Night Riding

Discussion in 'Trips & Events' started by Jeff_Barrett, Aug 20, 2016.

1. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    Night riding is one of my most favourite things to do. I do a lot of night riding.

It's lonely as I'm usually by myself almost always.

But it's also soothing. It's just you, the road ahead (can't see anything else but the starry sky), and your music. It's peaceful feeling the engine rumbling away under you and the air rushing past your helmet. Almost zen-like.

It's the place I go to think and contemplate. The roads are empty in the countryside where I ride.

Often though, I wish I had a company to share it with. Especially when it's a clear moonless sky and the stars light the way.

Anyone else? What's it like for you??

It got down to 7*C (44*F) this evening. I'm glad I brought my cold weather gloves and heated jacket liner. I also flipped on the heated grips. These were the best purchases I've ever made.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

2. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
    I feel that way as well. I even enjoy riding in the rain, for much of the same reasons. It demands your full attention and therefore you're more fully present in the moment, less stuck in the past, so it's peaceful.

3. Arnzinator

Arnzinator New Member

United States
    Map
    Another vote for night riding. I've been working 2nd shift for last couple years & the ride home has always been something to look forward too. In a word therapeutic. About the only downside are the creatures of the night that might cross our paths.

4. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    I love riding at night and in the rain. Seem like it's bring me closer to the Nature....I found to be peaceful and joyful. Hard to explain in word!

5. FJ12rydertoo

FJ12rydertoo Member

United States
    Map
    I used to love riding at night, but as I've gotten older my eyesight is not as good at night. That and the deer around here are so plentiful you just can't relax. Back when you could turn the headlights off I used to go out on nights when there was a full moon, turn out the headlight, and just ride by the light of the moon. What a trip! It was like riding a silver ribbon.

6. James Bond

James Bond Member

United States
    Map
    My 8th gen has yet to be ridden after dark. I want to and will do it some weekend night for the reasons you do it Jeff. The danger where I ride goes up exponentially though due where I live being infested with deer. I've seen five deer in my yard in broad daylight countless times and I live in a metro area of a half million. They like to eat urban landscaping. They don't like it when they catch a pellet in the ass though ; ). I call deer hunting in my state "deer shooting".

7. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    I live in a rural area with large deer population due to a park where you can't hunt and a lot of surrounding agricultural land. I know the feeling. Lolzz

8. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    I love it since I do it almost every day, all be it I'm slabbin it. ESPECIALLY right when the sun gos down, got some rockin music and a big smile. The only thing that does scare the shit out of me is to never lose my concentration of looking way ahead for all the debri on our hwys which is a disgrace.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Hannarexic

Hannarexic New Member

Canada
    Map
    My favorite time to ride is between 4 -7 in the morning Im a farmer used to early mornings and when i have a day off i cant sleep past 4 so to let the wife sleep i jump on my second love an go for a ride. I love the cool air and peacefulness of the empty roads. So it works out I get to ride and spend the day's with me wife so there's no complaints about my f***ing bike.

10. vulgar1

vulgar1 New Member

United States
    My schedule doesn't allow to ride much at night anymore. That being said I live in Washington and work 12 hour days so half of the year I ride to and from work in the dark. It takes away a lot of distractions. I also do plenty of riding in the rain :) Best part of that is all the people looking at you like you're crazy. I tell every rider I know to ride in the rain. It makes you a much better rider. It's like doing track days in a sense.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

11. James Bond

James Bond Member

United States
    Map
    And then there's the crappy condition of almost every "shovel ready" highway in the country. A smooth road is a luxury now.

12. A.M

A.M Moderator Staff Member

I love night riding if I am in a familiar area.
    I am better at anticipating where trouble areas with wildlife are, potential traffic, and road conditions.
    Then it can be fun and calming. I love the smells and air temperature changes I feel when I know I'm around bodies of water. It's fun to see the celestials and critters like bats and owls in the sky.

I dislike night riding in unfamiliar places.
    Especially in inclement weather, like torrential rain and passing semis in blinding rain hoping there isn't debris or an animal in the road. So many things I don't know when I'm on an unfamiliar roadway and I have to be on more of an alert the entire time...which is not relaxing. Not to say I completely let down my guard in familiar places, but it's definitely more stressful.

Now if only I could ride under those Northern Lights...

13. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    We'll arrange a ride under the NL for you!

14. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
    From the Northern Lights I've seen in Montana and Idaho, it would be cool to ride under, but at the same time the usually take up such a vast amount of sky that all I want to do is lay on my back in a big open field and enjoy the show!!!

15. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    That's very rare occurance to get the NL that far South in MT and ID. Much less vivid as well.

We get the sporadically here unless you go to Churchill.

Come up here when there's snow on the ground ....

16. RobVG

RobVG Member

Canada
    Map
    Reminds me of a blog post I wrote.

http://vfrworld.com/forums/entry.php/395-Apprehensive

17. A.M

A.M Moderator Staff Member

"In the solitude, I felt alive again."

I think, in part, that's why we all do this crazy thing called riding. :)

No matter the weather or circumstance, I never feel more alive than I do on my moto and dealing moto things.

As for night vision, mine kinda sux because glare bothers me (astigmatism). ictghost had some sort of amber eyewear he wears at night. I'm meeting up with him tomorrow. I'll ask him what he has again because I forgot when he let me try them on the first time. I'm interested in some for myself.

18. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    Go to the hardware store and pick up a set of amber safety glasses. You can also buy amber shooting glasses at Cabelas

19. Big_Jim59

Big_Jim59 Member

United States
    Map
    My last serious foray into to night riding was a couple of years ago when Bryson and I rode down to to South Texas to ride the Twisted Sisters. My headlights kick out quite a wide beam and you could see the eyes, shining in the brush just off the road. It was a great ride, cold with my heated Gerbings cranked up, but the deer factor kind of puckered me up. I have to admit to having the same sensation when riding at night. It's just amazing.

20. GreyVF750F

GreyVF750F Member

United States
    Map
    A buddy and me used to leave about 9 o'clock at night and ride till sun up. Always liked those rides. I didn't like racing at night (24hr race) until we got a good light setup then I looked forward to it. The best part was the last night stint were the last half was when it started getting light with the sun coming up.
    It gave more motivation to go faster.