New rider new to forum

Discussion in 'New Riders' started by D.EAGLE, Apr 17, 2007.

1. D.EAGLE

D.EAGLE New Member

hey, I just completed my basic riders course and will have my
    endorsment in a few days. After talking with my instuctor and plenty of research I feel I can handle a vfr 800 for my first bike. im 6.4'' and 250 lbs so the smaller bikes are not an option. What advise would you give? Im lookin at 2002 models.

2. SLOVFR

SLOVFR Member

United States
    Map
    While the VFR 800 is a great bike it is and feels very heavy. If your not going to start tearing up the corners and use it mainly as a touring bike you will probably be ok. If you have a few friends with different bikes to road test might be the best. Its not the easiest bike to own for a first one....just be ready to pick it up.

3. R.W.

R.W. New Member

United States
    Map
    Their is no substitute for street experience, always expect the unexpected when it comes to cars, especially in the city, you have the size and the power for the 540lb beast so take it to the country in the first couple of months till you get a good feel for her.

I'm not one to say a VFR is bad for a first bike dependent on the person, but just remember to take it easy in the beginning because that's when most new riders get into trouble, as your confidence grows with your riding ability and the VFR, you'll wonder why it took so long to get on two wheels when you find that perfect little set of twistys in Ohio :nod:

4. k9style00

k9style00 New Member

Map
    I had a similar experience. Took my safety course about 3 months back. A month later bought an 06 vfr. I've never ridden a bike before either but have loved the bike and think it handles great. Fast enough for me even though it's not a true sport bike. I've taken it on a 2 1/2 hour ride and not be sore at all. From what I've heard and been told, the bike rides a little differently from other bikes given its vtech engine. But since I don't have anything to compare it to, I'd have to say it rides just great. I was a little leary at first too starting off with this bike. But it handles great and is very rider friendly. I don't think you could go wrong starting off with it, but again, as mentioned before it all comes down to confidence and ability. Good luck.

5. D.EAGLE

D.EAGLE New Member

Thanks for the replys. after sitting on one even a big guy like me felt comfortable.I dont plan on pushing the bike or myself any time soon
    but give me a year or two.I was lookin at a fz6 and a v-strom but the vfr looks so much better and ive been dreamin a long time about it.

6. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    that's sounds reasonable. the fz6 would be way too small for you I think. The VFR is a good all around bike. The riding position wont fold you like a pretzel and 800 cc should pull you just fine riding solo. the vfr will have enough power for you to grow with as long as you dont get too confident too fast. it's very forgiving to ride which can lead to maybe going a little faster than you should (I should know). I think you'll prob be pleased with it though. Most of us here are....

7. pecarlo

pecarlo New Member

Its An Awesome Bike All The Viffers Out There,just Use What You Learned In The Course And Get Some Experiance With Your Bike And Enjoy .ohh Welcome To The Forum Your Going To Love This Site If You Get Your Viffer.

8. chomper

chomper New Member

United States
    Map
    I went from a zx-10 to a viffer couldent be happier viffer is way easier to ride especially on those long country rides a very forgiving bike. not a wheelie machine like the zx but it still holds it own on twisty stuff just agreat allround bike enjoy your new viffer:smile: