New to the St Louis area

Discussion in 'USA - Central' started by JRotten, Apr 2, 2006.

1. JRotten

JRotten New Member

Well, it finally happened. After riding the famed roads of California for over 20 years, I had to move. I am now living near St. Louis MO, and after a brief time settling in, I need to find some roads that I hunger for. So far what I have learned is there is not much here that will allow me to thread my bike through corners and switch backs.

I have seen quite a bit of sportbikes but from what I can see, their rear tires show syptoms of no lean wear. Most of their tires are resembling a car tire (square to the sidewall). From what I know, I might have to travel to the Ozark mountains in Missouri or to the Applaichians mountains of Tennessse and North Carolina.

The sad thing before I came to southern Illinois, I had put a brand new set of Michelin Pilot Power on and only got a few days of riding on them in the Napa/Berryessa area before packing up. I don't want to see the my new Michelins see the fate of what I have seen so far (square to the sidewall).

Is there any roads with any appeal (beside clover leaf on-ramps to the highways) that can fulfill my desire to carve turns at one's desire. If so, please for the love of God, let me know. You might just make a new best friend.

2. russhuber

russhuber New Member

JR, I suggest you go a few miles southwest of St. Louis and ride the letter roads, A, TT, Z, etc. I never found any interesting roads in southern IL either. Russ

3. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    I just moved to cali after growing up in MO. you will not run out of roads to run there. there is a group of sportriders from the southern illinois/southern missouri area that get together and ride about every week. they are a casual group. i.e. no name no dues etc but meet pretty regularly. they have a tendency to shun speed limits, though and might not be the type of group you want to ride with. If you are interested, I can give you the e-mail for a friend that used to ride his GSXR 1000 with them until he sold it fearing his own demise in their riding style.

4. JRotten

JRotten New Member

Thanks,

Any group of riders contacts you can forward to me will much appreicated. The forecast for this weekend is great and I will go and check out those letters roads (A, TT, and Z). Still, I search...

5. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    Okay, here is my friend Taylor's e-mail: tntstudios57@yahoo.com. At least I think that's what he's using now. It used to be bulletbike57@yahoo.com but he dropped it when he started a photography studio. He's still located in Cape Girardeau and should be able to tell you where those guys meet and such.

6. fisch

fisch New Member

http://www.midwestriderz.com
    A great site for finding sport bike riders in the area, I ride with a group that love twisties. In fact we all just had to put new tires on our bikes, mine had about a third inch of tread left on the corner.

7. OFNA

OFNA New Member

We need to hook up when its warm. I'm based out of breese...

8. mech2006

mech2006 New Member

Are you all riding this weekend?

9. JRotten

JRotten New Member

Wish I could ride any weekend, but I am working 7 days a week until Mid-March. The weather was nice on Sunday and I was really bummed out from it.

Anyways, I usally hook up with some of the people from STLAR and ride some ripping roads. Some of these roads are just as sweet as the ones I rode in Cali. If you are in the area, pm me and I will give you a list of some must ride roads.

10. OFNA

OFNA New Member

Great day for an evening ride

Looking to take advantage of the 70 deg weather, I took a nice evening ride. It was great to take her out after a long time in the garage. I think I came close to breaking the land speed record on New 50. To humid for twisties....

11. OFNA

OFNA New Member

Update

JRotten... have you been riding lately?

12. XBMWRDR

XBMWRDR New Member

I live in Fairview Hts and ride the twisty roads of So. Mo. The MO-STL-HSTA have rides every weekend. They are a mature group and friendly group. Be prepared to ride 200+ miles if you ride with them.

Yahoo! Groups

13. rexbaum

rexbaum New Member

Any of you guys still riding a VFR? Relatively new to the forum, and I am trying to find local fellow VFR people.

14. Hdivr

Hdivr New Member

Drive from STL south on Hwy 67 until you reach Farmington MO. At that point you can get on any highway going south and you are in curve heaven.

Want to drive a little farther? Follow Hwy 19 from St. James MO to Eminence Missouri. Best curvy roads in the state.....lol

15. Dukiedook

Dukiedook New Member

Map
    Meh, 32 or 72 from 44 east to 55 would make great twistys on the ridge riding.