Pop on decel

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by ilovheros, Feb 16, 2011.

1. ilovheros

ilovheros New Member

Map
    I was able to go for a ride today (65*) and try out my new FMF exhaust and TwoBrothers PC3 map. These pipes are LOUDDDD!. Made my ears ring even with plugs in. The bike ran well but it had terrible poping on off throttle decel in all gears. Should I down load another map or block the pair valve?? The bike sounds cool, deep v8 growl but I am not sure I like all this noise?? Love the look and weight loss though. Maybe when I get it dynoed it will be better but right now I wish I did'nt spend the money. My ears are still ringing and I did install the baffels but maybe I put them in backwards or something.:confused::mad::crazy:

2. DriverDave

DriverDave New Member

United States
    Map
    The quietest position is with the cones pointing toward the engine. I find that there are times when it seems a bit loud, but there are also times...ie, showing off...when it doesn't sound quite loud enough. And FYI, I haven't found a good map yet, myself. I put it on the zero map for now. Definitely helps with the popping decel. And it's a bit quieter, but I'm sure I lose some power compared to a tuned, custom map. After trying all the DynoJet maps, as well as one I tinkered with, I'm planning on leaving mine on the zero map until I get it dynoed (hopefully before May!).

BTW, did you set your throttle position? Mine was off when I first tested it...only went up to 90% at full throttle.

I hope it's not entirely my fault if you now have an exhaust you're not happy with. I tried to be as accurate as I could about how they sound, but in the end, I guess it's all relative to ones opinion.

Good luck,
    Dave

3. ZenMoto

ZenMoto New Member

United States
    Map
    The popping can be indicative of a lean condition with the fuel map, but can also be nothing more than a by-product of the more open exhaust. The best bet would be a dyno-tune if you have one around & can afford it. Barring that, ask yourself how does it feel? Are there any "dead" spots on acceleration; any time of surging you can feel by the seat of your pants? Does the bike run overly hot now?

If it feels like it's running well, and it's just the popping that's getting to you, I'd say put some miles on it as is, and pull the plugs to check their color. Overly lean (or rich) will show on the plugs and give you an idea if you are tuned relatively well.

I won't get into the details of why a bike might pop with the proper fuel map, but it happens, and it's not harmful to the bike (unless you're talking about excessive, flamethrower style, popping). :)

Here's a good article on spark plugs (for cars, but a plug is a plug), if this helps you evaluate your popping issue:

Spark Plugs Replace

4. ilovheros

ilovheros New Member

Map
    Dave, I wanted these pipes all along, you just helped me do it. When you say you installed the cones towards the motor , did you put the long part towards the motor or the long part towards into the muffler? How do you check the throttle position? Thanks!

5. ilovheros

ilovheros New Member

Map
    Last nite (after some research) I plugged the pair valve hose and down-loaded the staintune map. Went for a ride today and no kidding the bike ran perfect!!! NO DECEL POPS AT ALL. NONE! Smooth, good power and low end tork. Vtec transition perfect. I feel like a goober. I don't think its too loud now either.Its fine. Ist to 2nd gear pulled up much harder. Its smooth enough I am not sure I need the dyno now....WTH!....Dave,Not sure its the map or the Pair plug but I am happy now. I think ill keep it.

6. DriverDave

DriverDave New Member

United States
    Map
    Looks like the pair valve is this weekend's project for me! That's great...I'm very happy for you...and a bit jealous at the moment! As far as the cone goes, if you think of it like a traffic cone (very similar in shape), the top would be the small end and the bottom would be the big end with the flat part that sits on the ground. The quietest position is with the top end pointing away from the muffler. Which makes sense, cause the exhaust is hitting that small hole and some of it doesn't make it through. The "medium" position has the cone in the muffler with the exhaust being squeezed down through the cone from the big end to the small end, thus not quite as restrictive. And of course "no cone" is the loudest with no restriction at all.

