Paint question

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by Fazeryam, Sep 8, 2018.

1. Fazeryam

Fazeryam New Member

United Kingdom
    Hi
    New UK member here. Bought an 85 VF500 that I'm trying to match the red paint to. The colour code on the fender is R124cu which I think is Candy Alamoan Red. Having trouble finding this so has anyone used a modern standard car or bike paint that is close?
    Thanks

Attached Files:

2. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

France
    Map
    Hi and welcome to the MadHouse.

Make yourself at home - and perhaps scroll down the home page to browse through the relevant sub-forums which may alert you to any known issues which you should look out for with your 33 year old motorbike.

Probably the most significant challenge you face will be finding spare parts, although a few firms like CMSL and David Silver have over the years hoovered up most of the new old stock from dealerships as and when models ceased to be supported by the main Honda dealership system.

As many VFR500 models ended up in the North American market you may have more luck finding that colour paint there. Indeed a quick check on Google with regional settings disabled found on Amazon.com (USA website) there is a company listing exactly that paint here:

https://www.amazon.com/HONDA-R124CU-CANDY-ALAMOANA-RED/dp/B00BTMCE2K

However paint is one item airlines are usually unhappy to ship, so I have no idea if you could manage to get that paint sent over to the UK by sea. I guess you could email/call the seller and see if they will arrange surface transport albeit at extra cost.

However I should point out that by now the paint on your VFR may well have faded significantly from the original specs for R124cu. So any panels painted using paint meeting the original colour code may well stand out like a sore thumb. Hence a better choice may be to contact one of the many rapid car dent repair firms around the UK. Again Google will help. Whilst a home visit operator may struggle to help, some of the larger chains also have fixed locations equipped with the latest spray booths and digital colour paint matching systems which should allow them to create a paint which should blend in well with the actual colour of your bike now.

Have fun.

SkiMad

3. Diving Pete

Diving Pete Member

United States
    Map