Normal running temp.

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by Tex, Nov 18, 2003.

1. Tex

Tex New Member

Map
    Hi all, new member here. I recently bought a '99 VFR and the guy who had it before me put some running lights under the front fairing and I was wondering if it hurt air flow.

I run around 170 while moving and in stop and go traffic it can get up to 210. I was wondering if this was normal or if I am not getting enough air through to cool the engine.

Thanks ahead of time

2. VifferChic

VifferChic New Member

Hey Tex -

I have a '98 model and my running temps are identical to yours. As a matter of fact, they sometimes run a little hotter than that! I'd say your okay with the running lights. Ride safe.

Tiffany

3. Tex

Tex New Member

Map
    That's good to know! Thanks for the speedy reply. :)

4. Rumblefish

Rumblefish New Member

Map
    I've got a '99 as well...totally normal temps. Tex

RF

5. Motomaj

Motomaj New Member

Map
    ???so what are the "normal"operating temps? i have a 98 vfr..man it's really nice!! just bought a corbin for it on this website. get back someone...thanks 8)

6. Tourmeister

Tourmeister New Member

Howdy,

170F is the min normal operating temp. If you are running hard on a backroad and keeping the revs up over 7K for extended periods of time, really hammering the throttle out of corners, etc,... then you might get up around 240F. Sitting in traffic here in the Texas summer heat, I have had my gauge start flashing because I was over 256F. At that point I will drive down the shoulder very slow, 10mph or so just to get some air moving over the engine. Honda's little radiator fan is worthless in that situation. I figure if a cop stops me, I'll explain it to him and see if I can get him to understand that I was trying not to breakdown in traffic and cause a traffic jam ;) Normal touring and crusing at a sporty pace will be around 190-210F. I ran a full synthetiic oil (Mobil One) for quite a few miles. It dropped the avg temp about 10F for any given conditions. I stopped using it just because I got a better deal on some other stuff, otherwise I was quite happy with it.

Adios,

7. Motomaj

Motomaj New Member

Map
    :) thanks tourmeister..i was a bit cocerned about the indicated temp at times although the light never flashed. i just recieved my corbin with the red flames and put on in about 5 secs. then i just sat on it. i know i know..but hey i love my bike(s) all three of em. the beemer 1100rs with a pipe and a corbin is really a lot of fun..especially on the long hauls. the 520 ktm rules...anywhere off road!!! take care anmd thanks for all the info . by the way i have a devilk up pipe on the vef sounds way cool!!! see ya...paul the milkweed.

8. Jake

Jake New Member

Perfectly normal temps for mine as well... It runs at a minimum of 170, but usually around 190-210. It can get as high as 235 in stop-and-go traffic on a hot day. Fortunately I rarely find myself in that situation.

HTH,
    Jake

9. Guest

Guest Guest

10. Guest

Guest Guest

Oops

I run around 200-210 cruising, about 227 stop and go, and about 235 in the hills because I dont shift much between turns.

I just read another thread that mentioned temps and my setup. Perhaps I run hot because I have a D&D slip on and my mech changed my air filter to a K&N. He said it was cheaper than a new Honda filter. I dont have a PCII, and I never heard of this combo being a problem before today. I always thought my temps were normal.

11. VifferChic

VifferChic New Member

235 temp is pretty hot! If you are running an after market pipe AND a K&N filter, you definitely need a PCII or a Techlusion to keep your bike from running so hot. I suggest the Techlusion over the PCII .... here is the website www.techlusion.us/home.htm

12. Jake

Jake New Member

Re: Oops

VifferChic is right.  Those temps do sound a bit high.  The combination of high-flow pipe and filter could be causing the engine to run in a leaner-than-normal condition.  A PCII (or techlusion) box could be used to richen up the air-fuel mixture and lower your temps, as well as allow the engine to take full advantage of the greater breathing capacity and make a little more power.

I run stock exhaust/filter and added the PCII just to clean up the bottom end.  It really helps that off-idle twitchiness and makes the off-idle throttle response closer to that of a carbureted bike (just a little more abrupt...)

HTH,
    Jake

13. Guest

Guest Guest

The temps were the same completely stock. Although I did just take a road trip up the coast and temps were 170-180 in 60ish weather.

The temps I reported earlier were mostly from my daily commute.

14. Tourmeister

Tourmeister New Member

This is not uncommon on the track here in Texas. As long as the guage is not blinking red, you are okay. I have had temps higher than this when canyon carving in Colorado in the summer. Ambient temps were around 105F and the bike was hugging 245F to 250F. The guage starts blinking around 254 I think? While these temps are higher than "Normal Operating Temps", they are not fatal to the bike, nor do they do damage. The "Normal" temps are for just cruising along at a nice highway pace. It does not apply to running the bike through its' paces on backroads where the demands on the engine are a lot higher. If you ever do hit the blinking guage temps, just upshift a few times and slow down. The temps will come down quite rapidly.

Now for just everyday putting around, if I continually saw 235, I'd be concerned that something was amiss. Perhaps a thermostat is stuck closed? Who knows?

Adios,

Adios,

15. VifferChic

VifferChic New Member

My bad, yo! 8) Thanks for clarifying everything, Scott. Good to have you guys here when we need some expert advise. I removed my post so it wouldn't be misleading.

16. CMCRacer

CMCRacer Guest

I noticed the 2002 and newer bikes have bigger Radiators and Fan.. Anyone look at fitting the Radiators or at least the fan...since low speed airflow seems to be more the issue and not radiator capacity??

I wonder how much it is for a fan....to try it

Also anyone have any experience running something besides the 50/50 mixture of Antifreeze and Water?? I mean where I live I could get by with almost no Anitfreeze even in the winter. But I worry about corrosion with all the Aluminum. In my racecar I run a few bottles of Redline Water Wetter and water. Thoughts on just Water Wetter and Distilled water in the VFR?

Chris Teasdale
    1998 VFR
    Northern California

17. WarriorRacer#13

WarriorRacer#13 New Member

New to the site. This thread mostly covers the exact question I was gonna ask, but...

I have a Jardine street core and K&N on their way. A buddy of mine at my sponsor shop (I race MX on a quad) is a big sport bike guy and said that he didn't know if the factory FI would be able to compensate for the pipe AND K&N, which is exactly what you guys were saying...cause it to run lean, or hot.

I know a lot of racecar guys around here run EngineIce or LiquiCool in their cars. It's supposed to be just silly about keeping a car cool. Could I run that instead of Antifreeze and save myself $170 (the cost of the PC versus a couple gallons of EngineIce)?

18. fasteddie

fasteddie New Member

Hi All,
    My 2000 VFR seems to run hot too, in stop go traffic the fan comes on at 104 degrees (ambient temp of 25 degrees). Has anybody tried changing the termostrat to see if that is the problem?
    Thanks
    Eddie