New to Vfr s. Switched from a Cbr

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by Latinojw, Mar 15, 2016.

1. Latinojw

Latinojw New Member

I'm flying down to LA to pick up my new bike. A 2013 VFR1200f . Will post pics when I'm with it

2. Knight

Knight New Member

United States
    Map
    Welcome Laninojw, and great choice. That is what of the best bikes ever made, and highly underrated. I'm sure you'll have a blast.

3. Satoa

Satoa New Member

I'm about to make the jump my self - from CBR to VFR my budget will allow a 5th or maybe a 6th gen. I know what to expect and look for when deciding on a CBR but still wading thru the info on these 2 generations---pro and cons wise

4. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    :welcome: You guys will love the VFR :thumb:
    You now can ride some serious miles without braking your back :pound:

5. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    Fifth gens are bullet proof except for some wiring/connections and the charging system. The 98/99 VFR800 is the pinnacle of VFR, no catalytic converter, no o2 sensors, just smooth strong fueling. The 2000 and 2001 VFR800 was fitted with slightly smaller diameter catted headers and o2 sensors which just over complicate things and screw up the fueling. The 2000 and up VFR800s have a wax unit that controls the cold idle, but all everyone does is complain about this anyways.

The sixth gen VFR800s look prettier and have that sweet underseat exhaust. They traded those great sounding and bullet proof gear driven cams for stupid chain driven vtec that everyone complains about. So the sixth gens will need new cam chain tensioners every 30,000 miles or so. Its not as big of a deal as everyone makes it out to be, I have changed mine out twice already, I am at 70,000 miles on my 2007. The cam chain tensioners do not cause engine failures as it sounds so bad when they start wearing out, only someone who is deaf would keep riding. VTEC is pretty cool, it sounds great when it opens up, it is kind of exciting and saves a little gas when you stay out of it, but it does make the valve clearance inspections/adjustments a total pain in the ass, but its not like anyone does them anyways lol. These bike will make it to 100,000 miles with out touching the valves. VTEC doesn't add any power, but when tuned, it can debatably either increase fuel mileage or add low end torque while in two valve operation. The sixth gen suspension is slightly better than the fifth gen 43mm forks vs 41mm. Some sixth gens have ABS, if you are into that kind of thing. The linked brakes were updated, if you are into that sort of stuff. Really who cares, if you are into going fast you are going to do a front end swap and upgrade the rear shock anyways....

In 2006, the Sixth gen VFR800 was supposedly updated with a better wiring harness to fix electrical issues, but stupid honda never put on a mosfett rr, so the charging system still fails on the 2006 plus vfrs anyways lol. But the 2006+ VFRs did receive cool clear turn signals, a paint matched center fairing piece, an updated ecu and injectors. the vtec activation point was lowered from 6800 rpms to 6400 and an off point of 6100 (vtec window).

TLDR;
    VFR800s are great. When you buy one check the charging system by measuring the the voltage with key off, at idle and at 5000. Then check the electrical connections. If the CCT's are bad you will know it. These things last forever if they are taken care. A competent owner and garage kept is more important than the mileage.
    Cam gears go WHRRRRRRRRR
    VTEC goes BHWAHHHHHH

6. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    Candyred must be done with school and have a lot of free time :thumb:

7. Satoa

Satoa New Member

Yeah no kiddin - Thanks Candy for all the info. I'll read your post diligently, a few times, and from just from what I've read you've touched on a lot of what I have discovered in my research and have broken it down - which is what I was trying to do on my own but jeez - takes a lot of time. You have greatly provided!! Thank You!!

8. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    Haha yeah you are right! I am doing inventory at work and it is the worst thing ever lol.

9. Knight

Knight New Member

United States
    Map
    I love my fifth gen more than anything. That said, if you find an immaculate bike with records for proactive maintenance and such, an owner that really cares, I can see that in helping to sway the decision. I got a very nice looking garage queen 1999 that probably had the original fluids in it. That incurs some cost.

High miles can be good. It means it is cheaper even though they are riding it and maintaining it. It usually means more innocuous fairing scratches from the actual travel. People here have ridden upwards of 150,000 miles. I think some 200k. That is a testament to the engine, as I'm sure many other parts needed periodic replacement. But the bike is of high quality overall.

