New and Looking!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Scott91370, May 23, 2022.

1. Scott91370

Scott91370 New Member

United States
    Map
    Hey all! I laid down my 2002 F4i back in December and I htink it's time to get back in the saddle. I've always liked the 2002 version and found one. Before going to look at it I was wondering if the group could give me things to look for that would be specific to these bikes that I should be worried about.

upload_2022-5-23_13-16-44.png

This one is a 2002 with 40k miles. Non-ABS. Personally I htink the price is a little high at $4,500 but it is a starting point.
    I've only seen a few pics and it looks clean, but we al lknow how quickly that can go south!

Thanks in advance for any and all help!

2. RllwJoe

RllwJoe Insider

United States
    Map
    Welcome Scott. Many of us on this forum have had or still have a CBR. Too bad about the loss of your F4i.

You will find that the VFRs are noticeably heavier than the CBR. So be prepared when at a standstill or when moving slowly.

What to watch out for....... well the 6th gen owners will have the most accurate advice for you, but some of them would likey start with checking the charging system. Bring a multi-meter with you and check the battery before starting and both while idling and at about 5k RPMs. A R/R that is failing will oftimes allow a lower voltage when the RPMs increase, a good one should be in the range of 13- 14.5 volt when running.

Cam chain tensioners are likey to need replacement with that many miles on the bike. Ask if they have been done yet. They begin to make noise when they wear out. From what I have read here on VFRW DIY replacement is possible, and having the stealership do it can be expensive enough to encourage you to do it yourself.

Both of these items can be upgraded, so they may not be a deal breaker for you. Just a "heads up".

Scott91370 likes this.
  3. Scott91370

Scott91370 New Member

United States
    Map
    weight isn't too much an issue - it's between a VFR and a Goldwing so I know it'll be a change there.

I did read about both the r/r (but didn't know how to check) and the CCT (F4i's suffered this as well - odd they haven't come up with a good replacement). I'm pretty mechanically inclined so replacing them doesn't worry me - much.

Thanks for the input and the welcome!

4. SubyRS

SubyRS Insider

United States
    Map
    Hi and welcome Scott : ) If you want a V-4 VFR the question usually comes down to which one are you in love with. With me its the 1995-97's. But having done two complete M/C restores in my life has me now asking myself how much time (years) do I want to spend hunting down parts.... again? That was a huge factor for me this time so I decided on a 2014 Interceptor, and it looks fantastic too! No matter which one you decide on try to find one with lowest miles because they are still out there. Shipping a bike enclosed USA coast to coast runs about 1K. Shorter distance is less money. I've seen a 2004 VFR800 with only 2K miles on it for $5700. I think it is still on Cycle Trader right now. Just needs shipping from New Jersey. There is a 2015 VFR for $6800 in Texas with only 3K miles, original owner. I took 4 months finding my 2014 with 28oo miles on it. Well wort it because I have a brand new bike : ) Parts will be available for quite a while too.

Scott91370 likes this.
  5. Scott91370

Scott91370 New Member

United States
    Map
    I do like the 2002 and honestly don't think I've seen any of the newer generations in person. I will continue to search since I am not in a rush - I don't ride from about now until Sept/Oct when it cools off.

Not sure why but I never thought to justy do a search for VRF for sale in Texas but when I did I found several with pretty decent pricing.

I'd like to stay close to $4100 since that's what I got in my settlement when mine was totalled but if I need to toss in more to get a better mahcine I'm not afraid of that.

SubyRS likes this.
  6. SubyRS

SubyRS Insider

United States
    Map
    I wasn't sure what you wanted to spend but taking time pays off. This little beauty on SF Craigslist is a real find if you want another CBR F4i.
    https://lasvegas.craigslist.org/mpo/d/las-vegas-2001-cbr-600-f4i-bonus-arai/7477696613.html
    Just needs shipping or a friend in Las Vegas to pick up : )

Also since I did this for 4 months and found out the hard way, when you do Craigslist or Cycle Trader searches check for VFR's and Interceptors in separate searches. The bikes come up different even though people may have 'VFR' and 'Interceptor' in their Add title. You will find some otherwise "hidden" adds that way : )

Last edited: May 26, 2022
    Scott91370 likes this.
  7. Scott91370

Scott91370 New Member

United States
    Map
    That is some good info. Since I'm not in a rush I think I will keep searching all over. I don't mind driving to pick up and trialer a bike home if ti is clean enough and what I want.

Thanks!!!