Orange County Chopper Ride - Oct 11th

Discussion in 'USA - Northeast' started by javsst, Aug 29, 2008.

1. javsst

javsst New Member

Orange County Chopper Ride - Oct 18th (New Date!)

UPDATE:

I'm pushing the date back to October 18th. Too many things going on at once! :)
    Also, the ride isn't just to go to OCC. It's just a cool destination. Figure the ride
    to Newburgh should be nice, going past Bear Mountain and West Point, and the roads
    in and around Newburgh should be interesting.

Guys - I'm getting some riders together to ride up to Orange County Chopper in Newburgh, NY on October 11th. Check out the new store/headquarters and maybe do some riding in the area.

We'll be meeting at the last rest stop on the Garden State Parkway (Montvale I believe) and leaving around 10am. Head east on Rt 287/78,
    then before the Tappen Zee, north to pick up Route 9 up to Newburgh.

If you're interested, let me know and I can forward you the directions. Also, I'm putting together a .gpx file, so if you'd like that, let me know as well.

Thanks!

Steve

Last edited: Sep 9, 2008
  2. PhatPat33

PhatPat33 New Member

I've been to OCC before and there is plenty of eye candy there for chopper lovers.

I'll be out of town that weekend for a wedding, but it's good to see you organizing a ride. Nice job!

3. Viffer2003

Viffer2003 New Member

Howdy. Would it be ok if my cousin and I hook up with you guys at OCC on 10/18? He and I have been talking about taking a spin down new building as well. It would be cool to meet up with some other VFR riders. He's on a Vulcan, no VFR...despite my best efforts lol. We're in Western MA / CT so we'd be coming in from the other side, so we'd meet you at OCC if that works for you guys. Check out OCC and scout the roads around there. Seems to be some good riding around there.

Let me know if that works for your plans, thanks!

Chris

4. javsst

javsst New Member

Sure, sounds like a plan. Anyone is welcome! Though I'm not sure how many other VFR's are coming along. I've mentioned the ride to couple of South Jersey riders as well, at least one of them has a VFR.
    It'll probably be a mixed group of bikes.

5. Viffer2003

Viffer2003 New Member

cool, sounds like a plan. Honestly, I could care less what anyone else rides too. Didn't want it to be just a VFR thing and end up scamming a non-vfr in lol.

I don't know those roads too well south / west of that area, sounds like you should be to OCC around noon-ish? We're good anytime so it doesn't really matter, we'll try to get there at the same time. I used to ride quads down in Maybrook which is right around the corner and it would take us 2 hours, no traffic. Figure we'll leave around 10 and be there around 12 if that works from your end. If anything changes, I'll let ya know. I'll probably touch base and shoot you a PM a day or 2 before to make sure it's all still good.

Thanks! Chris

6. javsst

javsst New Member

Sounds good. Google maps routes you up the Thruway and that's about 50 minutes. The Route 9W route that I'm planning is something like 1.5 hours, so figuring leaving a little late, we should be there around noon or so.

7. javsst

javsst New Member

Guys - I give up for this year. Not feeling all that great and the temps here in central NJ are supposed to be around 38 degrees. Normally not a problem, but fighting a cold or whatever, probably not a good idea....

Anyway, I'm rescheduling to the Spring.

Thanks!

Steve

8. Viffer2003

Viffer2003 New Member

Good idea, getting a little nippy out. I just rode into work this am - 23 degrees...yikes. Time to put the bike away soon! My cousin and I and a couple buddies took a spin down to OCC on Saturday - really cool place. They have a viewing window where you can look into the shop, Sr was in there working about 15 feet from us. Stood there and watched him for a good half hr or so. I guess I have no life if I can watch some dude weld for that long and actually like it :smile:. Probably had 50 bikes or so in the retail store to check out too. Those bikes are reeeeeally long...

If the spring works out, maybe we'll hook up then, would be fun.

Have a good winter, hope you feeling better soon.

Take care,
    Chris

9. olivino

olivino New Member

Is the new building (or part of it) open to the public? If so whats the address? I have been to the store on Rt 17 Montgomery which is just a store.

10. Viffer2003

Viffer2003 New Member

I think that's the new place, same place we were - on Rt Rt 17. We came off 84W and took exit 7S if I remember right. Follow whatever road that dumps you on for maybe a half mile and then go right on Rt 17 / Crossroads Park. Address was 14 Crossoads Park, which is the same as Rt 17 according to Mapquest - it was up on the left maybe a quarter mile or so. It was all open Saturday. Well, the retail part was open. You can't actually get in the shop, but when you walk in, there is a hallway in the back wall you can go down that's labeled Shop Viewing Area. Head down that hall and you have a really good view of the shop and where they work. I'd like to go mid week sometime when all the guys are around and they are filming and stuff. Sr was standing right there in front if us welding away, no one else was around though. We all were joking about it, they must have to keep the show going for the weekend or something - "oh geez, it is my turn to go weld scrap for the tourists this Saturday??"

11. butzip

butzip New Member

Map
    I'm in for the spring ride to OCC. I'm in Suffield, CT. My buddy is on a 750SS Ducati, he'll def come too.

