Performance at Slightly Higher Attitudes

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by Old_Codger, Jun 17, 2003.

1. Old_Codger

Old_Codger New Member

I've got a little over 1200 miles on my 2003. Until this last weekend all of the miles were put on between sea level and 500 feet. This past weekend I went to Central Oregon where much of the riding was between 3000 and 5000 feet. Several times when I pulled the clutch lever in to shift either up or down the motor would feel like it had stalled. When I released the clutch lever the motor was unresponsive until the rear wheel got things turning again. I turned the idle up to 1400 rpm but still had trouble until I dropped back down into the valley. Shouldn't the computer adjust the fuel mixture at altitude?

2. tbtapper

tbtapper New Member

Hey, not sure what an "oldcodger" is but you're probably not older than me! Any how, there is definitely a problem. I also have an 03 with about the same miles as yours.
    I'm in the western Carolinas and constantly ride from sea level to over 5,000 feet and have never had any problem what so ever.
    There may be a altitude compensator or similar device on the FI that is bad. Shure should be a warranty item.
    This is the situation where the FI should be distinct advantage over carbs.

Have the dealer check it out.

tbtapper