Not yet a VFR owner but want to be

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by 91cb-1, May 15, 2011.

1. 91cb-1

91cb-1 New Member

Ireland
    Hi all I' a very big bike enthusiast and have worked my way up from 100cc 2 stroke to my current Honda Cb-1 400cc i love the bike and all but it's not great for long trips so looking at VFR's here's my question, I'd like to get a 750 because of their classic repputation and gear driven cams, if not a 750 then an 600 Fi. What is the general consensus about which bike is better? and then whic year 750 is the best model in terms of performace and availability of parts? i've always loved the sound and feel of a v twin but can't get enough of the straight 4. Honda have just sorted out al my problems with this bike. thanks for any help, Oisin

2. betarace

betarace New Member

Gen5 would probably be your best bet (pre vtec, post Fuel Injection) - happy hunting and welcome aboard!

3. Pdubz21

Pdubz21 New Member

Map
    I'm a newbie here as well. I just purchased my first VFR last week. I bought a 93 750, I love the way it handles and the overall feel of the bike. Although Have had trouble looking for plastics.

4. 4thGenVFR

4thGenVFR New Member

Map
    RE: VFR or CBR & What Years

Welcome aboard, I used to own a small M/C shop and so I have piloted a LOT of Honda's. Honda is my favorite Japanese brand, mostly because they evolve & refine their bikes over time. I think they are 2nd only to BMW as far as longevity / time between overhaul. There is nothing wrong with the CBR 600, from the 1st gen to the newest. I rode an F3 for a year strait even tho I had a LOT of other bikes to play with, just because it was good at everything, easy to get into trouble and easy to get OUT of trouble, lol. Don't be fooled and think the 600 class is too small to be respected on the twist'es, or a beginner's road-race type sport ride, they are not, properly set up they handle like a Samurai sword. But like all in line 4's they don't have that rumble under the tank feeling, and everyone has an inline 4. Granted most teen's and early twenty guys tend towards the 600 bikes, and if You are a follower and feel like You need to belong to the local sport crew /set they You will want a 600 ( CBR that is ) , but if You ride to Your own drum beat, then trust me the VFR is the ticket to street nirvana. The VFR, now they are in a class all by them self. My 4th Gen has 82+ K miles on it and it still runs like a Swiss watch ( original engine/trani ) , and I know they go WAY past 100K easy. When You hop on a CBR coming from a 400 You will be impressed, when You hop on a VFR you will be in * LOVE. There is a huge difference between one chick who You would like to date and pass on the Your buddy vs the one You would like to *marry, lol. If You want to just ride, ride by yourself, ride long distance, ride in the canyons for a couple hours, ride to the store, with the guys all weekend, take the woman for a ride, I mean just RIDE when ever and were ever, then go VFR. If You want to go sport and do the track, then get a one peace suit , some wire and a CBR. You can grow with a VFR, literally in size , age and experience and STILL want to keep it for LIFE ! You wont feel that way about a CBR, a cbr will be a high school thing and then on to a >>> VFR , lol. So Your gona end up on a VFR anyway's, lol, so mite as well skip paying for a 600 that Your gona have to sell in a year and go right to the 'good stuff' > VFR. As for Gen's, I agree with the other VF'er poster and even tho the twin pipe 800 is zexy, You will want the generations just before it like my gen 4 or a gen 5. You can mod the hell out of a 4 or 5 , I have a Stayintune stainless high side can on my 4th geb and the only thing it sounds close to is a BOSS 302 Ford ,a P51D or a Ducati , well then there is this other gen with a bad azz mod on the Youtube link below, enjoy the sound of gears and twin apposed jugs., I think hearing and seeing is believing YouTube - Honda VFR with Supertrapp Exhaust

5. 91cb-1

91cb-1 New Member

Ireland
    Wow, have you ever petted a full grown tiger, i haven't but i'd say thats what it's pur would sound like. To be honest, i was never really thinking about the cbr 6 for any great amount of time, my cb-1 is so close to the cbr-400 that it's a very high reving very fast accelerating bike, i won't get rid of it because very few people here in Ireland realise the value of the bike and i'd never get what i want for it. plus it's so easy to flick around bends and corners that if i was going to race anything that's what it would be. I am looking at the VFR as my ultimate big boy bike, the one i'm gonna do europe on, sure i'm probably gonna mod it up a fair bit but not for racing. 4th to 5th gen you say, thank you all for you're info and help.