No Total Mileage Display

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by Frosty, Oct 7, 2019.

1. Frosty

Frosty New Member

United States
    I need some electronic help. My new (to me) 1998 VFR800 is in pristine condition, but according to the PO the odometer had no display. The LCD appears to self test OK. The speedometer works (6-8% high). The trip A & B functions work. The Temperature and Trip buttons work. There is no display for Total Miles???
    thoughts?

upload_2019-10-7_11-53-22.png

upload_2019-10-7_11-56-46.jpeg

2. xmarkedspot

xmarkedspot New Member

United States
    Map
    My buddies 2000 is doing the same thing. We were told to check the main grounding block. The one near the r/r. I think the plug is orange on a 5th gen.

3. Frosty

Frosty New Member

United States
    Thanks. Picking up new mounted tires and will check after wheels back on. I was going thru the electrical system and will start here.

4. Frosty

Frosty New Member

United States
    I found a used instrument assembly from the UK. The fault appears to be on the original LCD circuit board. The difference between the boards appears to be degrees C vs F.

5. OOTV

OOTV Insider

I have one from a 1999 US model, it was from a working bike, that is until!the engine threw a connecting rod! PM me if you’re interested, as it’ll probably be much cheaper and will have the appropriate indicators.

6. Frosty

Frosty New Member

United States
    Instrument cluster now shows Total Mileage.
    To close the loop on my problem. I purchased a used instrument console from England. The cover uses green turn signal lenses vs amber and the temps are centigrade. By swapping LCD circuit boards and consoles, I narrowed the problem down to the original circuit board. I sent both circuit boards to OdoPro in Littleton, CO.
    The memory chip on the original circuit board was bad so Peter put the correct mileage on my replacement circuit board. He said that he could replace the damaged memory chip and load it, but he would have to order one of the older chips.
    He provided excellent service with quick turn arounds and replys to emails.

https://www.odo-pro.com/digital-mileage-correction.html

RllwJoe and OOTV like this.