Possible 2003 Purchase....need insight

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by LannyL81, Mar 16, 2022.

1. LannyL81

LannyL81 New Member

United States
    Map
    Going to look at a 2003 that seller says just shuts off when riding. Has 75k miles on it and that is all the info I have.
    I do not know what is required to get the engine re-started....time to cool down?.....IDK!

Has had the bike at a local Honda shop, but they could not fix it for a reasonable price.

I assume this is the infamous harness issue or possibly R/R or stator....or all three....hope not.

I have found the VFRWellness harness; it is correct that this is added without removing any of the factory harness?

What else do I not know that I should know. (I have a '97)

Thanks

Last edited: Mar 16, 2022
  2. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

New Zealand
    Map
    I think it is unlikely that a stator or RR is the fault; you can happily ride until your battery is too flat with no charging system at all. A sudden shut down may be the tip-over switch being loose, or some other fault like the sidestand switch, which will disrupt the ignition when running. Or even a loose connector.

3. LannyL81

LannyL81 New Member

United States
    Map
    After I posted this, I found the seller had posted the problem/for sale here a few weeks ago.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2022
  4. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    which was what ?

5. LannyL81

LannyL81 New Member

United States
    Map
    Trying to post the link to the posting in the Classified section...but seems all I can do is show the title.
    Seller (Christine) does not give much in the way of details as to what happens, what she has had done, etc in the classified posting...but I found further info by searching for her name.

Bike for Sale - VFR 800 2003 interceptor abs for sale in Tucson | VFRworld

6. Grum

Grum New Member

Australia
    Hi Lanny.
    A reasonably common engine killer on a 6gen (along with a few other ones) is the loss of main 12v power to the ECM, this will be indicated by the Fi Light being fully On (it can also mean an active fault has been detected). If you do have this situation when the engine dies, then diagnosing where the power loss is is generally a simple process! Just need to follow ECM power rail with a meter and wiring diagram starting at Main Fuse B and then working your way up the line to the ECM, measuring the 12v at various intervals.
    So important to take note of the Fi Light, as well as wether the engine and Tacho instantly die Or it coughs and splutters, tacho bounces around then finally dies. This can indicate the difference between electrical issues or fuel starvation.
    - A Bank Angle Sensor issue will also bring On the Fi light and if by switching the Ignition to Off then back to On and all is back to normal, this could indicate an intermittent BAS, the BAS can be easily bypassed for test purposes/fault isolation. An intermittent Kill Switch has the same effect, however has no reset function like the BAS and while faulty = no starter cranking.
    - An intermittent SideStand switch will shutdown the engine (when in Gear) with no fault indications, Fi light will remain Off, and while faulty, in gear clutch pulled in starts are not possible.
    - Loss of or bad Grounds to any of the above will cause similar issues.

Good luck with the bike.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2022
  7. LannyL81

LannyL81 New Member

United States
    Map
    ChristineD wrote that the Fi and ABS indicators are both lite, along with a noise in the front which could be calipers...?? I just need to contact her and get more information. I do enjoy working/fixing vehicles so this one would give me that.

Thanks for the replies.

8. LannyL81

LannyL81 New Member

United States
    Map
    In researching the ABS on a 2003, found a possible problem is a cracked ABS ring. Went to partzilla and found both front and rear rings in the diagrams, but neither is listed..?? Is it correct to assume these rings are NA new, only used??

9. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    Goto a 2008 bike or later and look up the part. You can get it there.
    An annoying thing Honda does is list parts NA on early models even when on later models still use the same part and is available. -----Very common...

ceptorman likes this.
  10. Grum

Grum New Member

Australia
    Hi Lanny.
    A faulty Pulsar Ring be it front or rear will induce an ABS fault code of 2 or 3 and would not cause the engine to cut out. A visual check of the pulsar ring should easily identify any damage to it.
    However, common to both ECM and the ABS is the power source! Main Fuse B 30amp, or possible Ground issues.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2022
  11. LannyL81

LannyL81 New Member

United States
    Map
    Yep, I know that an ABS fault will not cause the engine to shut off. I was just reading all I could find on the ABS.
    Also agree that the two faults could be related. Have no idea at this time. I would assume that the shop she took it too would have checked the wiring at the Main Fuse B when a new fuse was installed.....but never know. I have had this same shop balance the rear wheel for me once, then got my own adapter and found the balance was off by quite a bit.
    Perhaps I will get to talk to ChristineD today.

12. Grum

Grum New Member

Australia
    Think it's impossible to know or rely on what any shop may or may not have done on the bike!!
    You can only assess the issue yourself and begin the fault finding process. Hopefully stuff already mentioned might help you a lot. Wiring diagram and Service Manual are essential tools! Having or not having an ECM Active Fault Code when the engine dies tells you a lot about the fault!
    Good Luck.

13. Grum

Grum New Member

Australia
    Hi Lanny.
    The noise at the front might be the Headlight Relay buzzing and the common cause of that is a main Blue Connector located behind your left fairing.
    This is the major connector for all the front electrical stuff behind the instrument panel. There is a Green Ground wire that goes through this Blue connector which suffers badly from hi resistance connection as it is carrying a lot of load.
    This ground wire also feeds the Bank Angle Sensor. So if this ground wire is bad it could drop out the BAS killing power to the ECM and bringing on your Fi Light and possibly causing the headlight relay to buzz. Something easy to fix and definitely needs checking.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2022
  14. LannyL81

LannyL81 New Member

United States
    Map
    Very good information!....thank you.
    Keep bouncing back and forth on this bike.....75k miles is quite a lot along with all the unknowns.....

15. LannyL81

LannyL81 New Member

United States
    Map
    Waited too long....bike is gone.

ceptorman likes this.
  16. ceptorman

ceptorman New Member

United States
    Good info....thanks.

17. ceptorman

ceptorman New Member