opinions on Givi luggage

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by troy, Jun 11, 2007.

1. troy

troy New Member

Map
    considering buying Givi hard bags for an '05 and was looking for input, never had hard bags, Honda bags $1000, Givi bags $500 hmmmmm...will Givi fit as nicely, and look as good as oem?

2. paperino

paperino New Member

Map
    Hi, I'm new here but I think I can answer your question.
    Let's say I've choosen Givi hardbags since are pretty cheaper than OEM, but this is not the only reason.
    The Givi bags fit nice but you cannot compare them with Honda bags.
    Honda hardbags fit perfect, Givi fit nice.

Personally I believe that a VFR with harbags mounted on (pretty or bad whatever) looks more like Pan European than a sport tourer bike (that's just my opinion).
    Said so...Givi gave me more rooms (this is an important issue if you are gonna ride long trips with the company of a passenger).
    Important: in each lateral bag I can place 2 helmets.

I've ridden thousand of kilometers with Givi hardbags... Greece - Italy many times (I'm Italian but I live in Greece) and never a problem.

Regard the installation of the rack mount....at the beginning was taking me over than 30 minutes mounting, 10 minutes unmounting. After few trips just 10-15 minutes for the rack mounting and 5 to unmount it (yes, I don't like to watch it and after every trip I unistall it immediately).
    The Honda rack mount instead follows the profile of the stock exhaust perfectly....until you change to an aftermarket exhaust, of course.

I hope this can help you.

I've uploaded some pics in my gallery to give you a better idea.
    http://vfrworld.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/5256/cat/500/ppuser/5900
    http://vfrworld.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/5255/cat/500/ppuser/5900
    http://vfrworld.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/5254/cat/500/ppuser/5900
    http://vfrworld.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/5253/cat/500/ppuser/5900

Ciao all of you!!!

3. barry1954

barry1954 New Member

Hi Troy

Don`t know if this will help or not.

Just purchased vfr800fi dealer is fitting Givi rack and top box looks neat perhaps not as good looking as Honda Luggage but hell I dont have a money tree at the bottom of the garden. It was cheaper to fit Givi but quality is sound and other bikers I know have fitted Givi and have no complaints

Cheers

Barry

4. troy

troy New Member

Map
    thanks for the info, im currently seeking soft luggage but have trouble with the chaffing they cause.

5. scramblerracer

scramblerracer New Member

Map
    Quality should be the same as Givi makes the Honda bags. Don't they. I have been looking at the Givi E41 for my 03 but they are so huge I don't think I need that big.

6. Interceptor1

Interceptor1 New Member

I bought the new Givi V35 last month and love it, for $800 ( $750 US), not bad.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. grinder

grinder New Member

The V35 looks very similar to my Honda bags. I considered them but then found a pair of Honda bags for a great price, a shop was clearing out the last pair of an old bags. I love them, don't think I have taken them off since I first installed them. So much easier to do little chores when you have somewhere to put stuff.

8. elizilla

elizilla New Member

With Givi you get the choice of the V35 bags pictured above, or the older Monokeys such as E41, E360, etc. The V35 has a different mounting plate, because they tuck in more neatly around the tail section. The older Monokey cases have a flat mounting surface that doesn't tuck in like that, but there are an assortment of bags in different sizes and shapes that all snap to the same racks, and an assortment of racks that all fit those bags.

If you don't like the look of the racks when you don't have the bags on, and you choose the older Monokey style (not the V35), there's a sidecase rack made by SW-Motech that is quick-release, so you can take them off without tools and not have to look at them when the bags are off. It's available from twistedthrottle.com.

9. superflex

superflex New Member

10. tmcats

tmcats New Member

Are the givi V35 bags big enough for helmets?
    I've also heard that some bags can go side mount and trunk mount. Has anyone experience with that?

11. S.U.A.R

S.U.A.R New Member

Talked with a guy at my local shop today. Mounted a Givi side bag on his trunk mount. Said he had used it on the side for years with no problem. Also said that after mounting it for a trunk the lock keeps falling out for some reason.

12. pontiac_banshee

pontiac_banshee New Member

United States
    Not sure about side bag fit but GIVI quality is awesome.

13. DAN-SLO

DAN-SLO New Member

If you are still in need for soft bags,here are Givi voyager bags(red vifer),excellent stuff,they cost me around 100€.

Attached Files:

14. John O'Leary

John O'Leary Guest

In case some of you don't know, the honda hard luggage is actually made by Givi, they just rebadged it

[​IMG]

15. truebeliever71

truebeliever71 New Member

Map
    John,

What luggage do you have on your bike? I'm looking for one for my '04 VFR.

16. VFR02rider

VFR02rider New Member

I looked at both before purchasing and i just prefer the Honda bags because its a Honda. I didnt know they were made by same co. The OEM bags are also painted to match. I dont think GIVI is. You can get Honda bags for much cheaper than list. Link below was from another thread.

Some dealers will match online prices.. check Rick Roush http://www.rickroushaccessories.com/...Path/35_63_228

17. RGonVFR

RGonVFR New Member

United States
    Map
    Anyone have a 5th gen with the Givi hardbags? I like the way they look on the 6th gen, but don't have a 6th gen and don't plan on getting one. Just got mine and love it too much to consider another bike right now. But I do need some luggage for a longer roadtrip.

18. olivino

olivino New Member

DAN-SLO

Regarding the Givi Voyagers on your red Viffer, these mount strictly by adjustable velcro elasticated straps? Do they quickly remove from the mount straps or you need to remove the entire saddle bag straps and all each time?

19. DAN-SLO

DAN-SLO New Member

There are 3 adjustable velcro straps on the top.Velcro is on all the lenght of the strap.First and third goes on top of the seat,second under the seat so the bags are firmly atached to the bike.On the bottom are loops for ataching bags to pasanger pegs vith elastic cord.For install and deinstall you need 2 minutes.
    There are 2 volume sizes,first is 2x20 litres,second(zipper) is 2x35 litres so there is enough space.I did 270km/h with no problem,no shiimy at all,wery happy with them:smile:

20. Craig Wagner

Craig Wagner New Member

United States
    Map
    I'd love to get the Honda bags but apparently they are on a nationwide back-order with no tentative shipping date, so I'm thinking about just getting the V35s and having them painted. The best price I found for the OEM bags was $835 (delivered). I can get the Givi for $660 delivered, which leaves $170 left over for painting if I really want to.

Unless anyone has a set of the OEM luggage hiding under their bed that they want to sell?