New to VFR, Please help with Stalling issue!

Discussion in '3rd & 4th Generation 1990-1997' started by GreGsVFR, May 7, 2009.

1. GreGsVFR

GreGsVFR New Member

Map
    I am sure this has been posted a million times in the past. I am new to the VFR world, I just purchased a '92 VFR750f last Friday. I bought the bike, and the next day it stalled out while I was on it and would only start again if I popped the clutch. I thought that maybe it was the battery since it was sitting for a little while (but it did start fine the day before and earlier that day). I bought a new battery and rode it for maybe a total of 45 minutes or so over 2 days. I was turning into my destination and it stalled out again, and seemed to have no battery juice. I called the shop where the bike had last been tuned up and had work done on it (the previous owner gave me their info) and they said to bring it down right away. After about 30 minutes or so it started right up again so I decided to head to the motorcycle shop immediately. About 1/2 a mile away or so the bike stalled out while I was at a stop sign. Some guy was nice enough to stop off and give me a jump and get me going again, and follow me to the shop (about 3 miles away.) The bike made it down the highway and as soon as I let off of the gas to get off of the exit I saw the tach go down to 0 and it wouldn't start (even if I popped the clutch.) The guy pulled off behind me and gave me a jump again and it started and I made it to the top of the road where the shop is and it stalled again and I rolled into it. They said they will check it. The previous owner said that he had them change the relay/rectifier before because it was doing a similar thing where it stalled out only once on him. That was when he brought it to the same shop to have them fix it. They changed the rectifier, gave it a tune up and told him it was fine. He got a new VFR over the winter and decided to sell the bike. It only has 12,500 miles on it and doesn't even have a scratch. What do you guys think? What could it be? I'm terribly sorry for such a long posting, I am just stumped. Could it be the stater? The thing that stumps me is that it started after sitting for like 30 min. Please Help!!!

Thanks

2. TOE CUTTER

TOE CUTTER Mullet Man

United States
    Map
    meter

Do you own a volt meter?

3. jwnaron

jwnaron New Member

sounds like you're running off of the battery. Did you let it sit for a minute, hooked up when you got a jump? It's possible you got a bit of a re-charge from the guy that jumped you off. I bet if you put a volt meter to it you will see that while it's running at a higher than idle RPM the electrical system has about 12V or less running through it. Are your lights dim. When you try to start it does it turn over at a normal speed but just won't fire?
    I'm not exactly high the voltage should be (I think there are some electrical experts here) should be but, I know cars run at about 14.5V or so. My guess is that you should be somewhere around that. If is it running at a higher voltage than 12V my next guess would be to some how load test the charging system.

4. TAGLICIOUS

TAGLICIOUS New Member

LOL check your frickin safety switch for your kickstand! LMFAO that's classic

5. hans_dio_nie

hans_dio_nie New Member

Kuwait
    Map
    Sir,

I also encounter the same problem before. The discharging of my battery is due to the wrong installation/connection of my wires when I replaced my starting relay and rectifier. Check your wires if its in proper places. The previous owner might interchanged the wires.

Hope it helps. Good luck!

6. jwnaron

jwnaron New Member

Ummmm... I don't think you would be able to get it to start at all if your safety switch was engaged. Who should be laughing at whom???

7. hondajt

hondajt New Member

I think he means its going bad. Not that it is bad. Either way, sounds more like power than switch related

8. lostlogic

lostlogic New Member

VFR I just bought had roughly that behavior. Was the R/R. As to what's causing your R/Rs to go bad, probably a partial short to ground somewhere, or a loose connection to ground somewhere or some combination thereof. Ask Ghost about where to look in the electrical system for faults that would cause R/Rs to die.

9. WhiteKnight

WhiteKnight Well-Known Member

United States
    Map
    From the info you provided, symptoms are a failing/failed regulator/rectifier

10. pokerplayer6989

pokerplayer6989 New Member

me too

im having the same problem on my 86 if you find an answer let me know thanks

11. pokerplayer6989

and my fuel light keeps coming on!

12. Ghost

Ghost New Member

Map
    I never flame anyone in posts. its too easy to take words out of context due to lack of inflection during interpretation.

Toe and WhiteKnight have the only good answers here. I do hope GreGsVFR, posts again, and can provide a little more information. Symptoms can vary from faulty equipment, old, worn harness connectors / connections, to loose fuses.

Toe has the first and correct response. We need to get some data to help diagnose the problem. If not, and sounds like the bikes already at a shop, please, GreGsVFR, post the outcome so that others can learn from this.

13. deepdish

deepdish Banned

purgatory.........................................
    does it have a fuel pump??????????had a bike did that old hurricane fuel pump bad.pitcock clogged? so many things so little typing i want to do,

14. pokerplayer6989

lol

i figured out what was wrong with the fuel. i forgot to turn the pet cock on.... duh. i happened to look down after i got home and realized it was off.so stupid. but i cant figure out the battery thing still no clue there

15. TOE CUTTER

TOE CUTTER Mullet Man

United States
    Map
    poker

What is your bike doing poker?

16. Ghost

Ghost New Member

Map
    no worries Poker, I will admit, I have done this before, and gotten off the bike just a cussing, and freaking out how much time, money and effort I put into this stupid mother effing son of a... oh, my gas is off... heh, *whistles*

Sooo whats up with your battery?

17. GreGsVFR

GreGsVFR New Member

Map
    Alright, the shop that I brought it to was aweful and they didn't help me at all. They told me that it was the battery not being charged all the way. They had the bike for a week and they didn't open it up to check anything. They ended up giving me a new rectifier (even though the one on it was already brand new), so now I have an extra one just in case. I did a slow trickle charge for 24 hours on the battery like they told me, and while riding it died again. I decided to bring it to a different shop that a buddy recommended and within like 2 hours they called me and said that there were a couple of shorts in the wires and the wiring harness was old and melted. They are going to be replacing the old wiring and harness and will re-check it probably Tuesday or Wednesday. The stator was putting out the correct output I guess and the R/R was working fine as far as they could tell so far. The wires do need to be changed to make sure that was the only problem. I didn't want to just check it myself because it is starting to get nice out and I want to ride instead of trying to fix it myself (who knows how long that would take.) Thanks for your suggestions, seems like alot of you know your stuff and were on the right track there especially Ghost! THanks

18. TOE CUTTER

TOE CUTTER Mullet Man

United States
    Map
    3rd gen

You need to get a meter and go step by step into your charging system. It is not very complicated.Ohm Your stator through three pin plug on both sides as I would consider that first suspect. And work you way from that point. I would think a close look at damaged wiring,slight as it may be is your culprit, a burnt or melted connector will give you fits. Odds are sharp eyes will locate problem for cheap.:thumbsup:pm me if I can help.....