New member from South Africa

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by jftitus5, Sep 21, 2021.

1. jftitus5

jftitus5 New Member

South Africa
    Bought my first 2007 VFR 800 vtec accident damage planning either to make a street fighter out of it since getting spares etc. Is a mission over here any suggestions would be appreciated.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my V2026 using Tapatalk

2. Diving Pete

Diving Pete Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Get a set of R&G sliders if you are not putting fairings on. Other versions exist but these are pretty good. Basically if you tip it over you want it to at least be ridable to get home.

jftitus5 likes this.
  3. jftitus5

jftitus5 New Member

South Africa
    Hi Pete guy I bought it from had it for 2 weeks and had a black out while riding and dropped it bought it for a bargain R10k South African currency

4. Diving Pete

Diving Pete Member

United Kingdom
    Map
  5. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

France
    Map
    Hi and Welcome to the MadHouse.:Welcome:

Wow that looks a sad sight.

Even over in Europe with plentiful access to spare parts I would have my doubts over whether it makes sense to try and rescue that bike. I suspect you may be better off if you perhaps carefully dismantle an d examine the bike and sell of any serviceable parts as spares, then use the money to buy a ready to ride bike.

I have no idea how rare a 2007 VFR is in South Africa, or how easy it is to obtain spare parts but unless you are keen to take on a basket case then I would hold off spending any money on it until you prepare a detailed missing parts list and then cost out how much you will need to spend on the minimum parts you need to get the bike suitable for use on the road as a street fighter.

If that bike was in Europe I would be pretty certain the bike would be deemed an insurance write off, and given the extent of the damage it would probably be designated exclusively for breakers yard disposal or indeed immediate crushing only. Yes chinese fairing kits or widely varying quality exist which would hide things, but those dents in the tank suggest the bike has already taken quite a beating so before anyone puts it back on the road it really should get expert assessment to identify any terminal damage to the frame, forks and other critical components.

This may not be the news you were looking for but whatever you do - Good luck and please let us know what you end up doing.

SkiMad

jftitus5 likes this.
  6. jftitus5

jftitus5 New Member

South Africa
    Hi skimad thanks for your input will definitely consider will have a thorough inspection tomorrow.
    1- oil cooler damaged
    2- right hand side radiator
    3- clutch lever
    4- gearlever
    5- Speedo clock
    6- front and side body panel including headlights

My biggest concern is like u said frame damage and front end will take a proper inspection will let u guys know what I've decided.

7. jftitus5

jftitus5 New Member

South Africa
    Ok update I didn't take delivery of bike parts a head ache to get here so I decided rather too wait till year end and get a proper running bike.

skimad4x4 likes this.