NEW MEMBER LOOKING AT VFR800'S

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by TIM AULT, Sep 5, 2020.

1. TIM AULT

TIM AULT New Member

United States
    New member here, I could use some advice and no better place to ask. I am looking at VFR800's and 2 have caught my eye. The 05 was dropped and plastics were replaced with non factory and the tank was painted not the same color. I believe it has 16000 miles. No factory exhaust, forget the name but has 4 pipes coming from under the seat. It has a sargeant seat which feels good. The other is an 07, lower miles and good plastics. Asking 4 for the 07, kinda no brainer there. The 05 is asking 3500, I offered 2 because of the cheap paint and plastics, he did think about it some. I have a st1300 in the garage and looking to add. I don't like buffering and I saw some info on installing the lip on the windshield that helps. So the help I am looking for is should I look at the 07 or beat up the seller on the 05, another issue is insurance. I was shocked at full coverage on the vfr's . I could just get basic on the 05 and if anything happens no biggie. would appreciate any input, thanks Tim

2. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

France
    Map
    Hi Tim and Welcome to the MadHouse:Welcome:

If you can afford the 07 then that would be my personal choice. Honda plastics are decent quality unlike most Chinese aftermarket carp which can flex and flap alarmingly when ridden hard. If the fairing panels are OEM and in great condition you should probably consider frame sliders - with a full tank these bikes are pretty top heavy and prone to taking a nap. As you will see here..

https://vfrworld.com/threads/you-dropped-it-how-many-time.44298/

The 2006+ models had improved VTEC transition thresholds which largely eliminated the on off power delivery which you could experience with the engine hovering around the VTEC engagement threshold, they also had improved wiring but sadly still came with standard RRs fitted to loads of Honda models which are notorious for eventually going mad so when the regulator element fails you can see your system being fed as much as 60 volts or as little as 10 - either will drain your battery and leave you stranded and potentially melt RR-Stator connectors killing the Stator. If the Rectifier bridge fails you can see AC volts passing into a DC system which is not good and generally costly.

A good question is to ask if the seller has upgraded their RR to a Shindengen RR - if so that is great news as it removes one of the most frequent causes of 6th Gens breaking down. If you want to know more check out this thread which started out on 5th Gen models but continued throughout 6th Gens..

https://vfrworld.com/threads/how-to-fix-common-regulator-stator-failures.39277/

Take Care ATGATT

SkiMad

3. TIM AULT

TIM AULT New Member

United States
    Thanks,

4. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    Welcome to the forum.... I typically will run away from a bike that has too many things reworked/dropped/repainted and generally hacked together.
    If the owner did that kind of care, for sure there are other problems waiting to be discovered if you take ownership.

Best wishes.

duccmann, Viffer J and skimad4x4 like this.
  5. TIM AULT

TIM AULT New Member

United States
    Thanks, I do agree. He wanted cash for me to take a ride in hand, I told him I was throwing the idea of a vfr and just wanted to look it over and sit on it. He could not even get it on the center stand and I had to take it off for him. He only put 3000 miles on the bike in 3 years. The 07 came down a little on the price, I think he will come further. he has had no one else inquire. That bike has a power commander I think he said.

6. ceptorman

ceptorman New Member

United States
    Any update on which bike you purchased? I am considering getting back into riding. I really like the 07, something about red/white/blue Hondas that does it for me. Another bike I'm considering is a VFR1200.

7. TIM AULT

TIM AULT New Member

United States
    I found a barn find, about 2.5 hours away. It's a 2002 with 7500 moles. The plastics are like new, back tire was replaced, front was the original so I got a new one. I went to go look this past Monday and brought it home. I got him down some more after looking it over. The battery was bad, as I was hoping and not something else. Would jump off the car but would only turn over once on its own and showing full charged. When I got home I tried charging and when I pulled the battery out it was blown out at seams, so I ordered another. Rad was low on coolant, changed oil and filter, brake fluid was trashed as well as the clutch fluid . Got a tire on sale at Cycle Gear Wed. night and took a short ride to put fresh gas in and took it out today for a 70 mile ride, 44 degrees , and well worth it. The wiring recall on the front of the bike was done in 2008 as I called Honda for that. The guy I bought it off said he only rode it twice. I was looking at a couple 07's as well but this was half the price.
    ATT00001 (11).jpg

8. ceptorman

ceptorman New Member

United States
    Very nice, you found a nice one....congrats.

9. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    Great bike for a barn find.. congrats

10. skimad4x4

France
    Map
    Congratulations on snagging a bargain VFR.

Hopefully changing the battery will get the bike running well, but as the old one was bulging at the seams, I am not very confident as bulging is possibly a sign of serious over charging. Hence I would also consider fitting a digital voltmeter so you can keep an eye on the charging system.

There are plenty available cheaply on tBay - you just want the version that shows volts as numbers and then connect it to a circuit which only goes live when the ignition is turned on. They are rarely super accurate but after a few rides you will know what is normal and be able to spot if the volts suddenly rise or fall alarmingly, which will give you a chance to head some place safe before the remaining power in the battery is drained and you end up stranded at the roadside.

Take care ATGATT

SkiMad

PetePower, ceptorman and mello dude like this.
  11. TIM AULT

TIM AULT New Member

United States
    So can I just change out the rectifier for now?

12. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    The charging system is the Achilles heel of these bikes. There is lots and lots of threads on it.
    If you don't have a multi meter, now is the time to go buy one..
    And there's a testing thread called "the drill". Ill post the link when I can get to my P.C. or mbe
    someone else can post it....do the test....

If you replace the R/R. ...... www.roadstercycle.com is the place for a upgrade. Avoid the OEM part. I have mount plate kits for the 6th gen, ( your bike)

Where you located Tim?

Last edited: Nov 1, 2020
  13. Viffer J

Viffer J New Member

United States
    Congrats Tim, enjoy your new Viffer!

14. skimad4x4

France
    Map
    Great advice Mello - If you order from Roadstercycle - make sure you ask for an extra 12-18 inches of cable which will make the hook-up to the current loom a lot easier.

mello dude likes this.
  15. TIM AULT

TIM AULT New Member

United States
    I am in Pittsburgh Pa. I looked at one video and I really hate to cut wires , I prefer plug and go. Let me know, or if someone is in the area to help out I will bring beer and order a pizza.

16. TIM AULT

TIM AULT New Member

United States
    I am going to take off the side panel to see if anything was done from the first owner. I know he did the recall on harness in 2008, I called Honda direct and gave me the year. The second owner did nothing. I will get to this sometime this week and post a picture, maybe someone can tell me if it was done what rectifier was used. I should have looked when I had the plastics off changing the oil. I am a stickler for oil changes, I will ride a few times and change oil and filter just so I know it's all flushed out with fresh oil.

PetePower likes this.
  17. ceptorman

ceptorman New Member

United States
    I'm not a big fan of electrical work also, but I always follow the instructions to a T and it usually turns out ok. I'll bet you would be fine cutting a wire or 2.

18. raYzerman

raYzerman Member

Canada
    Map
    What you may find is the original yellow stator wires are corroded back from the original connector and you'll have to snip off some to get to good wire. Don't be afraid of cutting some off, AND ditch those OEM spade connector things. Yes to the extra 18" of wire from Roadster.

19. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    Ok, check out post #9..... "The Drill"
    At least get a multimeter and check the health of your charging system......

20. RllwJoe

RllwJoe Insider

United States
    Map
    mello dude likes this.