Viffer2003 - let's hook up and get som more folks from this side of the river to go!!

Don't forget to keep us updated on a new date!!

Brgds, Peter

12. Viffer2003

Viffer2003 New Member

I'm right over the line from you in Agawam. I ride through Suffield every day going to work when it's reasonably nice out. We can definitely get a few people together and take a spin back down. I'm sure my cousin would be in for another trip. I think the OP on this one, JAVSST, is going to look at setting something up in the spring, looks like we have some good interest here and should be able to get a good ride going!

13. butzip

butzip New Member

Map
    No kidding, I think I was behind you one day this summer. I was headed to my sisters house in Agawam. Rt 75 thru Suffield center to 190 to Rt 159 past Six Flags. Of course, I was in the family mini van so it's not like I was gonna wave you down without looking odd :unsure: That must also be you that I've seen cruisin' past my office on a regular basis on Rt 75.

I've also seen a red VFR parked in the library parking lot (Suffield center) 2004I think.

I rode up to Lime Rock for the Vintage festival this year and met an older gent from Springfield with a silver 03? VFR.

I found my 07 rwb on ebay in Utah. A good friend of mine lives near SLC so I had him pick it up and ship it to me earlier this year. It had 801 miles on it, now it's right around 3200. Remus pipes, Motad headers, Power commander, throttle meister, Sargent seat. It also came with the blue saddle bags (sold) original seat (sold). I still have the original zero mile rear section exhaust and solo seat cover signed by Freddie spencer with 'clear bra' on it. Previous owners was the manager of SLC Motorsports Honda Ducati dealer in SLC. I couldn't e happier with it.

We should definitely hook up and ride this spring. Do you ever go to Mark's Cruise night on Monday's? Good selection of bikes and the VFR was a hit, even with the Harley crowd.

Brgds, Peter

Attached Files:

14. Viffer2003

Viffer2003 New Member

That had to be me on 190 / 159, that's my route back from work down in Windsor/Simsbury (depending on the day). I live right down past 6 Flags off River Road. Mine is a 03 red with Remus, PCIII. I've got the side bags and all, never used them though. I have a tank bag I use quite a bit, it's a really handy item.

LOVE the bike. I bought it down in NY this past spring and ran up about 5k on it over the summer. No issues, tons of fun, should have bought it a long time ago lol. Just a great bike, does everything I ask of it and more. It's a Honda, how can you go wrong? Got about about 15k on it now, looking forward to quite a few more.

We should definitely hook up and ride this spring, look forward to it. I've been down to Mark's a few times after work, really good show. Maybe we can meet up down there next season? I need a reason to get my butt out of work and get there on time!

Chris

15. butzip

butzip New Member

Map
    LOL, that's why I sold my bags. I figured I could use $800 rather than them collecting dust.

Funny thing, you should know, one day you rode by my office while I was outside and the sound coming out of your bike solidfied my decision to get a VFR. I always considered it the ideal bike anyway but I had the opportunity to pick up a Ducati 916 at the same time. Momentarily, I was tempted by the 916, I still think it is the sexiest bike ever but in a moment of clarity, I realized it would likely be nothing but problems and tons of very expensive parts. Your exhaust note brought me back to earth to make the 'practical' :rolleyes: decision.

I look at it this way, I've always loved the BMW RS1100 boxer cup and the 916. i.e. single sided swing arm, rwb colors and under seat exhaust. The rwb VFR is like those to bikes mated and created a bike with the best styling and technical ques in one reliable package. Come on, it was a no brainer. Once I saw one in the flesh @ Manchester Honda, it was just a matter of time before I found the right one. Before the anniversary edition came out I was dead set on a red with platinum/gold wheels. Bottomline, the appearance is secondary, the bike is a pleasure to ride no matter what the heck it looks like.

I work right by the airport and still have a hard time getting to Mark's on time, but they are usually there until 8 p.m. I've got an old Porsche that I take there sometimes. It's really hard to choose which to take. I wish all lifes decisions were that hard :smile:

My previous bike was a 91 GSXR 750 see attached. I bought that bike in Windsor, CT in 1996. I took it with me to Alabama when I transferred for work. I put 18k miles on it. I wish I could have that one back!

Keep in touch!

Brgds, Peter

Attached Files:

16. Viffer2003

Viffer2003 New Member

Nice! Glad to hear I helped out lol, in some way anyway. I like the Ducatis a lot. I really liked the 848 and of course the 1098 but when I look at the reality of the way I ride and what I use the bike for, VFR was the only choice. Looks, sound, performance, reliability, reasonable cost, you just can't go wrong. My back and neck would never forgive me for buying the Ducati. Glad you seem to be enjoying yours as much as I am!

Definitely catch up in the spring, who knows, maybe we'll get a freak 50* Saturday or something! If so and timing works out I'll look ya up. Mark's for sure this summer too!

Take care
    Chris

17. javsst

javsst New Member

Guys - Will let you all know once I plan a trip into that area of NY.

Thanks!

Steve