No crank, no click

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by ats1080, Jan 26, 2020.

1. ats1080

ats1080 New Member

United States
    Map
    I have an '86 VRF700 that has been sitting for about 12 years because of various issues. I ended up getting an 07 GSXR and the VFR sat ever since. From what I remember the only last problem is it won't start with the button. A couple months ago I jumped the starter solenoid it cranked over and started up. So far I have replaced the starter solenoid and took the start button apart and cleaned it good. It looks like the button got overheated at some point and melted. I tried searching but I don't know what I'm looking for, can anyone link me to a flow chart for starting system troubleshooting?

2. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    flowchart is in service manual. just replace the switch assembly.

3. ats1080

ats1080 New Member

United States
    Map
    I took the switch assembly apart, looks good. The headlight goes out when I push the button. Where can I get the service manual?

4. raYzerman

raYzerman Member

Canada
    Map
  5. ats1080

ats1080 New Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks raYzerman! Not sure why I didn't get an alert of a reply but I'll check that out. I found a troubleshooting guide for a similar model and it said to look for the clutch diode and test it. I was at my parents tonight and took a look at the bike. I found a diode on the wire harness kind of under the gas can right where the seat meets (pic attached, not my bike in pic). It's not where the diode was located in the guide I was looking at but it was the only diode in that general area that I could find. Is this the clutch diode? Either way, I tested it and it failed, there's continuity in both directions. Already ordered a new part from ebay. Could that be the cause or do you think there's something else going on? I would think if the part failed open it would cause an issue but failing closed seems odd that it would prevent the bike from turning over.

Attached Files:

6. ats1080

ats1080 New Member

United States
    Map
    I got the new rectifier diode installed yesterday but it still won't do anything when I push the starter button. I didn't have a lot of time so I didn't check anything else. The one I took out was labeled S3H-02 but the one I got from ebay is labeled IIIB-02 (even though the title was S3H-02). Are they the same thing? The pins were the same direction and polarity and it was the same physical size. I guess my next step is to check the clutch and starter switch. Where do I check that the switches are working? I don't want to break the wiring insulation unless I have to.

7. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    Have you jumped the wires that go to the switch on the clutch master cylinder?

8. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    test the start push button functionality with a multimeter at the plug connector. check that there is continuity between the black and yellow/red wires at the 7-wire plug from the right hand switches when button is pressed. without connection, the switch might be bad or the contacts might need cleaning.

you need a factory service manual to do any useful electrical troubleshooting.

9. sixdog

sixdog Member

United States
    Map
    Did you test the new diode to make sure it's ok?

10. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    I know improbable is not the same as impossible, but...

I have never had to replace, let alone test, that diode on any of my bikes or the VF/VFRs of customers or friends. Maybe I'm lucky. Well, I know I am, but still.

11. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    ^^^^ diode will be destroyed if battery is mistakenly hooked up with wrong polarity.......even for a second.

12. sixdog

sixdog Member

United States
    Map
    I just repalced my first one on my 84 Vf1000..... I was lucky for 36 years Captain. Squirrel is correct. Check the new one.... make sure.

13. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    please someone post info on where to find a diode replacement for our vfr's.

14. sixdog

sixdog Member

United States
    Map
  15. ats1080

ats1080 New Member

United States
    Map
    @sixdog that's the diode I got. Mine is also labeled IIIB-02 but the one I took out was S3H-02. I did test the new diode before putting it in. Weird thing was I didn't have continuity but the actual diode function on my multimeter said it passed.

16. ats1080

ats1080 New Member

United States
    Map
    I got it started the other day. I'm not sure what actually fixed the problem. I'm thinking it was just a bad solenoid the whole time. After I put in the new solenoid it still wouldn't turn over so I started looking over the wire harness for rubbed wires and didn't find anything. I checked the fuses and the starting system fuse was blown. Replaced that and it turned right over. I'm still not sure what the deal is with the diode. IIIB-02 is certainly the wrong one. The +/- poles are swapped from S3H-02. I put the original one that tested bad back in (continuity in both directions) so I guess the wrong diode could also have been part of the problem. It works with the bad one in so I think I'll just leave it. The battery that I just got last year is already bad so I'm just waiting for that to come in to take it for a test ride.

17. ats1080

ats1080 New Member

United States
    Map
    Got the new battery in and it starts/runs great now. I guess I'll need to order a new diode because every time I pull in the clutch the neutral light comes on. Makes it annoying to find neutral. Also getting some overheating problems now, mostly just when idling. The coolant will bubble out the hose on the right side. I read a few other threads and it was suggested to try a new radiator cap first. Someone said the AutoZone part number is 7513 https://www.autozone.com/cooling-he...iator-cap/duralast-radiator-cap-7513/4433_0_0. Advance Auto is much closer for me, does anyone know the part number there? The AutoZone page doesn't give much to go on to search for on Advance Auto. Also haven't taken the fairings off to check if the fan is working. If the cap doesn't fix it and the fan is working, does anyone have a good instruction post or youtube video for flushing out the coolant system? It was toward the low line on the overflow tank but it was not empty, although I really doubt it has ever been flushed. Definitely not in the 13 years I had it.

18. Dannoxyz

Dannoxyz New Member

United States
    Map
    Go down to bottom of Autozone page and click on "THIS PART FITS THESE VEHICLES" link.

That radiator cap fits Honda Civix 1988-1991.

Looks like Futaba FEW # G1010121551FUT cap from Advance Auto should work.
    Never buy generic house-brands from these outfits.

19. ats1080

ats1080 New Member

United States
    Map
    It was nice so I decided to go for a ride and pick it up. That's definitely not the right part, outer dimension is too small. I ended up just ordering an overpriced original cap off ebay $30 OUCH!

20. ats1080

ats1080 New Member

United States
    Map
    The radiator cap fixed the bubbling out problem. On to other things...

I think the stator tests bad. I'm only getting a little over 12v at the battery with he engine revved to 2.5k rpm. I'm only getting 10vac at 5k rpm out of the stator, but I didn't know the R/R should be disconnected. I crimped the wires together so I'll have to cut them and test again to be sure. The weird thing is I tested the ohms before I crimped it, and I'm pretty sure it was less than 5 ohms on all wires. There are so many threads on here for testing stators and R/R's. Can anyone recommend one?

The next problem is the fan. My temp gauge got up to almost the top line while I was idling it and the fan never kicked on. I heard the coolant bubbling back in the overflow container but it never did come out the tube that goes down to the ground, so that's a step in the right direction. I saw a couple people mention a common fan mod but "fan mod" is too short to search for I went though 5 pages of search results for fan modification and I'm not finding it. The best I could find was a link in a thread which is broken http://vfrworld.com/forums/1st-2nd-generation-1983-1989/12930-cooling-fan-problem-help.html Can someone point me to a thread on testing the fan and temp sensor for the fan and/or installing the fan over ride switch?