Please Help... Starter need to coll down before it can be restarted...

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by Nony Pestejo, Jun 3, 2007.

1. Nony Pestejo

Nony Pestejo New Member

Map
    Hi! My bike VF750F can't be started after a few minutes of riding. Need to wait for a few minutes to cool down before it can be restarted again. FYI. The wires of the starter once burned so I had it rewinded. Not sure if the rewind was the cause of this problem. Others said, there was probably a damaged diod in the CDI that need to be fixed not on the starter. Your comments and suggestions is very much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Nony

2. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti Member

United States
    Map
    Nony:

sounds like the regulator/ rectifier is toast. Vman had a similar issue.

BZ

3. eddievalleytrailer

eddievalleytrailer Member

United States
    Map
    I had to put brushes in my 1983 VF750F starter. Have a machine shop or a electric motor shop put the armature in a lathe and LIGHTLY turn the area where the brushes contact, Just enough to straighten it up. Then install the brush kit. It will be 2 part #'s. One is the brushes and they call the other one the holder even though the other 2 brushes are attatched to it. Put it back together and you are on your way.

4. Nony Pestejo

Nony Pestejo New Member

Map
    Ok thank you man for your comments. Hi! BZ, if the rectifier is too hot because it is covered by the side cover, would it be OK to mount an air passage to the rectifier to cool it down while running? do you think this will solve it? thanks.

Hi! Eddie, Thanks for the comments. you have the same suggestion with Steve in a separate email. To share it, here is his comments:
    Sounds likely this could be in your starter or starter relay. This part would naturally heat up to a very high temperature with the engine. The handlebar switch is easily bypassed screwdriver between large cable posts on solonoid - Or you can bypass the handlebar switch with a jumper wire from the batt. to the solonoid terminal coming from the handlebar switch. The screwdriver between posts method bypasses both the handlebar switch and the solonoid. The jumper wire method just bypasses the
    handlebar switch. Check all connections and GROUNDS for security and continuety.

The windings and or brushes in the starter could be starting to degrade and this is exacerbated by the 200 degree heat from the engine. What would happen if the windings or brushes are like this - with the heat generated while riding these expand inside the starter housing. It would make it very hard to spin the motor fast enuff to fire it up - after a time period - 10 mins to 30 mins it would cool down enough for the starter to spin fast enough to fire up the bike - I think your mechanic is wrong in this instance - he either did a bad winding or the brushes are getting stuffed, or both.
    The only other possibility I could think of is when the engine sits after running, gas is bypassing the float/s needle/s on the carb/s and getting into the cylinder/s making the engine compression go through the roof. A float bowl overflow drain line may be clogged. A way to eliminate this possibility is to immediately try to fire up the bike right after it is shut down. If it fires right up or kicks over smartly then you know it is not electrical in nature. In your case it is electrical -

5. Nony Pestejo

Nony Pestejo New Member

Map
    Hi! Vman, would it be OK to know how you solve the same problem? Thanks in advance.

6. Outlawz24

Outlawz24 New Member

Canada
    Map
    Im gonna be following this thread...i have the same issue with my bike but i know for a fact its probably due to the starter being heat soaked.