Throttle position--Open power commander software, connect to bike, turn on bike, under "power commander tools" drop-down menu, hit "set throttle position". Now, with the throttle all the way closed, hit the little left arrow (<) to set it to that number. Now, open the throttle all the way and hit the right arrow (>). Now when you run the throttle, the green numbers on the right will go from 0 to 100. All set.

Sorry if my instructions are a bit wordy and detailed, I'm just that way.

7. DriverDave

DriverDave New Member

United States
    Map
    Heros,
    Could you fill me in on exactly what you did to block the pair valve? Basically, just which end(s) of which hose(s) you blocked. I just plugged the airbox end of the short hose, and switched to the staintune map. Gonna take it out and see if I have your good luck.

8. ilovheros

ilovheros New Member

Map
    Dave, thanks for the info on the throttle set up.I don't have a laptop. Can I do this off bike? When I download a map I need to remove the pc3 and use a 9volt. Re- Pair valve; Just find the short hose on the left side of the airbox. I just lifted the tank and pulled the hose on the air box side and shoved a large round headed bolt into the hose and reinstalled...done. The bike runs great.

9. DriverDave

DriverDave New Member

United States
    Map
    Throttle has to be done on bike, cause you're actually rotating your throttle and telling the pcIII when it's closed and wide open (it's reading the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor)). Maybe you could find a really, really, really long usb cable ;} RE- Pair valve...that's what I thought, so that's exactly what I did...and DAMMIT, it actually made the surging worse! (I tried all 4 maps, and I'm back to the zero map, cause that one has the least surging). And with the zero map, it actually got a little better when I opened the pair valve back up. BTW, DynoJet O2 eliminators are in place (installed correctly). If I'm in 3rd going around 35mph, trying to maintain that tiny bit of throttle opening, around 3500rpm, it just bucks and surges like mad (doesn't really do it once I get above 4K). Higher speeds in higher gears at similar rpms, it's nice and smooth.

Anyway, It's pretty rideable right now (I'm more annoyed that I went through all that trouble and everything ended up right back where it was). Still got a pretty good 80 miles in around town, today :cool:. I just need to get it to the dyno and quit whining.

10. ilovheros

ilovheros New Member

Map
    :crazy:Dave, I don't understand why this would be so different but I see you are a mile high, maybe the air is too thin? I will look for a long-long-long usb cable or maybe i can get the bike thru my front door and into my study! Sorry but I dont think you have enought air where you live.:crazy:

11. DriverDave

DriverDave New Member

United States
    Map
    No offense, but I've been to Cincinnati....I'll stick with my thin air in beautiful, mountainous Colorado ;) And yes, I'm thinking that's playing a role in none of the maps helping at all. That's why I'm just gonna leave it alone and ride it as it is til I get it to the dyno. It's still a blast to ride. If I ride more aggressively, I'm always speeding up or slowing down, so there's no surging, anyway :biggrin:.

12. stoshmonster

stoshmonster New Member

Dunno if this info will be helpful to you or DriverDave,but I lifted this info right off the Frequently Asked Questions page of the Two Brothers Racing website Heros.
    The "Juice Box" that's mentioned is Two Bros own brand of fuel controller,it's sort of a more advanced Power Commander.
    Couldn't hurt to check your exhaust for any leaks.

13. tinkerinWstuff

tinkerinWstuff Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map
    If you have O2 eliminators installed, then the PAIR valve can't have any affect on performance.

Popping, sure. Performance, no.

14. vfrcapn

vfrcapn Member

United States
    Map
    +1

Fixing most of the leaks on my Tbros system almost eliminated my popping on decel. (PAIR is already disabled)

15. ilovheros

ilovheros New Member

Map
    My brother has been in Colorado and says it is wounderful.....Did you use a high temp sealent when you installed your pipes?

16. DriverDave

DriverDave New Member

United States
    Map
    Yes on the high temp sealant.

17. VFRIRL

VFRIRL New Member

Ireland
    Map
    My 5th gen is popping on deceleration, bike is running perfect not sure why this is happening, it has an aftermarket scorpion exhaust. everything else is stock far as I know.

18. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member