Oooops - there goes the Ventura rack!!!

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by DadAgain, Sep 21, 2020.

1. DadAgain

DadAgain New Member

Australia
    Sunday morning I took my girlfirned to a motorcycle riding class and dropped her off all excited... She took a few things out of the ventura bag (old Euro rally 44-55lt style) and spun off to return home the 50km or so at a nice leisurely pace with some pumping tunes in my ears... It was a sunny day, traffic was light.... the world was a good place.
    s
    The journey started in the industrial estate behind an airfield, and I enjoyed a little bit of pace as I took on the speedbumps and had a bit of fun.

By the time I'd got home, I had travelled through industrial estates, along freeways, through suburban main roads and on residential back streets.

I parked up, got off the bike and saw to my horror the Ventura bag and rack had completely gone.... all was left was the 2 upright mounts to slot the rack into, and only 1 of the locking bolts...

Fortunately there was nothing terribly valuable in the bag: a trickle charger, my sunglasses and the old vehicle manual with service stamps dating back to 2002.... shame to lose - but nothing that'll kill me.

I retraced my steps in the car, scouring the roadside for debris or a big chunk of bag - but found nothing. I spoke to police and asked if they had picked anything up... nothing...

So I can assume that's the end of that!!!

Fortunately I had a look on gumtree (2nd hand trading site) and found a ventura topbox with all brackets for a very reasonable sum - so it looks like I'll be upgrading from a bag to a topbox! (and look a little less like a deliveroo driver!)

Cautionary tale: make sure your ventura locking nuts are tight!!! Particularly if you're going to have fun over speedhumps!

2. VFRIRL

VFRIRL New Member

Ireland
    Map
    Sorry to hear that, can happen very easy, I rode off this Summer and forgot to zip the tank bag shut, a certain blast of wind and all the contents flew up around me, smashed my phone to bits and bank cards/licence etc were scattered all over the road,
    lesson learned hopefully, could have been worse.

3. DadAgain

DadAgain New Member

Australia
    Went out yesterday and top box fell off. This time I noticed and fortunately it was on a deserted bit of road - so I picked it up and managed with the aid of the limited onboard toolbox to resecure it.

The locknuts were still in position and still pretty tight - but the rack had slipped out.

I checked again about an hour later and once again it was slipping.

I think I need to drill a new hole clean through the pipework on both sides of the frame so I can put a bolt right through it on both sides and get threadlock on the nuts to make a more permanent fix instead of relying on the nut to just squeeze up against the inner pipe - which clearly is not adequate!

4. rhoderage

rhoderage New Member

Canada
    Map
    That sounds like a great solution; don't want this to happen again