New old guy wading into Viffer world....

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by raYzerman, Dec 5, 2019.

1. raYzerman

raYzerman Member

Canada
    Map
    Hello to all, I'm probably older than most of you, next birthday is the big 7 Oh. I've had several bikes over the years, Honda ST, Yamaha FJR's, and most recently sold my '14 FJR... decided to shed 100+ lbs. and have been tweaking a Honda CBF1000A (you didn't get that in the US) as my 530 lb. sport tourer. Really enjoying that, but have long been interested in a Viffer, pre-Vtec of course, and I'm about to pull the trigger on a nice yellow 1999. I love the sound of those gear driven cams.
    I do all my own work and looking forward to learning from the collective.... got questions, at some point soon. I'm sure there's tips and tricks and I'll search around before bugging you for anything. I already read a bunch of threads so picking up a few things here and there.
    Winter project will be ensuring the bike is all ready to go next spring with whatever needs refreshing, valve check, etc., the usual stuff. Hope to contribute back wherever I can.
    Cheers, Ray.

2. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    Welcome Ray. That yellow is a nice looking bike. We do like photos here so go out and get some soon as you get the bike and postem up pardner.

BTW. There are a few older farts here. I am not far behind you. I start on OAS next summer.

3. raYzerman

raYzerman Member

Canada
    Map
    Thanks for the welcome, Randy. Pics later when I actually have the thing in my posession, for now all you get is a teaser....

[​IMG]

Samuel likes this.
  4. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    Welcome to the nut house, got my 8th gen 5 years ago this month when I was 70! Guess that makes me an older old fart. VFR’s are great bikes.

raYzerman likes this.
  5. Laker

Laker New Member

Canada
    Map
    Welcome here Mr. Yzerman. I am sure you will really like your 5-Gen. I have had mine for 20 years and still love it.
    Unfortunately for you we are all Leaf fans here..
    Enjoy that sweet yellow VFR!

6. raYzerman

raYzerman Member

Canada
    Map
    Thanks, Laker, where are you in this fair province? And, since You brought it up, just remember my team has 3 Stanley Cups in the last 52 years since your team had one and my team set a record with 25 Consecutive years making the playoffs just a short few years ago. I tell everyone I actually cheer for two teams, the Red Wings and anybody playing the Leafs. Yep, just a hockey fan, love the old Original Six rivalries and as long as we can have beer together, all is good. My team sucks right now, dead last. Yours is doing OK now that we sent Shannie up there to straighten things out.
    As for Mr. Yzerman, a short story. He's my sports hero being the great individual he is, and a number of years ago I met my now excellent friend Jeff on a motorcycle forum , he strung me along with some questions after noticing I use the Red Wing logo as my avatar.... eventually tells me his cottage is right next door to StevieY's up on Lake Rosseau. Jeff and I are the best of friends now and we have gone to a few games at the Joe. One day we're getting our tickets checked and Jeff hands me his phone to listen to a voicemail... he'd arranged we meet Stevie that game...... we've since met up with him a couple more times. Not very often you get to meet your sports hero 3 times and be on a first name basis... I don't even have his autograph, the handshake is plenty good enough! Now that Stevie's back in Detroit, I'm sure we'll hook up a few more times, maybe even catch him at the cottage for a beer.
    I'm really looking forward the Gen5, always been an admirer.

7. Steve Eh

Steve Eh New Member

Canada
    Map
    Hey Ray it's nice to share some commonalities with you. I too am an ex FJR rider and someone who also isn't a spring chicken.
    October 2019 I sold my 2003 FJR to a fellow in Saint John, NB who actually was a previous owner of that very bike. It never felt so good watching a bike I just sold ride away. When he owned it back in around 2006 the bike had around 12K on it. When he bought it from me it had 89K on it. He looked at me with a tear in his eye and said in his Scottish accent, "Aye, it's just getting broooken in." He had a smile you could see a mile away. He is well into his sixties and still loves biking. Good-bye FJR, hello VFR...
    The next week I purchased my first VFR. A 2000 5th gen. I went up to Riverview, NB to see one for sale and fell in love at first sight. Brought it home on a trailer and can't wait until next riding season to ride. I've never owned a viffer before but have always wanted one. I saw a red VFR750 on a showroom floor back in the mid 1990's and was hooked. Finances and life changes got in the way back then but I pumped to be a viffer owner now.
    Just like you I wanted to shed a little weight so I went hunting for a 5th gen. My only ride on it was out to my buddies garage for winter storage. That's about 35km from my door. Loved it!!! Can't wait for spring!
    Can't wait to see your yellow99. Thanks for the teazer.
    Cheers
    Steve

8. raYzerman

raYzerman Member

Canada
    Map
    Good to hear from you Steve. Was in your fair province on my FJR last June coming back from Baie Comeau..... I'm a bit of an FJR geek now that I've worked on so many at tech days...I'll hang in with those guys but I'm really looking forward to riding the Viffer alongside my Biffer..... Biffer is going to be the main ride, but you never know!

