New to me 2002 vfr800

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by tc862011, Nov 25, 2019.

1. tc862011

tc862011 New Member

United States
    I was given a 2002 vfr800 and the short story is mice got into the intake while it sat and seized the positions. The original owner that I got it from had the pistons fixed and had it put back together. They had a no start situation and thought the valve timing was off but then put it away because he had gotten into newer bikes. I checked spark and it’s nice and strong. I have the air filter box removed and was watching the valves in the throttle body and they all open and seem to seal. One thing I noticed is there is no fuel spray pattern in any of the throttle body’s. I figured the way the injectors are angled you would be able to see it. I did spray carb clean into the intake to see if it would fire and it didn’t. But I did watch the vtech valves that the carb clean sat on with out leaking out while cranking so those are sealing well. I have always done all my own work so nothing really intimidates me about working on it, just don’t know anything about these specific bikes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Nov 25, 2019
  2. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

Kuwait
    Map
    I'd be pulling the injectors out for a clean. Either send them to a professional or try some of the DIY methods on Youtube.

One obvious question though, is the fuel pump running? You should hear it priming for a few seconds whenever you turn on the ignition.

3. tc862011

tc862011 New Member

United States
    It is priming. Going to be getting a bore scope in a day or so to look at things but I feel like it’s something keeping the fuel from being sprayed but it also didn’t fire on carb clean. I would think I would at least get some time of ignition even if the timing was off. When it cranks it sounds good. No weird noises. Will keep digging. Got the bike for free so even putting in a different motor isn’t out of the realm of reality. Really excited about this bike and I am determined to fix it [​IMG]

4. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

Kuwait
    Map
    tc862011 likes this.
  5. tc862011

tc862011 New Member

United States
    So I think I found the issue, left front cylinder is pushing compression past the intake valve. I’ll try to download the manual again but it didn’t work for me

6. tc862011

tc862011 New Member

United States
    Even tho it leaks compression I bumped the motor till I saw the valve seat and sprayed Pb blast in the intake for that valve and it’s been holding at the same level for 20 minutes. Curious on what that means. Maybe it does have a timing issue on the front but why would it be only one cylinder