Nova Scotia

Discussion in 'USA - Northeast' started by 80sNight, Sep 8, 2011.

1. 80sNight

80sNight New Member

United States
    I'm riding out to Nova Scotia next weekend with the family, myself on the bike, family in a car, meeting for lunch/ dinner/ sleep. Any good suggestions for roads in northern Maine/ Nova Scotia?

Also, anyone know what the police presence in NS is like? The roads look dumfoundingly gorgeous and should be a good, challenging ride, but obviously, I like having my license... Common sense is obvious, but where can the boundaries be pushed?

2. Epicsoldier

Epicsoldier New Member

There are some good roads here, I'll show ya a few good ones worth taking, Cops aren't bad here..basically if you ride like a complete asshat they will pull you over but if you ride within reason they are good, I tend to ride on the highway at about 125kph and on the secondary roads I ride about 110kph, but of course I have sprinted rides here and there on those roads, there are hot spots where they hang out but i wouldn't know where to begin on those.

Basically, ride within reason (30kph over the limit would be pushing it, no one seems to care about 10kph over and bikes almost always are left alone at 20kph over but again, depends on the officer)

Cape Breton Highlands

Depending on how long you are here, go into the cape breton highlands for sure if you are on a bike, it is awesome on a bike (although mornings are cool this time of year and fog can be a real b*tch some days) It takes a good day's ride to go from this route (you'll be stopping alot for pics) to halifax, surprisingly very few cops on this route every time I took it.

Cabot Trail to Trans-Canada Hwy/NS-105 W - Google Maps

Cape Chignecto

Awesome run, the road gets alittle rough between Sand river to Joggins..but the rest is great, fun route to take on a bike and it is longer then it looks on google

NS-104 W to NS-104 W - Google Maps

A couple loops around the Halifax area
    Very fun on a bike, The loop that goes around bayswater is one of my favorites and Peggy's cove is always a good run on the bike (often cops on are the Peggy's cove loop, alot of squids went there over the years and kinda ruined it in that respect)

Herring Cove Rd/NS-349 N to NS-3 Trunk W - Google Maps

The Annapolis valley is nice to ride in, I personally find the more south you go the roads just aren't that interesting on a bike, I live in the Mahone Bay/Bridgewater area (about an hour from Halifax) and this is a fav road in my area

King St/NS-331 W/NS-3 Trunk W to NS-325 S - Google Maps

If your in my area and up for a run let me know, Viffers are always welcome! Overall if you can, do the cape breton run...it's well worth it

3. nismo350zed

nismo350zed New Member

I just rode up there from Bangor to New Glasgow

Couple of observations for you...

Two options for getting through Maine/New Brunswick

#1 Calais/St Stephen
    US side, Airline/Rt 9 is a nice road, scenic, not much traffic, curvy and in good condition.
    Canada Side, some construction in the first bit, but mostly divided all the way, more scenic

#2 Houlton/Woodstock
    Hwy 95 is in good condition but boring
    Canada Side
    Not much construction, good roads.

Enjoyed the hell out of the trip, be careful for police, I think I got lucky!

4. FoothillRyder

FoothillRyder New Member

and just remember...

This trip didn't happen if there are no pics :cool:

5. nismo350zed

nismo350zed New Member

Pics

I'll try to get some pics up tonight, couldn't find the proper cable last night!

6. FoothillRyder

FoothillRyder New Member

Actually my post was intended for 80sNight; but okay. :biggrin:

7. 80sNight

80sNight New Member

United States
    Epic, thanks a bunch! I like those routes a lot. Looks like we're staying mainly in Cape Bretton, So the Cabot Trail is a definite. If I can put a whole day aside, I'm going to get down to Halifax/ surrounding areas. I'll keep you posted, because I'd love to take you up on that offer!

Nismo, I think it's Airline rd for me, realized how far I have to get by the end of the day (St. John, NB), looks like a blast though

Don't you fret foothill, I'm bringing a GoPro and a small point and shoot on the bike, and my DSLR in the car. The pictorial footage will be massive!

8. FoothillRyder

FoothillRyder New Member

Perfect! Looking forward to the pics and vids!

9. karazy

karazy New Member

Canada
    Map
    Just remember that 50 kph (30 mph) over the posted speed limit is considered stunting. That will cost you $2500 and maybe your wheels.

The ride from Antigonish to Cape George Point is well worth a little detour as well. Have fun.

10. nismo350zed

nismo350zed New Member

11. 80sNight

80sNight New Member

United States
    Thanks karazy, very important tip! Good to know

Anyone know what the weather is looking like for next week. Weather.com is saying showers Tuesday through Thursday... hearing anything different on the local channels? I hope it at least doesn't rain the WHOLE time I'm up there

12. karazy

karazy New Member

Canada
    Map
    So far it looks like sunny, but cooling, with a high of about 20 and low of 6 or 7 at night. Of course, with the weather being about as predictable as Charlie Sheen, always have your rain gear.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2011
  13. nismo350zed

nismo350zed New Member

Sunrise Trail

Just as a precautionary note, avoid the sunrise trail between New Glasgow and Antigonish. While it's a beautiful ride, while I was there they were detouring traffic around on 10 miles of dirt roads due to bridge construction.

Enjoy your trip!!!

14. 80sNight

80sNight New Member

United States
    I've returned! Holy crap, what a trip. Two days up, two days back, 4 days in Cape Breton. My photography teacher said NS was like heaven on earth. I thought he was just exaggerating. But... he was dead right. Goddarn, that place was unbelievable. The Cabot Trail... good lord, puts any road I've ever ridden or driven to deep, deep shame. I had such a blast. Also, if anyone needs any work done, or a tire changed, when hitting the Trail, stop by MacKenzie's Motorsports on the trail, just through Middle River. Sweet guy, knows Hondas (worked at a dealership for 22 years), and loves to shoot the sh*t with any rider who has the time. For the negatives... didn't take as many photos as I had I planned (too much riding), speedo went when I got to Aulds Cove, I forgot what it's like to spend 6 hours on a bike on a highway (that was brutal), and I got a speeding ticket in ME thanks to the bum speedo. What and amazing trip; one that I recommend to any East Coast rider Photos up tomorrow

15. nismo350zed

nismo350zed New Member

glad you enjoyed, look forward to seeing the pics!

16. 80sNight

80sNight New Member

United States
    What the... I know I posted photos...