Need some fairing advice

Discussion in 'USA - Pacific Northwest' started by leakyinkpen, Jun 30, 2010.

1. leakyinkpen

leakyinkpen New Member

Just bought my first VFR, Bike rides like a dream with no mechanical issues. The fairings have a few areas with some cracks. Nothings serious, but would like to get it brand new (looking). I think I came across a post (somewhere) where a guy took his bike to an autobody shop and got some damage fixed for $90. Has anyone tried this and is it a good idea?

2. betarace

betarace New Member

3. afpierce489

afpierce489 New Member

United States
    Map
    Use Plasti-fix. Works wonders. Here's a link: Plasti-Fix

4. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    90 bucks is not gonna get you much at an autobody shop in the way of repair even if they don't sluff you off. Best bet if you are handy is to do a search on the net for a "how to" book on plastic repair. I would suggest one that is generic since many are product driven and address mostly how to fix stuff using proprietary products which amazingly enough are for sale via the "book". This is not to say some of the proprietary products are not all that good but some of the "wonder" products out there that make all sorts of promises are crap. The basics, are fairly narrowed down to chemical bonds and physical bonds ie goo in a tube or a plastic welder. Prices are all over the map. I use some stuff from NAPA that is great for about six bucks a pop. Plastic welders can be really pricey for the big rigs or you can look at what is online at tool suppliers like Harbor Freight. Since most "modern" faired bikes use ABS plastic, fixing a VFR is not much different than fixing another faired Honda, Yamaha or other. You are in an area where I will assume, there are gatherings of bike enthusiasts. Find a "bike night" and do some networking. PS If there are some ads attached to this post, I didn't put them there. Big Brother is selling you..