Some fifth gen parts are beginning to fall off of the OEM supply map. Probably starting to happen with the 6th gen but I wouldn't know.

Get a fifth gen and you can then call yourself a "gear driven cam snob."

What people here call the 7th gen, the vfr1200 should be on your radar. It was particularly unpopular and some used ones can be found at a steal, within 6th gen prices.

10. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    You're welcome. Let me know if you have any other questions.

11. Satoa

Satoa New Member

Candy I will most likely take you up on that. Just sold the CBR 30 minutes ago and now the hunt is on and deep study too. Jeez so many options where do I begin lol.

12. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    That's not a bad one by no means, the rear shock is a nice touch. wonder if he re valved the front forks to match. Depending on your riding style and what you are expecting vs. want out of a bike ride wise. These VFR 5th gens are the hot rod of the bunch, like Candy threw out the 98-99 are a wee bit better depending, then the 00-01 have the cat &o2s still not a huge deal to deal with. This one is right there price wise IMO, ask if he has the stock clip ons, Those that are installed will keep you a bit more up right over the stock ones, which are not bad just a concern since you are coming off a CBR which where lower even more so. It has a taller after market screen, a personal preference in what one wants, in that see if he has the stock one too just in case. YELLOW!!! he's right saying RARE, to find a clean one with this millage is a score, Also ask if he had the valves checked, the recommended service is at 16K. that's a $400+ service from a dealer and kinda tells one how things are, most VFRS do not have any issues, but at 16k and this at 18k it's a good time to make sure all is right. From all that, what I first saw here on the add it's not a bad one, I'd at the least drop him some questions and if it isn't to far off, I'd go see I would. Be ready for some beautiful music when fired off. and $4k is ok, if all is right with you.

13. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Opps, all most forgot Double check with him to hear what he has had in the way of trouble with the charging system. by now he's mid stream with issues, if he hasn't had any. 90% of the problem comes from the three wire connection to the RR is the culprit, water gets in there and starts a corrosion then all things fall in place for the RR to fail, if not more, but 90% of the time a new RR fixes this and if maybe a redo in those connectors. You could also ask how much rain it's seen in it's rides.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2016
  14. Satoa

Satoa New Member

Thanks so much RVFR for the thorough input. Yes I did indeed feel a need to ask many of the same questions and am glad you brought up a few more that are much required. I feel particularly impressed by this one after having read loads throughout this forum and after having viewed dozens of 5th and 6th gen's on C/L. Appears to be one that has been cared for. I did look at a 15k mile '98' last week(for the sake of the cats and o2) but it was stored outside, very obvious. I will ask the questions and if satisfactory, take an 80 minute ride and have a look - with $$ and riding gear.
    I would like to send out a general thank you and to this forum for being so helpful. I was a mod on a Corvette forum(my other addiction) for a few years and the fact is everyone is a noob at some point - and I'm trying to soak "all that is VFR" in as quick as possible :playful:

15. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    The price is a little steep, as clean 6th gens are going for that now, but the ad looks to be written by someone who really takes care of their bikes. More importantly, the bike looks to be pretty much perfect, so honestly, I wouldn't feel bad about paying that much. I like the emphasis on high quality touring parts and not cheap boy racer stuff. That is also another bonus as to letting you know it was more than likely not abused by a squid. Overall, good find...

16. sportcruiser

sportcruiser New Member

United States
    Map
    Congrats! Mine's just about 1 year old now. Absolutely love it. Have done as much as 13 hours in a single day on it. Could do longer if it had cruise control. The engine is sheer poetry. :)

17. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

Kuwait
    Map
    Hope you decide to push the button on the yellow VFR, Satoa, I agree that looks like one I'd buy, it has just the right alterations, maybe just needs some fork work (Daugherty Motorsports would be the guys to contact) to complement the lovely shock.

18. sportcruiser

sportcruiser New Member

United States
    Map
    Have the dealer do the driveshaft recall on it right away.

19. Latinojw

Latinojw New Member

Guy who sold it to me had it done right before he delivered. I check my vin for recalls and there's none. So I figured he wasn't lying. Lol

20. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    Wow a 98 with 1500 miles! Nice.