Painting my VFR

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by Alaskan, Dec 31, 2014.

1. Alaskan

Alaskan Member

United States
    Map
    I bought my 2004 after it had been laid down in a relatively slow-speed crash on the right side. I have been living with a slightly tweaked cowl stay and mismatched paint on the cowl and right-side lower. I wasn't sure I even wanted to keep the VFR when I bought it (I had been looking for a 5th Gen), but now it is my favorite motorcycle.

All this is preliminary to the question - should I repaint the VFR in the original Italian Red Honda paint, or might I change the red to, say, Ferrari Rosso Corsa metallic? I am leaning to the latter, but WWYD?

Curious about your responses.

2. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
    I had a similar low side, but on the left. If you are even thinking of a different color, do it. I wanted to paint my bike the red that is on the 2007 but the guy doing the insurance thing was a dork.

3. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    I am not in love with the standard Honda Red. Any type of pearl,metalic or metal flake paint would make it pop. You gosta post pics of changes though Alaskan. If you go a darker shade, close to the burgandy shade, get your wheels powder coated or gold anodized.

4. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States

5. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    what I know can fit in a thimble, but I know "Glasurit" is the shizzle. Think they paint "Porschees" with that.

6. GreyVF750F

GreyVF750F Member

United States
    Map
    You should go with what ever color you want and think looks good. Hopefully you have good taste............

7. Badbilly

United States
    Better a thimble than some dudes who get all they know from a shot glass.. Whoopie Nude Year!

Some examples of Racing Red on an experimental Ferrari racecar. Some of the shots are sort of faded or the film was old or the light was not matched to the film stock. Others are model cars. The B&W shots may be showing the red cars since red is a photographic subtractive.

I think the body and chassis was by Kurtis. Kurtis even made a few street cars for guys back then who had mucho pesos.

8. Badbilly

United States
    Did I forget the link? LOL

https://www.google.com/search?q=195...S27oIw&ved=0CCYQsAQ&biw=1093&bih=471&dpr=1.25

9. zoom-zoom

zoom-zoom Member

Canada
    Map
    I can't say what the Ferrari Red would look like on the bike but I can show you a photo of the tri-coat pearl red that I chose when I repainted my 97 VFR a number of years ago. After the kick stand sank into the ground on a hot day and the bike fell over I had replaced the mid cowl and upper cowl on the left side and both panels were a slightly different red than the panels already on the bike. Drove me crazy and I finally decided to change the color. Though it is really hard to see in the photos, the gold and silver flake in the paint was incredible to see in the sunlight and the many compound curves on the bike really accentuated the color. It's not the Ferrari Red you mentioned but just one idea. Not suggesting a color choice, don't get me wrong, just an example of the difference a color can make. Color choices are boundless, but if you decide to change the color you could try a local body shop and ask to see a few color sample cards if they have any. The body shop I used had some spray out card samples for more colors than I would ever care to count (cards were about 2x3" in size) and the painter suggested I take a few and hold it up against the bike in various lighting conditions to see which one I liked the best.

This is a photo of the bike in the stock Honda red

[​IMG]

These two photos are of the bike in Velocity Red Mica (Mazda paint code 27A). This is a color used by Mazda on the 2004 model Mazda RX-8.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Attached Files:

10. Alaskan

Alaskan Member

United States
    Map
    Very nice, zoom-zoom. Those pics help me make up my mind.

11. Badbilly

United States
    Does this mean you are not going to paint your bike red now? :)

12. Alaskan

Alaskan Member

United States
    Map
    That Mazda red is veddy nice . . .