9. Steve Eh

Steve Eh New Member

Canada
    Map
    Hey Ray, thanks for visiting Nova Scotia. Hope you enjoyed your ride here. Lots of great windy roads that'll push tire wear lines right to the edge. Ya the FJRs are long haul monsters. I hope my Viffer doesn't let me down while day riding. I ride with a friend who has a 5th gen. He never complains but I'm sure my neck and shoulders aren't as tough as his. Haha. But,.. my viffer has an actual handle bar with risers installed by a previous owner. I'll try to upload a picture. Maybe there's hope for my 55 year old beat up frame.
    If you ever venture back this way look me up. We'll go twisty chasing and find some lighthouses in the process for some great photos.
    Cheers
    Steve

10. raYzerman

raYzerman Member

Canada
    Map
    Steve, yes been to NS etc. several times, and there's a few roads there I haven't ridden. Yes I'll look you up next time I'm out there. As they say, you meet the nicest people on a Honda, I've had a few different ones. I'm sure the Viffer is quite reliable, and from what I'm reading, I'd first be sure the stator/regulator connections are clean and tight... 55, sheesh, you're just a pup!
    Cheers, Ray.

11. Laker

Laker New Member

Canada
    Map
    IMG_2104.JPG

Steve Eh and raYzerman like this.
  12. Laker

Laker New Member

Canada
    Map
    I was there too in June with my FJR buddy. The VFR is a terrific sport touring machine. We rode about 8-10 hours a day, no problem. So fun. Worst part? Coming back to Mississauga on the damn 401.
    Mr. Yzerman you will want to contact Jack at roadstercycle.com and get that rr worked out or you may catch on fire.
    See you on the road!

Steve Eh likes this.
  13. Laker

Laker New Member

Canada
    Map
    Oh, and I had a breakdown in Halifax. Needed a new battery and the guys at Dartmouth Honda were Super helpful. I love the Maritimes!

Steve Eh likes this.
  14. Steve Eh

Steve Eh New Member

Canada
    Map
    That's a great picture!! Can you remember where it was?
    Is that a black viffer or dark green?

15. Steve Eh

Steve Eh New Member

Canada
    Map
    Hahaha! A pup? Okay I deserved that. Look forward to riding with ya some day!
    Cheers
    Steve

16. raYzerman

raYzerman Member

Canada
    Map
    I'm not worried about mine, actually haven't seen my stator yet... but it seems some Hondas have stator issues, and mostly it starts with a bad connection and goes downhill from there. I will switch up to a good Mofset RR at some point I'm sure. The CBF1000's (and I assume Fireblades) burn up stators, as there was not enough oil circulation to cool them unless you were at a higher rpm, like more than 4000. Honda had a recall/extended warranty on them.
    So, Mr. Laker, we should have a Viffer gathering in Mr&MrsSauga/Oakville/Burlington after Christmas so we can talk about beer and hockey or sumthin... I'm new here, who are all the Viffer guys in the GTA? Who's going to the bike show Jan. 3,4,5?

Steve Eh likes this.
  17. raYzerman

raYzerman Member

Canada
    Map
    Yesterday was the big day I was waiting for...... lookie what followed me home. Gave it a wee bath then wheeled it in and started a maintenance list. I'll likely start another thread with the progress.[​IMG] [​IMG]

Steve Eh likes this.
  18. Steve Eh

Steve Eh New Member

Canada
    Map
    Hello Yellow Viffer! Looks great.
    Cheers
    Steve

19. raYzerman

raYzerman Member

Canada
    Map
    While one is wading in, one has to go deeper... giving the bike a going over to see what it needs..... so I started stripping the Bumble Bee and got most of her clothes off to see what she looks like naked. Oh my... I let her keep her bra on, then started making my list....... it's getting longer and longer.... I'll probably just continue to post up progress here........
    Notice empty coolant bottle.....

[​IMG]

Steve Eh likes this.