New battery time?

Discussion in '8th Generation 2014-Present' started by SubyRS, Jun 24, 2022.

1. SubyRS

SubyRS Insider

United States
    Map
    I've been noticing my 14' cranks a little slow when the bike has been stopped hot, then restarted again (to pull into my garage). Yesterday during the same scenario after work and in my home driveway, I hit the starter and it almost did not crank over. It starts well enough when cold, but labors to start when hot. It may not start next time : /

Battery history as well as the bike is an unknown. I am at least the third owner. Since the bike has only 3300 miles on it, the battery "looks" new. Should the OEM Yuasa YTZ12S be past its useful life at this point with the low miles? I read that they are supposed to last for years and years in other posts. Since it is a sealed battery, my usual hydrometer check for each cell condition is not applicable. My Motobat AGM battery on my Yamaha FZR was 10 years old and still going strong when I sold it.

Looking at prices from $142 to $235 for this battery. My Honda dealer wants $185 with a little off for my core exchange.

2. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    test the charging system output across battery terminals with the engine running (4000 rpm), should see at least 13.5 volts.

next

put the battery on a 1-amp charger for about 8 hours, let it rest for an hour, then test the voltage. should be 12.6 volts or very close.

foolish to pay the dealer price :eek:

3. Grum

Grum New Member

Australia
    Hi Suby.
    Sounds like it's had its day, it is 8 years old. The bike "has only 3300 miles on it"- that is a Negative for the battery, this means it's probably had many months of non use or charging! Lead Acid batteries/AGM technology don't like sitting idle for lengthy time without a good maintenance charge.
    As Squirrelman suggested fully charge the battery, you could take it along to a good Automotive Spares place and they can properly Load Check it for you free of charge!
    If you go for a Yuasa replacement or equivalent, get the YTZ14S instead of the 12S, its the same physical size but has slightly better cranking amp capacity.
    Also, the 8gen has an excellent charging system. You should be seeing approximately 14.5v at the battery at any RPM.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2022
  4. SubyRS

SubyRS Insider

United States
    Map
    Thanks. The bike would not crank over yesterday so I took the battery out and headed over to Honda where I purchased a new Yuasa for $168 with my core deposit. The 14s was quite a bit more expensive than the 12s so I stayed with stock. I don't have a charger as we can ride 360 days a year here in Southern California....so keeping a bike charged is never really an issue for most riders. Next stop is tire shopping.

5. FJ12rydertoo

FJ12rydertoo Member

United States
    Map
    Wally World is my go-to for batteries. Yuasa priced themselves out of my pocketbook years ago.

6. SubyRS

SubyRS Insider

United States
    Map
    True. I was thinking it was the same price I paid for my Diehard truck battery last Summer.
    Next time I will order a MotoBatt 14S ahead of time for $104 instead of $168. I was very happy with my last one that was 10 years old and still cranking strong.
    I just did not want to wait a week not being able to ride to work waiting for a battery.