New guy in PA

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Durk, Jul 14, 2012.

1. Durk

Durk New Member

I just wanted to introduce myself. I'm buying a red 98 VFR either today or tomorrow.
    This will be my third motorcycle. My first bike was a 1990 Honda CB1. I rode that little screamer for 6 years. I wish I didn't sell it.
    I wanted something bigger so I sold it and found a pretty clean 82 Seca 750. I only kept it a year as it needed worked on a lot.
    But, this is my white buffalo. I've wanted a 98-01 VFR with all its fuel injection and gear driven cam glory for a long time. I'm planning on keeping this bike long term. These bikes are getting hard to find, especially in unmolested condition.
    The bike is 100% stock, original owner. 16,000 miles. I'll put a picture up when I get it. It will need the fluids replaced.
    I have a couple of NOOB questions for you guys.
    How much life left in the sprockets and chain at 16k? Seller said they are original.
    Seller has never checked the valves. What is the service interval for checking clearances?

Here are my previous bikes:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    Welcome to the nuts house
    16k is due for valves inspection, but frankly not many people follow the service manual.
    I have my check at 16K all in spec. now at 60k still run fine.
    At least you can use this for your bargain
    Sprocket and chain last around 20k depend on how you ride
    Make sure the VFRness and the R/R in working condition
    They famouse of failing, ask the seller to open up the fairing so you can visual inspect all the connectors and wire
    Look for any scratch or den on the frame.......etc good luck and report back.
    What is the price?

3. Durk

Durk New Member

The price is 3200. It seems fair. These bikes are above blue book and the NADA is at 3150.
    Yes the R/R was an issue on the CB1 as well, I had mine fry around 15k miles. We always told people on the forum to use heatsink compound on it.
    Chain/sprockets and the R1 R/R will be good winter projects.

4. Scubalong

United States
    Good luck hope you can knock the price down to around $2800 that would be a great deal

5. Durk

Durk New Member

I got it down to $3k.
    These bikes...the hype is right. I've never ridden one of these up until today. I took some back roads home from the notary and I felt like I'd been riding this bike for years. Nice to hear cam gear whine again. Add in the mini v8 exhaust note and it's even better.
    There are a couple orders of business.
    Cleaning and detailing only to the most thorough and rigorous standards. It is dirty.
    No cut frame sliders. I had a car knock the CB1 over and it didn't have frame sliders and got jacked up. After I fixed it I put sliders on. I'm not taking that chance again.
    Wind shield that actually deflects wind.
    Handle bar risers. I'm 5'10" and the seat height is great but I'm leaned over a tad more than I'd like to be.
    New spark plugs.

[​IMG]

6. Pliskin

Pliskin New Member

United States
    Map
    Congrats on the purchase. You obviously know your way around bikes, so I'll throw out some comments and tell you how to spend your money to make it a better bike.

1. Check the R/R and charging system as mentioned previously. On my 2000, the original went, then it was replaced by a R/R from a blackbird and that went 12000 miles later. Now its been done right!

2. I know of only one person on this forum of 16000 members who said they like the stock seat, so you may want to consider a custom mod or the usual aftermarket of Corbin or Sargent. I have a Corbin and fits me fine.

3. I have 16K on my sprocket and chain. I'm not hitting the track, but I also don't go easy on her by any means. Mine are still doing fine. but I'm also a bit neurotic about chain lube and maintenance. I know I'll get to 20K

4. I have no intentions of checking my valves at 16K. Maybe I'll consider it at 24K or so.

5. If you think she sounds like a V8 now, try an aftermarket can. Lots of choices on how quiet or loud you want to go. Check you tube for some sound clips to get an idea.

6. Search this forum for wind screen comparisons. I'm too lazy to do it, but there are plenty. Same with Seats.

And in case no one mentioned it, check your R/R. :biggrin:

7. Durk

Durk New Member

Thanks for the info.
    I ordered new spark plugs and an air filter. I ordered a set of Battlax BT-023s. The tires are on the bike are old/garbage. I can't believe an actual Honda dealership passed this bike's inspection.
    I've never used this tire but the reviews on them were all good. I guess they don't make no cut frame sliders for this bike. Bummer.
    I'm not cutting up the fairing. $80-$100 for a wind screen (piece of acrylic) sucks too. $265 for Heli bars is crazy.

