Ouch *&%$##

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by realbtl, Jul 9, 2012.

1. realbtl

realbtl New Member

Wile I was on my overnight Idaho scooter trip my 50 yo stepson was doing some yardwork for me. He clipped the VFR with the lawn tractor knocking it into the Helix. The Helix got the worst of it but there are some scratches on the VFR. That doesn't bother me that much but a small piece of the fairing broke off, the piece that goes up from the mirror mount along the windscreen. Bike Bandit's schematic shows the fairing as 1 full piece with a cost of $575. It looks like there are several smaller sections that could be replaced. Is this true? I'll have a closer look tomorrow.

I know he feels absolutely terrible about this and he luckily has contractor's insurance to cover it. Oh well, I suppose I should be thankful that 1) it wasn't worse and 2) that I didn't have to be the one to put the first ding in it.

2. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    That is suck, but at least everyone safe no one hurt......:confused:
    1) You not riding the bike
    2) You did not kill your step son................lol

The bike can be fix, not sure how bad it is so post some picture of the damaged. You might be able to use ABS weld to patch it up and re paint the fairing.

3. realbtl

realbtl New Member

Will get a pic up in the morning.

4. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

EPIC WIN - Long:"that is suck".

5. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Many main clause words of preference are governed by the subordinate clause form of the subjunctive expressing the counter factual hypothesis.

Yep, that suck.

6. TOE CUTTER

TOE CUTTER Mullet Man

United States
    Map
    Not sure what part you need with oot a pic but Ron Aryes has treated me better on pricing.

7. realbtl

realbtl New Member

OK, here is a pic of the damage and the fairing piece. I also have the inside plastic piece which seems undamaged. I'll probably try and repair this rather than replace the whole fairing since I'm sure at some point I'll do something incredibly stupid and damage it myself. Save my money for a major f-up. What is a good filler for small gaps in my repair? Thanks.
    DSCN0357.jpg
    DSCN0358.jpg
    I could file a claim on my stepson's contractor's insurance but it seems as if the insurance companies just raise their premiums to repay themselves in 2 years and then keep the higher rates to teach you a lesson. /end mini-rant

8. TOE CUTTER

TOE CUTTER Mullet Man

United States
    Map
    That sucks oot loud.

9. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    Super glue or plastic weld would be your friend.

10. TOE CUTTER

TOE CUTTER Mullet Man

United States
    Map
  11. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    your best bet is replacing it judging from where that crack is. I have repaired one with similar break but I had a spare fairing to cut the 'ear' from and basically I just made a straight cut where the broken one was, then a straigt cut on the replacement, then used 'plastifix' to join them together. Then I had the whole thing repainted. By the time you take in my time, the cost of plastifix and paint, you may as well just get the replacment part.

12. tyarosevich

tyarosevich New Member

United States
    Map
    On the plus side, you can now use this as bargaining power with your stepson for...well, pretty much forever. "Now sport, usually when Stepsons damage their Stepdad's motorcycle, they die a horrible death. Remember that time I didn't kill you?" You then ask for whatever you want. Everyone wins!

13. TOE CUTTER

TOE CUTTER Mullet Man

United States
    Map
    My boot would have had to be surgically removed from his ass crack.

14. tinkerinWstuff

tinkerinWstuff Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map
    yes, fixable with plastic welding, grind, fiberglass, sand, prime, sand, paint.

Unless you're on a tight budget like me, open the checkbook and buy the part.

Better check that the fairing stay isn't tweaked too. A fall hard enough to break the plastic likely bent the stay as well.

15. Badbilly

United States
    Flour and water will hold it for awhile but for long time it suck.

A temp fix with superglue gel will hold for awhile. All mating surfaces should be addressed including the bead edge of the windscreen. The inner surface of the ABS fairing portion should have the paint scraped off for a better bond. Superglue is great stuff. It can be catalyzed with sodium bicarbonate (plain baking soda) Keep in mind that superglue is not greatly resistant to water.

Like the guys say, probably better to replace the piece at some point. Lots of vibration and stress from the windscreen. I'd probably replace the stepson too. ;)

16. DaHose

DaHose New Member

United States
    Map
    You could try using ABS glue, but plastic welding is the right choice. I third the motion of just buying the part. It will come painted, right? That alone is worth it.

You might consider just replacing all your plastics with a full fairing kit from ebay. You could choose from a bunch of different color options and the whole kit is $500 shipped. That would let you take off and store your very expensive OEM pieces. If one breaks in the future, then you don't feel so bad about it. If you sell the bike in the future, perfect factory plastics with like new paint are a pretty big selling point. You could swap all the plastics and then take your time on a repair of the existing fairing. Hell, you could just fix and not paint your broken fairing and the "cheapo" e-bay kit is still the lowest cost insurance for your factory plastics.

Jose

17. Badbilly

United States
    There are two-component adhesives made especially for ABS. See your NAPA parts dealer. 6-7 bucks for shitload. ABS cement is pipe dope and the dry and cure time are on the order of forever. The proprietary adhesive sets in about five minutes. Lots of "magic" fixes on the market too and just as many claims that the stuff is the greatest thing since canned chitlins.

Those Chinese fairing kit imports have not received the most glowing reviews here and elsewhere. I hear there are some great ones but they are in several forms of Chinese by some Bruce Lee lookalike dude.

18. Pliskin

Pliskin New Member

United States
    Map
    I know Jose has good intentions, but I have yet to read anything good about the knock off e-bay kits. Are they workable? Sure. But why bother with that frustration and hassle.

I know your bike is new to you. Make yourself happy and get her fixed the right way so you don't sit around thinking about it.

19. realbtl

realbtl New Member

I'm going to do a fast and dirty fix myself and see how I like it. If not I'll go the replacement route and yes it comes painted Italian Red which I'm assuming is the stock Honda red. I'll check it out for sure. As I mentioned he has contractor's insurance and he was working for me at the time.

My stepson and I have a very good relationship. I'm like a dad to him as his died several years ago. I know he feels rotten and is pushing me to get the replacement fairing. If you never screw up you must be sitting very still in a dark room and never moving. Shit happens.

20. fieldsanitation

fieldsanitation New Member

off the Dulles Toll Road, with the Trolls in NoVA
    Map