New rotor bolts on rotor replacement?

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by Lint, Jun 27, 2016.

1. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
    In the notes section of the Service Manual, it states that I should replace the bolts when I remove them for rotor work. It states they are the type that must be rep;aced. Spendy though. Thoughts?

2. Arnzinator

Arnzinator New Member

United States
    Map
    A lot of bolts a required to be replaced according to the manual. Most are gonna reuse them. A little Loc-tite, torque to spec & your good. If you want to replace them Pro-Bolt has lots of fancy ones. Titanium, stainless, anodized in lots of colors. Generic bolts can be had anywhere that sells bike parts. You can even find them at your local home improvement store. If they were say head bolts, I'd replace them.

I had my rotors off at about 8500 miles when I had my wheels powder coated. Put it back together with the original bolts. 30k miles later, no problems.

3. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    I will inspect a bolt and reuse if in good condition. The only bolts I usually replace no matter what are cylinder head bolts since they are more prone to stretching.

4. FightingChance

FightingChance New Member

I usually re-use them, thought I inspect the heads; if the allen is starting to round anywhere, I like to replace them.

Don't use red loc-tite (I actually don't use loc-tite on these anymore.)

5. Arnzinator

Arnzinator New Member

United States
    Map
  6. RobVG

RobVG Member

Canada
    Map
    Sure, you'll probably be alright reusing them.

I've become a lot more cautious, i'd replace them. If Honda engineers see a need to replace them, I'd take their word for it. They know the stress, stretching and fatigue factors. Just my 2 cents.

7. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    FWIW, this qustion came up to me as well but a bit of checking told me I'm safe and sound to re use mine, only after a thorough look over. When checking the torque specs, this told me they are way in their limits to be re used. Just saying, I'm a nut, haha, for this sort of thing and know most stuff from the factory is over engineered. it's more a sake of liability than it is structural insecurity for them saying get new ones. That said, I haven't seen yours and how they came off/out. So there ya have it.

8. rhoderage

rhoderage New Member

Canada
    Map
    Reuse, but ensure you scrub off the old locktite. The re-using idea is thought to relate to the bolts being pre-loctite'd as a one-time use item. Clean em up, blue locktite, re-use has worked for me.

9. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    Bmw had a recall on the torx bolts that held on their rotors years ago. I reuse mine and never look at them really. Have EBC rotors on all my bike front to back

10. RobVG

RobVG Member

Canada
    Map
    You're probably right about liability.

11. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    I re-used mine when my wheels were powder coated. I believe that seeing as these bolts are on a part of the braking system, and very much a safety issue, any manufacturer will recommend replacement with new just to reduce likelihood of civil action against them otherwise. But next time they come off, I will replace with new. After all, there is a shit pile of miles on mine so I think is tis a wise safe bet to change mine at that time.

12. DaHose

DaHose New Member

United States
    Map
    General rules of thumb below.

If unsure about a bolt's torque setting, reference a well known table that lists maximum torques based on size/material of a bolt. Below is a good one.

https://www.boltdepot.com/fastener-information/bolts/US-Recommended-Torque.aspx

So if the manual says the torque on the bolts is well below the maximum shown in the chart, I don't have a problem reusing once or twice. However, you cannot "see" if a bolt is ok or not, always remember that you are playing the odds that it can be reused.

The rule is that you should ALWAYS replace torque to yield bolts. Anything tightened with an angle method and most cylinder head bolts are torque to yield. That said, I recall that even torque to yield bolts can handle about 4 tightenings. The factory might torque once, back off a tiny bit and re-torque. Technically that is two uses, so pulling them once and re-using "should" be ok. I am one that ALWAYS replaces torque to yield bolts.

If you ever use loctite on a bolt, blue is the best bet. I don't ever recall a fastener coming loose when I used blue loctite on it, and the blue stuff is intended to allow removal.

Jose

13. RobVG

RobVG Member

Canada
    Map
    Just a side note, Loctite says to reduce torque 20%. I think it's because you'll lower the friction on the threads and stretch the bolts a little more.

14. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks all!

15. pzpz

pzpz New Member

Israel
    1. None has mentioned the shear force or shear strength. Seems to me that this is the right consideration here. Each time we brake hard we create shear strength fatigue.

(2. Ask 2 3 Honda dealer fors them. If thay dont have them in stock and need to order them. Than i guess they also resuse the old one. )

squirrelman likes this.
  16. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Or don't be cheap in the wrong way and go
    pro bolt--- problem solved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. Grumpy old man

Grumpy old man New Member

New Zealand
    Map
    But DO NOT use pro bolt ALLOY bolts on brake rotors

Sadly this needs to be spelled out or some numb nuts will think they can save a few grams with pretty colored alloy bolts only to have it all end in tears and medical bills

squirrelman likes this.
  18. kennybobby

kennybobby New Member

United States
    Heart of Dixie Georgia Boys mighta been usin' dat
    Map
    Without knowing the metallurgy/heat treatment/strength of the bolts it is not possible to determine to what percentage of the yield strength they were torqued. The Honda CSM has a section on fasteners to explain the various types and it indicates following the instructions in the specific model service manual for replacement and torque settings. It lists brake disc bolts in the category of fasteners that use thread locking compound to prevent loosening.

Since front brakes are a life-critical system then a conservative approach must be considered from both a safety and liability (factory and service center) point of view.

And another way to look at it: how much do the replacement bolts cost, versus how much is your life worth? Cheapest insurance you'll ever buy that actually provides substantial benefits...

19. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    Third time unlucky. I pulled my rotors off because my nice white wheels were just so guddam grungy and dirty. I had to polish the crud off.

Well I went to re-install the bolts. Snugged thee first side on and began torqueing to spec, 14.75 FP. Third bolt snapped. Dammit!

Couldn't find my extractor set. Then again I think it was too big for the bolts anyway. Run to Canadian Tire as this is a Sunday and my old tool store is closed. Bought a new set of extractors and was carefully able to get the broken stud out after a few tries.

Now what even makes this worse is this. This is a long weekend. Motorcycle shops here are seldom open on Monday s. So the shop won't be open till Wednesday now. And I doubt they have them in stock TABERNAK!

I assure all of you I will be partaking in a few single malts tonight.

Lint likes this.
  20. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Trick there Randy is, don't let the wheels get so dirty ;) FWIW I reused mine too. looking up torque specs and all told me I'll do just fine.

34468 Randy likes this.