Polishing Wheels

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by vfrrider, Jun 13, 2003.

1. vfrrider

vfrrider New Member

I have been told that under the paint the wheels are already fairly well polished. Is this true? :eek: If so is the process as simple as stripping the paint with a liquid stripper, then buffing the wheel. Or is it still as tedious as standard polishing i.e. all the sanding. Thanks in advance. :'(

2. vfrracer

vfrracer New Member

Hi,
    From what I hear....from guys that do it...it 's something that just takes time.
    Lots of time...but it is checaper then chrome bidding on a chrome one as we speak. its up to $200.00 ;D
    If you do try let me know how it came out dont really have the bucks to buy the chrome wheel.
    Ride safe.
    Vfr Steve

3. spencerl

spencerl New Member

4. vfracer

vfracer New Member

Hi,
    Thanks for the Web site ...must be me but where does he talk about polishing wheels?
    Steve

5. Tourmeister

Tourmeister New Member

Howdy,

Hehe, you were pointed to the wrong website. You need to visit my personal site, Piston Powered Passion.
    The process is not as bad as some would make it seem. You could easily do both rims in one weekend. I keep them clean just using soap and water followed up with Honda Pro Cleaner/Polish (magic in a can). I would like to clear coat them but I'm just too lazy.

Chroming looks good, but it is relatively fragile. When you change tires, it is real easy to mess up the chrome. Most tire changing places or dealerships will not guarantee scratch free changes on chrome rims.

Adios,

6. vfracer

vfracer New Member

Cool ;D ...i will check it out.
    Do you have to take the tires off the rim?
    Vfr Steve

7. Tourmeister

Tourmeister New Member

Some guys have done this without removing the tires. However, I would remove them. If you leave them on, it is really hard to get the paint off the edge of the rim by the tire. Also, the stripper will cause the surface of the tire sidewall to bubble slightly. It might not matter, but I prefer not to risk it. Also, the tires are just plain heavy. When you are working on the rims, you will be flipping them over, moving them around, etc,.. and after a while the weight of the tire will get real old! Of course, I had to change my tires at the time anyway so it was no extra work for me. I do my own tires.

Adios,

8. vfracer

vfracer New Member

Just was reading...THANKS.....I wish I had that color blue..man that looks good!
    :eek:
    To bad I just put new 208's on...man they are great tire's...much better then 206's.
    My guess is I will wait till the end of the season.
    The one I was bidding on e-bay went for $300.00
    Vfr Steve

9. Guest

Guest Guest

You can polish your wheels no problem. Use the stripper you can get at autozone. It is aircraft stripper,low odor. I cant remember the exact name it has a airplane on the front. It took about three applications on each wheel. Use blue magic metal polish to shine them up. Also at autozone. They look awesome!

10. vfracer

vfracer New Member

Ok ...I finally did it and polished the wheels....thanks for all the detailed information from your web site I don't think I every would have done it without your step by step instruction.
    Till the last second I was not sure if this was a good idea. I could have not been more pleased with the results.
    The local bike shop wanted $200.00 a wheel.
    My cost $20.00 each wheel to be removed and remounted and balanced.
    Thanks to circle Cycle in Rigefield,NJ Best Bike shop in Jersey.
    With Cleaner steel wool etc......I was out about $60.00 and just my time.
    If you have any second thoughts ....don't...you will be very happy when they are done.

Ride fast Ride safe. Jersey Steve

11. Tourmeister

Tourmeister New Member

Got Pics?

Adios,