NO throttle response until bike is warm? what gives?

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by bobthebiker, Aug 9, 2011.

1. bobthebiker

bobthebiker New Member

this is something I'm unaccustomed to, once you warm the bike up, my 84 700 runs awesome, although a touch laggy off idle, but starting, and cold, it REFUSES to accept throttle inputs. it'll idle fairly well, making me suspect pilots arent to blame, seeing as I cleaned em while I had the engine out for some other stuff, plugs are brand new, and correctly gapped, I synched the carbs(going to recheck though since new plugs) not sure what else I may be missing.

or is this pretty ordinary of these old girls? I'll try some carb cleaner later if it'll help things, doubtful, but I'll do almost anything to avoid pulling those damn carbs off again. they're such a headache to install without sayin a FEW blasphemous things about Honda.

2. dutchwurx

dutchwurx New Member

Map
    float needle sticking...that would be one guess

3. captb

captb New Member

United States
    Map
    I would drain the float bowls into a clear glass and see if any rust/water or shitz comes out.

4. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    You could experiment by backing out mixture screws, and if things improve, you might try cleaning pilot jets again.

5. bobthebiker

bobthebiker New Member

just for S&G, I put my carb synch tool back on again today, and did a THIRD check, hey never hurts, expecially after doing new plugs and having everything firing on all 4, and WELL tuned. turns out my #2 was way outta synch, now response is far better.

I also discovered I needed to change my shifter pedal angle and height because it was hitting the sidestand, and knockin outta first, or not going into, neither is good. fixed, and I feel like a champ. my ol girl is gonna be happy soon gettin miles on her again.