New to VFR800 World

Discussion in 'New Riders' started by crector15, Jul 13, 2015.

1. crector15

crector15 New Member

Hi, I just bought a vfr800 2005 with 40000 miles on her. Can anyone tell me the best way to clean a dirty chain? and how to check for break ware? I owned a 02 vfr800 and never ran into any problems but didn't have her at 40000 miles.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

2. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    Dupont makes a great degreaser for chains. Spray it on and let it do its work, then wipe it off. Works best if you do this right after a ride while the chain is warm. AFter cleaning it, lube it with a good lube. Everyone has their preference. Again, I like Dupont's Chain Saver chain lube. If appears to be a wax type spry on. Goes on opake and dries very fast. Wipe of the excess for a clean lubed chain. Best part none of that fuggen dirty fling on your wheels. Fing is a bitch when you are runing white wheels.

Checking for chain wear is something you may be better off searching Youtube. There is a ton of stuff on there from qualified people to help our us back yard mechano set mechanics. Here's one that I was totally unaware of and just stumbled onto. Many here have done this simple task to their liking. http://vfrworld.com/forums/showthread.php/46539-Brake-Disc-Bobbins?highlight=

3. crector15

crector15 New Member

Thanks for the knowledge and links

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

4. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    I have an '02 VFR800 ... I got it this past winter with 29,000 kilometers on it ... I am now at almost 38,000 kilometers.

1. Clean Chain: Buy Tirox and the nifty 360* brush they have. Works AWESOME!!
    2. Brake Wear: Front calipers just take a peek - easy enough to inspect the pads from the front. The rear pads, remove the 2 bolts that hold the caliper on, pull it off, and inspect.

Welcome!! :)

Chain Lube - I tried a few including the Dupont Teflon (Dry Lub) - I didn't like that one personally, I could feel the chain through the left peg. I switched to Castrol chain lube and there's no vibration at all now. Very little fling. I'm considering going to a Scott Oiler though.