New Guy, building a Magna Chopper

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Clark Kent, Jul 7, 2009.

1. Clark Kent

Clark Kent New Member

Nice, forum. It's one of the few I found online that had some good info on VFR's and Magnas. I'm a suzuki guy, 05 600 and 06 750 GSXR's, but I've always wanted to build a rigid out with a VFR motor. The sound they produce when you uncap the exhaust is disgusting, I like that.

I recently moved to Philly and picked up a few V30's and a Miniceptor. Started chopping one of the V30's and using the other two bikes are parts.

I've attached a couple images of my build, been working on it for a month or two. The goal is to have it together by the end of this week and running. Then during the winter I'm going to megasquirt it and throw on a turbo. I have another V30 motor and a miniceptor motor for spares....

Attached Files:

2. Clark Kent

Clark Kent New Member

Final frame is dropped to under 5" and stretched by 3". Pipes I built are 1 and 3/8ths inch primaries merging the front 2 cylinders to a 2" pipe. Rear is a log manifold due to clearance issues, flaring out to another 2". I'll wrap them once I'm finished welding.

My father painting, I only have the skill to spray primer...

Attached Files:

3. BCtwisties

BCtwisties New Member

Man... That's going to be a sick sounding ride! And a V4 with Turbo... I love it.
    Looks great - nice job.

4. AndyJ

AndyJ New Member

looks like a nice ride! I'm wondering what it will sound like with those pipes on it!

5. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    Nice jobs...........Keep us posted of your progress :)
    BTW Welcome to the forum.

6. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Nice work and great concept. I hope you have enough brain cells left after spraying that mono isocyanate paint to ride it without drooling all over such a nice bike.

7. Clark Kent

Clark Kent New Member

I was outside for the first few coats of paint, so hopefully I spared a few brain cells.

The pipes should be loud ; ) this winter when I toss a turbo in, it should quiet down some. I'm thinking a vw 1.8t K03 turbo would be the perfect size for this thing. Plus cheap... The intercooler is from a 3 cylinder Chevy Turbo Sprint car. BOV is flanged on the side.

I'm finished welding the pipes, wrapped them for that old school hot rod look. I even have an old model A taillight which I might use on this project. I've been hacking up the harness to relocated the fuse panel from the front forks to the rear of the bike. Built a nice little basket to hold the battery, electronics, and the coolant tank I robbed out of the miniceptor.

I'll try and upload some updated pictures later, right now this site keeps locking when I hit “manage attachments”.

8. Badbilly

United States
    If this bike sounds anything like what I think it will sound like, you'll have the only chopper in the world that sounds like an Indy car.

Serious shit my man. Don't spray that paint without the proper equipment. It will kill you. Any paint even housepaint that is two component is toxic when atomized and inhaled. Another side efect is that there is the potential for the paint to catalyze in your lungs. Bad shit!

Just being picky.. The "right" tail light would be from a "Deuce" rather than an "A". When you are all done with the bike, send a pic and data to SoCal builder Denny Berg and CW mag.

Nice work.

9. RHawkman

RHawkman New Member

Love it! Especially since I am no fabricator, it is great to see people like you create something original like this.

10. drewl

drewl Insider

United States
    Map
    This forum, as you have seen, dedicated to sportbikes. By using our beloved V4 you have captured many of our attentions. You might, however, get some crap from people who hate choppers.

Welcome aboard. Hope we can help with some of your technical questions. When you are done we would love to hear sound clips and see some performance numbers. Have fun.

11. Clark Kent

Clark Kent New Member

The motor is out of the interceptor I have :biggrin:. Although the magna and the interceptor motors are the same, so I guess it really doesn't matter. I also have two more motors for back up if there's any mishaps while tuning out the turbo setup.

12. Clark Kent

Clark Kent New Member

updated progress pics.

Attached Files:

13. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    Looking pretty cool. You gonna ride it daily or is it more just for the experience?

14. goinphaster

goinphaster New Member

Nice. if I had the resources, this looks like something I would do to my V30 Magna

15. Clark Kent

Clark Kent New Member

I'll ride it around the city, gym and back, maybe to work if I find a job soon. Anyone looking for a good process/manfacturing engineer in Philly?

Sold both gsxr's before moving down to Philly with intentions of buying a tourer or cruiser once I find a job. I kinda like the warrior, some victorys, but I might buy another sport touring bike (vfr?).

In the meantime I'm using some free time to build this bike. Always wanted a rigid chopper/bobber with a v4 motor in it.

16. Clark Kent

Clark Kent New Member

I got the carbs on and the wiring completed. Man, getting those carbs on is a PITA. Kicked the bike over a couple of times to make sure everything was cool with no fueling.

Couple of questions, don't know why I didn't label this before removing, but what's the rubber hose on the back side of the carbs? It's maybe 1.5 feet long and I can't figure out where the hell it goes? Is it just a drain that's meant to hang below the bike?

Second, the rear coil, which lead does the yellow wire go?

Third, I'm going to gavity feed this bike. I found a little info that it isn't a problem depending on location. I've placed the petcock just below the carbs, but considering the tank is high and now tip backwards more I wouldn't think it would be an issue to gavity feed.

17. Clark Kent

Clark Kent New Member

Well it runs, it's loud, and I would love to take it up the street for a shake down. However I can't seem to get this clutch to work. I've bleed it down, even at the banjos, but can't seem to build pressure with the slave mounted. If I take the slave off and clamp it then it builds great pressure. Bolt it back on and nothing.... This is my second evening frigging with it and left frustrated with no enjoyment of seeing how much of a pounding this rigid is going to give me.

18. Badbilly

United States
    Question: Are your clutch components matched? IOW, are all the components from the same bike? I'm not an engineer but was taught to really take it slow when doing any work on hydraulics on bikes. Hopefully it's something easy to fix.

I can help some on the forthcoming butt pounding. It's gonna happen. I have a rigid dirtracker. I had a guy make me up some "Preparation H" Tshirts once just to give out to a few friends and nearly got busted for copyright and trademark infringement.

19. Clark Kent

Clark Kent New Member

all parts are from the v30

I find it odd I can build great pressure with just the slave clamped but the moment I bolt up the slave there's zero pressure.

20. Lgn001

Lgn001 Member

United States
    Map
    Is the clutch push rod long enough? I'm wondering if the slave cylinder is at the end of it's travel.

BTW, I'm not much of a chopper guy, but I really like the lines you've come up with. It's fun to look at a bike and think it means trouble... Nice job!