New Chain.........Finally.

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by crustyrider, Sep 20, 2010.

1. crustyrider

crustyrider New Member

Map
    So I really really needed a chain for the old girl....When I say really.... I mean really ... the adjusters were topped out and the chain still had sag in it....It was definately time to get a new one. anyway I went on E-bay and found this one. Honda VFR700 VFR 700 Interceptor 1986-1987 O Ring Chain: eBay Motors (item 380262358907 end time Sep-23-10 12:33:15 PDT)
    did the buy it now last friday , and got it in the mail today. It took me about 5 minutes to remove the old one attach the new one to it and roll it onto the bike. then set the adjusters to the "new " setting popped the master link on it and BAM . the bike is rolling again.... I may just be excited that I have a new chain , but the bike is handling differently, not in a bad way but it seems to corner better. maybe its just me but with the amount of adjustment that I had to do the wheel base actually shortened about two inches...... would that be enough to change the handling?

oh yeah the old chain used to be an O-ring chain....... but I didn't see any O-rings left on it . I guess I deserve a :wedgie: for letting it get that bad... I am really lucky I didn't have a catastrophic failure.........

2. Fazer1Sniper

Fazer1Sniper New Member

We have all been there, just trying to get a little more life out of worn parts. My Metzler M3 had 5 belts showing when I took it off. I need a chain this off season, and the thunking sound and thump durring shifting is telling me I'm doing my first Yamaha clutch. Happy days.

3. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    I'm on my third set already on mine. With the commuting I do and where and when I commute, it is not worththe risk of looisng a chain at 03:00 out on the highway away from everyone except those fucking stinky dairy cows.

4. Mark 024

Mark 024 New Member

Australia
    Map
    I just ordered a chain break/rivet kit today. Will see how I go.
    I cant believe a chain will stretch that much. I suppose that's why the O rings were missin

5. crustyrider

crustyrider New Member

Map
    I should pull the old one back out and slap a tape measure to it. just to see how long it is..although, I didn't count them but it may be over 110 links... at least that what the new one is

6. Lgn001

Lgn001 Member

United States
    Map

7. crustyrider

crustyrider New Member

Map
    I can't believe I didn't replace it earlier...what a difference...the bike is quieter on the freeway,, no more Chain slap,no Catchup" for power just give her a twist and the power is right to the wheel.....

8. Mark 024

Mark 024 New Member

Australia
    Map
    That would be an interesting exercise