Need some Regulator / Rectifer help.

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by bmarshall1, Jun 15, 2010.

1. bmarshall1

bmarshall1 New Member

Need some r/r advice. I am pretty mechanical but not with elecrical systems, so please bear with me.

1997 VFR 750, about 10k miles, I went for a ride yesterday, it was very hot and i was riding pretty hard. Brand new battery (old one died? maybe not>is it the r/r)).

Anywho... bike died at a stop light and would not restart, only a few click of the starter, r/r was very, very hot to the touch. Recharged the battery at a gas station and made it home. Put a volt meter on the battery and it showed no increase in volts as I revved the bike. I assume it's not charging?

Here is one of my questions, I tested the r/r according to the service manual and there was no change in the reading on the ohm meter between ANY of the connectors. According to manual it shoud be between .5 and 1.

What is the ohm reading of a bad r/r between connector pins?

I also tested the ohms between yellow wires on the 5 pin plug and each read .7, although the manual stated between 1 and 2, is this something to be worried about?

Lastly I tried to perform the charging test which made no sense- the manual tells you to remove the starter fuse, then to start the bike, how can that be done?

Other than that the r/r looks OK, the wiring is fine, the bike has about 10,000 miles, all connectors are corrosion free.

Any help??

2. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map