New rider

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by Dirtslinger, Apr 26, 2008.

1. Dirtslinger

Dirtslinger New Member

Map
    Hi, just joined the forum and I see lots of good info. I am 43 and tired of paying big bucks to drive my diesel truck back and forth to work (30 miles each way) and have decided to get a bike. A friend here at work has a 96 VFR with about 23k miles on it. The bike is in perfect condition and he wants about 3k for it. I was originally thinking I should go for a cruiser, but he has gotten me really interested in this bike. I know that some say I should start out with something smaller to get used to riding, but I really hate to buy something that I dont plan to keep. I am not the least bit interested in showing out and I know that I will be taking it easy on whatever I ride. I am getting too old to heal fast. I just want something comfortable, reliable, and able to get good mileage as long as I am easy on the throttle.
    Any opinions?

2. speed

speed New Member

United States
    Map
    Hello and Welcome to site, that sounds like a good deal on the bike are you going to get it and if you post some pictures for us. I would recommend taking a weekend motorcycle course ? and and after that just take things easy untill you get use to the bike ? what state do you live in ? goodluck

3. v4pwr

v4pwr New Member

Map
    the price sounds pretty good to me. i understand the whole not wanting to buy a learner bike, just take it easy and practice in a parking lot or somewhere out of traffic to get used to it. if you've never ridden before these bikes take some practice. they turn great but you need to lean the bike more than a cruiser to get it turn. that takes some getting used to. i definately recommend a msf course. most provide bikes for the basic course and will provide quite a bit of technique. i love my vfr and would never trade it for a criuser personally, but if your not for sure maybe try and find a place you can rent or test ride one to make sure you make the choice thats best for you. good luck.