New to the VFR scene - 2003 VFR

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by 91talon, Aug 26, 2012.

1. 91talon

91talon New Member

Hello all,
    Just purchased a 2003 VFR w/ABS. It has the stock exhaust gutted, but not sure if it has anything else done to it. Needs a couple things cosmetically, but nothing too serious.
    My previous bike was a '92 Katana 600, so this is a TOTALLY different beast.
    Will take some getting used to the idle and power feel. I don't mind it, but it is different from a straight 4.
    Just a couple of things I would like to get some advice on:

1. the bike has 38k miles on it, so I'm looking at doing a complete tune-up (also, because I don't know when the last one was done) so what all should I change? Plugs, oil, oil filter...

2. When should I take it in for a valve adjustment, and does anyone know about how much that costs?

I will probably troll around the site, trying to learn as I go, but so far I'm loving all the information I've found.

[​IMG]

2. 91talon

91talon New Member

Found answers to question 2 on this forum and VFRD.

Question 1 is pretty straightforward... not sure what I was thinking exactly.

Have been noticing that the power doesn't seem too smooth, but upon further inspection, I noticed that the chain has about 2 inches of play, or more. :eek:
    After downloading the service manual, I'm pretty confident I can tighten the chain myself. :) Looks to be a bit easier than it was on my Katana even.

Now to go find the tool kit that my bike didn't come with...

3. 91talon

91talon New Member

testing signature

4. tinkerinWstuff

tinkerinWstuff Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map
    welcome to the forum! Nice looking bike.

The chain adjustment is super easy with the factory center stand. The tool kit is rather reasonably priced around $60ish new as I recal. I bought one last year. Might find a used kit cheaper on ebay.

valve adjustment for vtec is pricey and you might have to check several dealerships before you find one willing to take it on.

5. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    :welcome: Welcome to the madness, nice looking Silver. Enjoy your new ride and be safe.

6. Pliskin

Pliskin New Member

United States
    Map
    Congrats. I know when I bought my bike (from a dealer) I didn't know how to adjust the chain either. Brought it in to them one day and they showed me. It really is a breeze.

Members here seem to say a valve adjustment runs anywhere for $600 to $800.

Can't tell if that's a pin stripe on your wheels or if its rim tape. But the wheel is usually completely black, so that's a minor difference from stock. And looks much better than all black, IMO.

7. 91talon

91talon New Member

Thanks all.

Yeah, it looks pretty straightforward to adjust the chain, so I'm not too worried about that.

As for the stripes, the guy I bought the bike from put silver rim tape on. I think it looks pretty nice against the black rims.

8. 91talon

91talon New Member

Oh, and I forgot the mention that it does have the exhaust gutted. That sould is pretty addictive...

9. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Very nice ride you got there Talonman- I also like that wheel tape, makes it pop. Ride safe my friend