Nice and Harry Bridge between MD & VA

Discussion in 'USA - Northeast' started by nozzle, Apr 18, 2008.

1. nozzle

nozzle New Member

United States
    Map
    After the new battery ($173! at the local bike shop - they wanted $201, but the "old" price sticker was $173) I took the VFR for her 10,000 mile commute. She turned the odometer over on the way North to DC from home. Then, after the morning demo, rode down to Dahlgren, VA crossing the Harry Nice Bridge. The bridge is well named since it is:
    a) narrow two laned
    b) is high enough that there's a nice breeze at times, other times the breeze is windy and not so nice
    c) has "low" concrete barrier walls
    d) is old.
    My mind was able to let me know that if for some reason I hit an on coming car, or swerved and hit the jersey wall, I would most likely be sucked over the edge and fall over 150 into the Potomac. I had to consider if it would be better to go:
    1) feet-first or 2)head-first with the helmet on?

Anyone have theories on which way would be more survivable?

I was able to make it over meet for two hours, then run up to College Park to do a Las Vegas night before getting home just in time to open a beer, sit down and see the freakin' Philly Phliers score in the 2nd OT over the Caps.

210 miles for the first real ride this year. I'll have the bike for one year on Memorial Day... and I've yet to take any long trips on her. :eek:

Note to Pearl... I left at 6am, back at 10:30pm...it was all for work and you'd need wait while I was on base... better fun to wait until the weekend. :wink:

Last edited: Apr 18, 2008
  2. Pearl-93

Pearl-93 New Member

Shoulda called me!!!
    I haven't done more than 50 clicks at a time yet this year :(

Need a riding buddy next time?

-S

3. Pearl-93

Pearl-93 New Member

Oops..almost forgot.

If I'm gonna die, I wanna die real cool!
    I'd rather go HEAD FIRST
    Crash the bike in firey blaze, then have the 60mph wind sux me and the flaming bike over the edge head first into the Potomac.

-S

4. drewl

drewl Insider

United States
    Map
    feet first. Maybe break ankles and shins. Head first-neck. any other questions.

5. WhiteKnight

WhiteKnight Well-Known Member

United States
    Map
    Feet first if I am you nozzle cause whatever shaft your dealer broke off in you after you paying $173 bucks for a battery would probably part the water. :tongue: :roll: lol. Seriously, head first as you would probably break your neck.

6. nozzle

nozzle New Member

United States
    Map
    Yeah, the battery was insane, but... It was in stock, the exact replacement, and the price was over 150 at autozone and two local cycle dealers. Anyone else priced a replacement for a 6th gen? it burned me, but I wanted to go and not worry about the bat.

On the water entry... will your hands break a hole for the helmet, or is the helmet too big? feet first, would the helmet pull your head off? I think maybe the best would be to take it off on the way down and go feet first.