prior to the start of the season, the three official test days after Jerez, Catalunya, and Brno, and the 5 days at a nominated circuit, they also get 3.5 hours of practice each race weekend. Four practices, 45 minutes each, plus 15-30 additional minutes depending on if they go through Q1, or if they go directly into Q2. There is also a 20 minute warm up session on race day. So the approximate total is 3.5 hours of practice each race weekend. 63 hours each for a total season...and that's if they have no falls, mechanicals or injuries, not including the official test days. So it doesn't seem like much on the surface, they do get track time besides race days.

3. Bryan88

Bryan88 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

South Africa
    Map
    Yeah, I appreciate that, it just seems that they are hampered compared to other proffesional athletes who spend many hours a week honing thier skills.