8. Scubalong

United States
    Hahaha..........Be patient check around I am sure you will find them used from othe member. Welcome and Congratulation, now go ride her:vtr2:

9. Pliskin

Pliskin New Member

United States
    Map
    What Scuba said - go for used (except tires, DUH!!) lol. You'll find what you are looking for eventually.

10. rbednar

rbednar New Member

United States
    Map
    Dirk welcome aboard and best of luck! Nice bike!!! You can put sliders on but you have to trim around them, and some of us have an aversion to intentionally cutting that beautiful plastic. New tires will do you good you just have to find heli bars used from someone here or over at the other board. Did you get the cowl to cover the back seat with her?

11. Durk

Durk New Member

Yes I got the seat cowl. Not sure if I will need it the wife and I went on a 50 mile ride and now she wants to go to bike night. Pretty sweet considering she "quit" riding with me 5 years ago.
    Yeah I'm going to keep my eyes peeled on those used bits.

12. funnybusiness

funnybusiness New Member

Congratz on the new bike, depending on where you live in pa we should ride sometime. I'm always looking for other people to ride with.

13. Durk

Durk New Member

I'm outside of Pittsburgh. I'm trying to make it say my location on the side but can't find how. I managed to upload an avatar and get all the other settings right though not sure why I'm hung up on this.

14. drewl

drewl Insider

United States
    Map
    Welcome aboard!

I grew up in the Sahth Hillz. Good roads out that way when you get out away from the city. I was back there in October and was surprised how crowded it had gotten. Washington County wasn't too bad though.

15. Durk

Durk New Member

So on my way home from work the RR crapped out. Thankfully it was at the stop sign right in front of my house.
    It was 97 degrees out, that must have pushed it over the edge. Thankfully the harness didn't get fried. The PO said he put a new battery in it, I got 9-10 volts across it. The RR ruined the battery too.
    I'm sad, I did not think I would be doing this 4 days into owning this bike. But I didn't get stranded.

16. Pliskin

Pliskin New Member

United States
    Map
    Ah sorry dude. That sucks. The good news is you were close to home.

Its been said before and it'll be said again - you don't own a VFR until you've fried a R/R, toasted some wires, and gotten stranded.

Are you sure your battery is officially toast? Can you throw it on the trickle charger overnight and check again? I mean, if everything was good up until today, she may still be OK unless the R/R boiled it.

Not sure what you are planning for replacement, but make sure you check those wires thoroughly. The harness may not be fried, but the spade plug and wires close to it may be a little crispy - especially those from the stator.

Seems there are a lot of threads, questions and reports of failures on the R/R recently. I think this "national" heat wave we are having may be putting a little stress on those units that are borderline.

Good luck!

17. Durk

Durk New Member

I am damn lucky. This night could have been a lot worse.
    So I checked everything out with the multi meter. Everything else is in spec. It failed under-charging. The battery has bounced back. I have it on the charger.
    No fried wires, all connections look brand new.
    Ordered the upgraded factory replacement. Will probably wire in a 12v computer fan and a volt gauge at some point.
    Here she sits.
    [​IMG]

18. Pliskin

Pliskin New Member

United States
    Map
    If your just going with the upgrade, I'd strongly consider at least soldering the wires from the stator to the R/R. I take it the new unit is at least a MOSFET unit?

Hate to sound like a negavtive nancy, but by just swapping out the R/R with no other changes is only prolonging the inevitable. The wiring/electrical systems on the VFR fucking suck, to put it mildly.

Search this forum for R/R, Stator, Melted wires, etc. and you'll see.

19. Durk

Durk New Member

I am not sure if the new RR from Honda is mosfet.
    My rationale is that its riding season, the Honda RR is plug and play. When I replaced the RR on my CB1 I used thermal grease and never had a problem after. Going in and redoing the wiring is a winter project. Since my connections are nice I could always wire up the R1 RR to the factory connecters from the bad RR.
    At least now since it's in my basement I can get the wheels off, my new tires should be here soon.
    But, a volt gauge a must. There are some honda volt gauges on ebay for marine use. I could get one and try to get the factory backlight bulbs so the colors match and it looks sort of factory.

20. Durk

Durk New Member

Updates:
    Ordered a VDO volt gauge that says HONDA at the bottom. Planning on putting it in an A-pillar pod on the left side so it looks clean/factoryish.
    Also ordered a 12V socket so I can wire up the volt gauge and socket to a 12V switch all at once. Probably going to mount it under the seat so I don't have to drill through fairing plastic.
    Currently waiting for new rubber.
    [​IMG]