Need an advice in order to buy VFR with engine problems

Discussion in '7th Generation 2010-Present' started by DesmoFab, Aug 21, 2017.

1. DesmoFab

DesmoFab New Member

France
    Hi all,

I am going to buy a 1200 VFR of 2010 with approximately 100 000km.
    The price is very attractive ( arround 2000€) but the engine seems to be almost dead.

It makes a very bad metalic sound. Crankshaft problems are very common on my Ducati.
    But for me the name of Honda sound with a very strong fiability, I cannot accept the an Honda's engine is died "only" after 100 000km. Few years ago, I prepared an old one pc25 with 200 000km for circuit and I neved encoutered any problems.

But defitnly, I'am reading some posts here and it seems that the new models are not born from the same engineers.

I hope that that metalic sound is only a bearing (like on 800VFR) but now I'am in a trouble.

What do you think about it ? Sould I make that bet ?

Thanks for your reply and sorry in case of spelling errors.

2. Diving Pete

Diving Pete Member

United States
    Map
    2010 is common-ish with crankshaft issues.

It WILL REQUIRE a new engine - walk away & find a better one

3. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

France
    Map
    Do not buy it!

Even if the bike was being sold for just I euro I would not consider it! - Fitting a replacement engine means spending thousands of euro and many man hours to fit it. Don't waste your time.

Sadly an early production batch of VFR1200 models delivered to Europe developed catastrophic engine problems - some almost immediately and some months or even years later. Rumour has it that swarf (metal filings) created during machining work had not always been thoroughly cleaned from the inside of these 1200 engines before they were constructed. Given the noise and other issues you mention - you are probably buying a money pit!

If you really want a 1200 then just look for 2012 onwards models - by which time the manufacturing issue had been identified and fixed and they also came with a bigger fuel tank which provided a better range - finally making the VFR1200 a great sport touring bike.

SkiMad