New AlpineStars SMX-3 GoreTex Boots ?

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by John451, Aug 3, 2007.

1. John451

John451 Member

Australia
    Anyone have a pair AlpineStars SMX-3 GoreTex Boots and care to comment on them ?

Needed to replace my much loved but now old ( Jan 2003 ) and a little taty Alpinestars Vortex Gortex (disc) ST boots and with permission from the better half went out and bought some great looking new AlpineStars SMX-3 Black GoreTex Boots.

Bought them because of the good service my old boots have given but also becouse they look flash and being Gortex expect they'll be 100% water proof like all my other Gortex touring gear...

Haven't riden in them yet but hoping they'll be comfortable and give good service.

[​IMG]

2. John451

John451 Member

Australia
    Having worn these boots on rainy commutes and on long rides have found they have worn in beautifully.

Was initially concered as they were a little tight on the top of my foot and inside ankle joint but after walking around with them around the house a bit at first then on my odd work commute have since found they quickly felt comfortable while on tour.

Haven't tried them in sustained rain but the odd commutes have included showers and being Gortex they didn't even come close to letting moisture inside.

Caught up with riding buddy last weeked who has had an identicle pair for 6 months, he remarked they are without doubt the best pair of boots he has even owned.

Brilliant in winter then, warm snug & waterproof, will see how they perform in the approaching Summer.

3. derstuka

derstuka Lord of the Wankers Staff Member

Map
    I almost bought a brand new pair of those on e-bay last year. Nice looking sneakers they are. I ended up getting the sidi B-2 boots. Have to say that I love them. I have always liked sidi quality in mtn biking shoes and motorcycling boots. Anyways, glad to hear you like your new boots. Next time, I was thinking of even going one step higher and getting a pair of boots with more ankle protection.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 28, 2007
  4. John451

John451 Member

Australia
    Like the look of the Sidi B2's and think they look very cool. Had walked into the shop with the purpose of buying the B2's, tried them on and thought they felt pretty good.

In the end went for the little more expensive SMX-3 Gortex as they were the only boots with hard shin guard, 100% waterproof and still breath ok, have seen a resent Sidi advertisment announcing a newly released Gortex boot but haven't seen them in a store as yet. Maybe next time. :smile:

5. John451

John451 Member

Australia
    If you want quality race boots that are designed to look like bling sneakers check out these new AlpineStar Supertech's.

[​IMG]

6. John451

John451 Member

Australia
    Killa Boots

Nearly 2 years on still love these boots, as expected they are warm bed in winter comfortable on tour and 100% waterproof even through 6 hours of worst rain in 15 years downpours, one thing I found out today is they are not subtle enough to get away wearing around the office.

Being an outstanding sunny and clear morning decided at the last moment to ride to work but accidently left my black leather dress shoes behind. After getting to work with a Dohh the first words I heard from my work collegues was " Killa boots Man " ( from Dumb and Dumber movie ).

Must say though becides suffering the odd joke liking me to Robo Cop & Frankenstien I found the boots plesently all day comfortable even after tromping up and down 4 levels of stairs multiple times and still wearing Draggin Jeans saved time suiting back up before heading home. :smile:

7. two4one

two4one New Member

United States
    Map
    Just chiming in. I'm on my second pair of SMX boots. No need to look anywhere else for a pair of boots as far as I'm concerned. Excellent fit, durable and versatile. I used these for both track duty as well as touring. Very comfy over the course of a long day.

8. zPix87

zPix87 New Member

I have just plain ol' SMX-3's that I found for cheap on eBay. Excellent pair of boots! But I'm curious if anybody knows how they would hold up in the rain without the gortex layer?

9. John451

John451 Member

Australia
    Now 4 years old my SMX-3 Gortex have held up well are still all day comfortable and 100% waterproof, one problem is both L & R sides top flaps have stropped Velcroing so have taken to strap up with electrical tape.

Has anyone ever had the boots Velcro replaced, is it worth while ?

10. Pliskin

Pliskin New Member

United States
    Map
    I don't see why not, John. Any decent set of new boots is going to run $250+ USD (not sure about down under), so if you can get them re-vecroed, seems like it would be money well spent.

11. crustyrider

crustyrider New Member

Map
    not sure where you need the velcro replaced ...but you can do it yourself... buy the new piece of velcro and thread ,, and use a hook needle (looks like the ones the docs use for stitches) and your all set

12. John451

John451 Member

Australia
    Doing myself ? never considered it but as it fits my current budget might give it a try.

13. Pliskin

Pliskin New Member

United States
    Map
    OK, well on the note of doing it yourself, rather than needle and thread, how about removing all the old and using Super/Crazy/Gorilla glue on the new?

14. Spike

Spike New Member

or go to a shoe repair place and have them stitch it on, would cost you a little, but probly not much, certainly less than a new pair. And if it is a good cobbler, it would be done right.