Nor Cal must ride roads

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by 01ragtop, May 2, 2017.

1. 01ragtop

01ragtop Member

United States
    Map
    I am planning a road trip with some friends of mine. We are on a tight schedule, but want to ride some of Northern California's epic roads. Because of our tight schedule, we are going to trailer the bikes to Nor Cal, and either set up at a base location and ride a couple of days out of that base, or we will leave the truck and trailer behind and ride a loop that brings us back to the starting point. We only have a couple of days riding, but we're all set to ride sun up to sun down. Looking to do 300-400 miles both days before we load up and head back home to families and work.

I have ridden the 36 one other time, and I have bragged it up so much that my buddies want to ride it now too. So with that stated, the 36 made the cut, and we'll be limited to roads in the general vicinity of the 36. That is unless someone can give a road condition that is less than favorable. (its been two years since I was last there.)

I have also ridden the 1/101 from Fortuna to Fort Bragg, and the 20 from Fort Bragg to Williams. These are all good roads, to be sure, but if there is something better, I am all ears. I don't get up that way very often, so I want to make the most of it.

Anyways, any help you all might be able to provide would be appreciated.

2. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Well fwiw I was in a car looking for a short cut to 5 and took 175, what a riot of a road, it's a must do the next time I'm in the area for sure. but all the roads in and around 36 are pretty good, so be hard to pick. 299 and 3 are also great 128, 20 etc. to many to pick from damn. Good luck.

3. V4toTour

V4toTour New Member

United States
    Skaggs Springs Rd

4. vegaquark

vegaquark New Member

Spain
    I would love to go south cal and say hi to rnickeymouse (search for him on youtube) on mulholland hwy... As for north, i know nothing
    Good luck and come back with photos!

5. 01ragtop

01ragtop Member

United States
    Map
    I get up to Mulholland a couple of times a year, and while it is fun, it doesn't compare to Northern California. It doesn't even compare to some other SoCal roads in my opinion.

I just am not as familiar with the roads up north. I know some people like to keep their favorites secret, so if you PM me a favorite road, I won't share it out on the Internet.

6. vegaquark

vegaquark New Member

Spain
    I'm not jealous about my roads, but they are far far far away from California, or even the States... I'm from Galicia at Spain, at the tail of Europe, and our roads here are wet, curvy, and not for the faint of heart as some pig or cow could like to say hi at any given moment on the middle of the road after a narrow turn...
    I would love anyway to get to know your roads and to meet you all!

7. norcalscot

norcalscot New Member

United States
    Highway 49 from Mariposa or Oakhurst up to Auburn is great - you can also detour through Yosemite on the way. You could detour off 49 on either 4 or 88 to get up into the Sierras and head for Tahoe, or over to 395 which is beautiful.

If you were based in somewhere like Jackson or Angels Camp you could head up and down 49/88/4 and make plenty of loops over to 395 and back.

When are you thinking about doing this? The snow pack is high this year and some of the Sierra Passes might be closed until later than usual this year. Sonora Pass (Highway 108) might be closed until August it has so much snow this year...

Highway 49 is at lower elevation and is in great shape already. I've done a couple of 300 mile days on it so far this year.

Here's a picture I took the other week on the section of 49 known as "The Little Dragon".

IMG_20170410_125531.jpg

8. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    I've heard nothing but great things about this area. Another on the bucket list of roads to hit up. But from here in the PNW, it's not so much N.Ca. Still worthy a checking out for sure.

9. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

Nobody likes it when their favorite roads get posted openly on the internet, it should be blatantly obvious as to why. PM that shit, jeebus.

10. Alaskan

Alaskan Member

United States
    Map
    LOL, NorcalBoy!

I will say that 96 from Happy Camp south to Willow Creek is a mess! I rode it last weekend. Frost heave damage and tar snakes. Horrible!

11. 01ragtop

01ragtop Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks for that update. That road was under consideration. Is that an issue on other roads in the area too?

12. Alaskan

Alaskan Member

United States
    Map
    No, the other highways are mostly smooth sailing except for slide removals on 299 west from Weaverville, but even that wasn't bad. Highway 3 was great, with some short roadwork delays just south of Douglas City as I recall. The Gazelle-Callahan Road was fun! Stop at the tavern in Callahan. Good sandwiches!

Highway 36 west from I-5 was great too, but I didn't ride the stretch to the coast. As I mentioned, there were slides on 299 west from Weaverville but only short roadwork delays. Check the CalTrans website/phone before you commit. Or ask the locals.

Highway 96 north from Happy Camp to I-5 is a favorite. Smooth and fast. I saw two CHP patrol cars on that stretch. Unusual. But you don't have to shred the speed limit to have fun on that road. YMMV.

If you tough-out that stretch of 96 between Happy Camp and Willow Creek (the worst is between Hoopa and Cottage Grove, really) you will have a great ride no matter where you go. I put on 650 miles from Ashland OR over two days and couldn't wipe the smile off my face.

Last edited: May 3, 2017
  13. V4toTour

V4toTour New Member

United States
    Oh, please.... guess you'd better hop in a time machine then. :violin:

http://www.motorcycleroads.com/75/1306/California/Skaggs-Spring-Rd.html
    http://www.motorcycleroads.us/roads/ca_ssr.html
    http://www.sundaymorningrides.com/road/7920642/
    http://bayarearidersforum.com/mini/showthread.php?t=206340
    http://roadwarrior.blogs.pressdemocrat.com/14820/skaggs-springs-speeders-beware/

You done?

14. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    I-5 for the harleydoods should reduce the clutter at least some.

15. 01ragtop

01ragtop Member

United States
    Map
    I was checking CalTrans, but your report is much appreciated. It's always nice to have a motorcyclist perspective.