Northern Territory Speed Limit

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by Hopsterman, Nov 2, 2006.

1. Hopsterman

Hopsterman New Member

Australia
    Map
    I hear they are reducing the speed limit up there to 130 km/hr

Doh!!

Thats one place I was planning to go to, but I wont be going there before it takes effect.

Doh.

That means still will have an additional 125km/hr available and perhaps 85km of that will remain unused - perhaps.

2. tones

tones New Member

yes, I read about this somewhere the other day. Was nice knowing that somewhere in the country there were roads with no speed limits. Pity they weren't an hours ride away :)

3. daffy67

daffy67 New Member

Map
    At least it's a bit more than 100kl/m almost everywhere else, there's some distance to be covered between towns up there.
    I lived there 87/88/89, i rode bikes but never went that far out of town on them, the farthest i went was kakadu NP on my Katana 650 shafty.

My mate owned a 86 VFR 750 and an 84 VFR 400 for a while, i used the VFR 400 on occasions and it was a great little run around but i bought the Katana 650 off him (i had the option on the VFR 400).

I remember lusting after the white 86/87 VFR 750 that were in the Honda showroom, we almost scored a VF1000 back then at auction but we were outbid.

Hot up that way, but great lifestyle.:smile:

4. keny

keny New Member

Finland
    Hello. I was to NZ last nov. and was suprised whit the high speed limit. 100km/h on roads, I`m used to have 60 km/h on some twisty roads like that....
    Where I live we have a general speed limit of 80 km/h, 60 on more twisty roads and 100 on bigger roads, 120 on motorways in summer. I was doing a tour from Aukland- Whakatane-Grisbone-Naiper-Taupo-Auckland. Was there for 15 days, of which 7 in Taupo. Sadly not on bike, but car. Was suprised I didn`t see much bikes, accept enduro bikes in Taupo (isde aka Six Days event I was there for). Great motorbike roads! Love to ride a bike there! Well I could actually think to move and live in NZ!

5. Hopsterman

Hopsterman New Member

Australia
    Map
    Yeah mate, there are dream motorbike riding roads in the South Island too.

Aussie roads are too straight and booring. Ive worn a large flat spot on my rear tyre.

6. Coldcomfort

Coldcomfort New Member

Some interesting numbers here. Bare in mind that the 130k speed limit came into effect on the 1st of Jan 2007.

Death toll 2006 44.
    Death toll 2007 57.
    Death toll 2008 75.
    Death toll 2009 (so far) 1.

But all is not lost. The Goverment has pocketed almost 3mill extra $$ over the last two years.