New VFR owner

Discussion in '3rd & 4th Generation 1990-1997' started by alex858, Oct 7, 2004.

1. alex858

alex858 New Member

Map
    Hi,
    I just bought my neighbors 91 VFR w/ 30,000 miles on it. Its in prestine condition, he had it sitting in his garage for 4 years though. It runs good now except for a few things. when on the power and let the throttle off, it sounds like it backfires during engine braking also when making slow turns (under 20 mph) the front wobbles a little, not enought to make it dangerous, just uncomfortable. I raised the tire pressure, it was at 30, so i went up to 36psi, so i'll see if that helps tomorrow. What should i look for or have looked at with this bike? any known problems? it has 30k original miles.
    thanks for anyones help,
    Alex Applegate

2. cookinbikes

cookinbikes New Member

Alex,

Congrats on your purchase of the '91 VFR. I own one presently and am very happy with it.

I also owned a '94 version that I sold a couple years ago. It was bone stock. The new owner promptly drilled holes in the airbox, and it ran like crap. He created a lean condition, then had to plug up all the holes to get it running right again. Your backfires during off throttle conditions could mean the engine is running lean. Does your bike have an aftermarket pipe? If so, this could contribute, especially if the previous owner did not re-jet.

On the other hand, since the bike has been sitting a few years, it may just need a couple tanks of gas run through it. You might try a gasoline additive that has carb/fuel injector cleaning properties (Seafoam, others). Depending on how the bike was prepped prior to its lengthy layover, you might have some partially clogged jets. Poor running at low speed suggests plugged pilot jet(s).

Hope this helps,

Cookinbikes

3. 92yellowveefer

92yellowveefer New Member

Map
    As afar as your front end wobble is concerned, my 91 developed the same problem at around 20,000. My dealer installed tapered roller bearings in the head and the wobble disappeared - and it seems to be much more stable than ever before.
    Cost about $120 including the part.