Need info on some mods.. volt meter?

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by Hero Danny, May 14, 2017.

1. Hero Danny

Hero Danny New Member

United States
    Map
    In regards to my new to me 2003 VFR800

I was wondering if anyone could help me out with some mods... I was thinking about wiring in a volt meter... but I really would prefer not to splice into the factory wiring harness...

My idea was to get a volt meter... something like this: https://www.amazon.com/MICTUNING-Di...94803333&sr=8-5&keywords=motorcycle+voltmeter

then I could have it wired onto the battery and also wire in a switch so whenever i wanna check it I can flip the switch and see the voltage then flip it off to prevent it from draining the battery while riding.

Just an idea... open to any suggestions/guides etc.

I also wanna add a gear indicator... https://www.amazon.com/VFR800-Inter...4803506&sr=8-1&keywords=vfr800+gear+indicator

In the description it said that it needs to be wired into the RPM signal plug... was hoping for more info about this.

Thanks everyone!

2. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

Kuwait
    Map
    I fitted a voltmeter to my 1999 5G, and installed a relay to power it. The positive feed goes from the battery post to an inline fuse, then through the switched side of the relay to the meter, the return goes straight from the meter to the negative terminal on the battery. The relay switching connections are joined to the tail light wires, the relay os cable-tied to the main harness on the right side near the RR.

The meter comes on automatically with the ignition, and I can't accidentally leave it switched on when I park. Tapping into the OEM taillight wires was easy and a little soldering work and heat shrink tubing makes for a permanent connection.

3. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

United States
    Map
    Install the voltmeter in a spot you can see it while riding so you can get an indication of the bikes charging system health while riding. - The voltmeter wont drain the battery when the bike is running....
    I have a switch under the seat and typically I will leave it on if I am riding often, but if not, I switch off, then on to check the battery before starting up.
    [​IMG]

Also check the thread for ideas....

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/index....ost-your-voltmeter-mount-pics/#comment-824323

4. wiremanjon

wiremanjon New Member

United States
    Map
    IMG_3729_edited.jpg I bent and made a bracket that is in the shape of a Z, that sits exactly on the bolts for the gas tank like Mello dudes, my voltage meter is bigger than the distance between the bolts, hence the bracket. Mello Dude's is nicer actually but mine is cool too. I wired mine into a a wire that came off the ignition switch. It's only on when the bike is on. I soldered it in and taped it, after all the problems this bike can have with wiring I have no qualms about altering or improving the factory wiring and that includes removing the stator connector and soldering it directly. Monitoring my voltage I believe is the way to go. When started and riding it always says 14.5 volts and that's what I'm watching. Hope this helped.

5. wiremanjon

wiremanjon New Member

United States
    Map
  6. Hero Danny

Hero Danny New Member

United States
    Map
    This is perfect thank you!

Are there any alternative switches I could wire it too? Not really sure how I feel about splicing into ignition. I heard some people say you can just power it to a relay and connect it to the battery to prevent it from staying on all the time, and also prevent splicing into factory wiring.

7. Hero Danny

Hero Danny New Member

United States
    Map
    This is great, I'll try and see if I can figure that out. I'm really new to electronics and wiring, etc. so I want to avoid any messing with the factory wiring... tail light wires will be fine though, kinda hard to mess those up!

8. wiremanjon

wiremanjon New Member

United States
    Map
    Sure, though the supplied wire won't reach the tail light wires, it's maybe 30" long. Maybe the head light or marker light wiring instead? Any wire that comes on only when the ignition is on, is good. The relay thing will work too. Though that's getting even more complicated.